• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why Labour will win the next election"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    This is exactly why you need to get back to whatever it is you do, and stop pretending you know anything about politics (or anything really).
    That's why I like this site. We make the loons so comfortable they even think they can tell you off

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The hot bint in legal. I was just envisaging her without clothes.
    HTH
    This is exactly why you need to get back to whatever it is you do, and stop pretending you know anything about politics (or anything really).

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You're confusing the Conservative Party with Conservatism. Conservatism exists to offer economic freedom but social regulation...
    Fair point. This is because the Conservative Party's primary purpose is to get into power.

Not sure why you need to make this point slave.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Thatcher liberalised a lot, but you cannot say it was a socially liberal era. Little was done to reduce the role of the state in education and health, where it continues to perform abysmally. It was perhaps the only time in the last 100 years or so when there was some significant rollback of the state, and there is no sign in the Conservative party today of any interest in restricting the role of the state.
    One reason why I intend to vote for anything other than the main parties at the next election - after 6 votes for conservatives since I was eligible to vote.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    Lucy, can I ask if you believe in the death penalty?

A purist libertarian doesn't approve of preventative interventionist policing, such as security cameras and ID cards, which impact on the law abiding. But the flip side is that one must have very harsh deterrents to people making seriously wrong criminal choices such as rape and murder.

To a large extent I share that philosophy. But the point I'm making is that libertarianism is not always compatible with humanitarianism. You can't have your cake and eat it!

Well some do, and some don't. Since the state makes mistakes, taking someone's life isn't something I'd risk the state doing. This is a secondary argument, the issue is not should there be a dealth penalty, but what is a crime. Libertarians would review criminal justice.

On another point, how is the death penalty and humanitarianism? Some would say - harsh penalties should equal harsh deterrants.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Thatcher liberalised a lot, but you cannot say it was a socially liberal era. Little was done to reduce the role of the state in education and health, where it continues to perform abysmally. It was perhaps the only time in the last 100 years or so when there was some significant rollback of the state, and there is no sign in the Conservative party today of any interest in restricting the role of the state.

well said

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You're confusing the Conservative Party with Conservatism. Conservatism exists to offer economic freedom but social regulation...
    I thought that was antidisestablishmentarianism

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Conservatism means to conserve the status quo, it tends not to be liberal and shows no sign of wanting to shrink the role of the state in the economy or people's lives.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post

A purist libertarian doesn't approve of preventative interventionist policing, such as security cameras and ID cards, which impact on the law abiding. But the flip side is that one must have very harsh deterrents to people making seriously wrong criminal choices such as rape and murder.

To a large extent I share that philosophy. But the point I'm making is that libertarianism is not always compatible with humanitarianism. You can't have your cake and eat it!
    Don't confuse her with practicalities - they're not covered in the manual.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

So what is your vision?
    The hot bint in legal. I was just envisaging her without clothes.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    So the score is:

Conservative Party 1 (could do better) - Libertarian Party 0 (non-starter).
    (and you say my mental age is 10!)

So what is your vision?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    So the score is:

Conservative Party 1 (could do better) - Libertarian Party 0 (non-starter).

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Clearly that's what happened in the 80s

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Conservatism means to conserve the status quo, it tends not to be liberal and shows no sign of wanting to shrink the role of the state in the economy or people's lives.
    Clearly that's what happened in the 80s
    Doh!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X