• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Motivation

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Motivation"

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I agree - being paid per hour/day effectively means you're penalised for working hard and being good. If I could be paid according to how hard I worked, I'd work hard all the time and take more time off to compensate, which would be better all round.

Like you said above, I hate having nothing to do and enjoy the days where I am busy.
    Interesting... a friend of mine has recently started work as a "fiberglasser" ie fixing up the fiberglass on trucks etc. He gets paid per job done and can work as many hours as he wants (within reason) each day. So, lots of work done, lots of pay. Few jobs done, few pay!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Because - despite your best efforts - the client has insisted on doing it their way and the system is now shagged. Only a few more days Zip. Keep going - you CAN do it.

A purely hypothetical example of course...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Overcharging contractors, about time the OFT ruled against overcharging contractors for the sake of the poor clients

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    If you were rewarded for finishing early or for extra work completed then you would be more motivated
    I agree - being paid per hour/day effectively means you're penalised for working hard and being good. If I could be paid according to how hard I worked, I'd work hard all the time and take more time off to compensate, which would be better all round.

Like you said above, I hate having nothing to do and enjoy the days where I am busy.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Why is it so difficult to motivate yourself to work some days?
    The actual answer is it's because you don't have a particular incentive to work any one day, over another.

Yes we all work because we want to earn but as long as you meet deadlines etc there is no marginal benefit for you to work hard today (unless the deadline is tomorrow) so there is no point doing it.

If you were rewarded for finishing early or for extra work completed then you would be more motivated

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    The answer is that IT is tuliptie , grubby profession. I have been 6 months on my longest contract yet , and I have started exhibited typical permie behaviour -STAY LOW. I was not like that. But then I just remind myself - you here for money only.
    Pardon

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I don't know and I can't be bothered to find out.

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    The answer is that IT is tuliptie , grubby profession. I have been 6 months on my longest contract yet , and I have started exibiting typical permie behaviour -STAY LOW. I was not like that. But then I just remind myself - you here for money only.
    Last edited by Likely; 25 April 2008, 11:17.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Or study?

I've had coursework to do for two weeks, for tomorrow, when am I doing it?

Today

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    I have the same problem... it's wierd since on the days which I do knuckle down and get stuff done I actually enjoy it a little, the day goes much quicker and get a sense of fulfilment and job satisfaction... it's just that first hurdle of switching this forum and the rest of the net off!

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    You have days when it's *not* difficult?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Motivation

Motivation

Working...
X