• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Happy ANZAC Day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy ANZAC Day"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Shame some of the others on this site take a thread like this and try and score petty points from it.

Yes it is a shame. Sorry for being so offensive.

[whistles and walks away very quietly...in the direction of the thicker skinned members of the zoo. I can see a rhino. Hope he's not that pleased to see me.]
    Last edited by PAH; 25 April 2008, 18:32.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Yes we use the poppy as well.

This isnt a day for showing off how NZ does it, I am under no doubt that British people would care as much for a national memorial day as we do, I dont agree with Snaw about that. He is right about the birth of a nation, but we have a seperate holiday for that.
    ANZAC day is truely about respect and remembrance, not chest thumping. Simply an acknowledgement made to people who died for our country.

I think its a real shame that Nov 11th isnt a national holiday.
    I agree but we have developed a tradition of remembrance Sunday and it works for most.
    Shame some of the others on this site take a thread like this and try and score petty points from it.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Well done Tay. ANZACs should be remembered and honoured.
    Is there a symbol like the poppy we use?

I shall be playing the Pogues "and the band played waltzing Matilda" in their honour this afternoon. (I dont have it by anyone else).
    Yes we use the poppy as well.

This isnt a day for showing off how NZ does it, I am under no doubt that British people would care as much for a national memorial day as we do, I dont agree with Snaw about that. He is right about the birth of a nation, but we have a seperate holiday for that.
    ANZAC day is truely about respect and remembrance, not chest thumping. Simply an acknowledgement made to people who died for our country.

I think its a real shame that Nov 11th isnt a national holiday.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Been up since 330 this morning, was at the Dawn Service and then back at it again at Westminster Abbey at noon.

..... and on the sauce since then .....

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Been up since 330 this morning, was at the Dawn Service and then back at it again at Westminster Abbey at noon.

I reckon you poms should definately have a proper day of rememerance (ie. any other day except a weekend!). This would definately help you guys with having pride in your country.

Having said that, I bet there would be some numpty who would have his human rights infringed by such a day. Probably one of those religion of peace followers!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    As someone who was very much into running as a lad, for me Gallipoli is a much better film than Chariots of Fire, yet which one won the oscars? The wrong one.
    Hasn't it got Mel Gibson in it? Reason enough to deny an Oscar in my book.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    As someone who was very much into running as a lad, for me Gallipoli is a much better film than Chariots of Fire, yet which one won the oscars? The wrong one.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Well done Tay. ANZACs should be remembered and honoured.
    Is there a symbol like the poppy we use?

I shall be playing the Pogues "and the band played waltzing Matilda" in their honour this afternoon. (I dont have it by anyone else).

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I don't see Anzac day commemorations as any different to Remembrance Sunday - at least as it is observed in my household.
    They feel different to me, though partly that could be just because ANZAC day is a public holiday on Aus. But historically it's generally recognised as a turning point in Australia's history (Not so sure about NZ, never lived there).

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    It's a bit different for you guys. Not just remembering a war, also sort of the birth of consciousness of a nation(s).

Not meaning to be dismissive in the slightest (Though knowing you're a sensitive wee soul you'll probably embark on a month of stalking me again) you guys don't really have much in the way of history, so express it in events like this (or sport).

It's also my wedding anniversary today ... great if we move back to aus, it'll always be on a public holiday.
    I don't see Anzac day commemorations as any different to Remembrance Sunday - at least as it is observed in my household.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    It's a bit different for you guys. Not just remembering a war, also sort of the birth of consciousness of a nation(s).
    Not meaning to be dismissive in the slightest (Though knowing you're a sensitive wee soul you'll probably embark on a month of stalking me again) you guys don't really have much in the way of history, so express it in events like this (or sport).

It's also my wedding anniversary today ... great if we move back to aus, it'll always be on a public holiday.
    Completely agree, Aus & NZ saw themselves as another part of the empire, 'where Britain goes we go' etc After the ANZAC losses this started to be questioned.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Lions led by donkeys springs to mind ...There was a serious lack of professionalism in the British Army officer class for most of the 20th century. I suspect things are better now
    Funny that, Gallipoli was our greatest leaders idea (At least he was held responsible). Old Winston that is.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Appreciate the sentiment tay, but not sure I would use the word 'happy'.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That's what Google said... but I didn't believe it...
    Hard to believe I know that google is as accurate as SKA but sometimes they do get it right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X