• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eurostar sets a new record!"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    for the entire 48 hours??
    You could have had a field day over the 10 hours!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    was on Eurostar over the weekend, bloody great.

TM
    for the entire 48 hours??

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    was on Eurostar over the weekend, bloody great.

TM

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Back from NY on Friday, fretting having to line up at immigration for a couple hours as it was after 830pm and the business class lane was closed!

BUT low and behold, there was no one in the "other passports" queue, while a million poms stood quietly in their lane waiting for the single immigration officer to deal with them!

Lo and behold.

But seriously, I've never had a problem jumping to the other lane

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    It seems to be all you read about these days. Stuck on a eurostar for hours, stuck at T5 for a couple of days, and that bloke hanging around Paddington for nearly a week....... I ask yer.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    The trouble with Schipol is that they may check you in in a couple of seconds (I wouldn't know I always check in online) but the security scanning is done at the gate. I've been at the end of a line of 75-100 people waiting for this and there's no business fast track.
    I *think* it depends on routing and whether you are Schengen - Non Schengen.

If I transit AMS to somewhere in euro land then it's a zone switch and there is all that messing about in between - but nothing at the gate. When transitting for Montreal or SVO it was never really an issue - but yes the scanner at the gate could be a pain.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    The trouble with Schipol is that they may check you in in a couple of seconds (I wouldn't know I always check in online) but the security scanning is done at the gate. I've been at the end of a line of 75-100 people waiting for this and there's no business fast track.
    you need to work on your timing

I generally aim to get there when the queue is almost done, so about 5-10 people waiting.

At least you aren't having to queue with all the other flights at the same time like in the UK airports

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Perfect example of this is Airports...
    got to Heathrow and there are huge checking in queues everywhere, go to Schiphol and you'll be checked in within minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Back from NY on Friday, fretting having to line up at immigration for a couple hours as it was after 830pm and the business class lane was closed!

BUT low and behold, there was no one in the "other passports" queue, while a million poms stood quietly in their lane waiting for the single immigration officer to deal with them!

Mailman
    If I had my way you foreigners would be 'sheep-dipped' on the way into the country.

Baa.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    go to Heathrow
    never again if I can help it

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    In France, any nonsense and they will start a riot and torch something - in this country we just tut a bit and write a letter to the times...
    got to Heathrow and there are huge checking in queues everywhere, go to Schiphol and you'll be checked in within minutes.
    I've never seen an international aiport (including Chennai in India) run as badly as a UK airport, no other nation on the planet would put up with the crap that we do, especially when they've paid for a service

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You are so right. I was on a Eurostar from Brussels to London. The train was delayed five hours making the journey time of about seven. Cafeteria was closed and not even drinking water available. On arrival in London not only the Eurostar office was closed but also it was too late in the evening/early morning to catch onward connections. No compensation what so ever from Eurostar.
    So proves it is not a Eurostar difference - just difference in the way French/English work?

In France, any nonsense and they will start a riot and torch something - in this country we just tut a bit and write a letter to the times...

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You are so right. I was on a Eurostar from Brussels to London.
    woop woop MEP alert

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    "When the Eurostar finally pulled into the station at around 9:15 a.m., almost 10 hours after its scheduled time, passengers were greeted by rail staff offering compensation vouchers and breakfast as well as a crowd of reporters and cameramen."

In the UK they would have got nothing - at least Eurostar got something right.

You are so right. I was on a Eurostar from Brussels to London. The train was delayed five hours making the journey time of about seven. Cafeteria was closed and not even drinking water available. On arrival in London not only the Eurostar office was closed but also it was too late in the evening/early morning to catch onward connections. No compensation what so ever from Eurostar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X