• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: plasma or lcd?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "plasma or lcd?"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    £3,243.00
    You get what you pay for :P

Expensive but blows everything else away.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

That way madness lies!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

You'll be paying £1000 for oxygen free sonically perfect kettle leads before you can say Cap'n Jack...
    A few years back I saw some speaker cable advertised at over £14,000 for 2x 3m

Just saw some that reportedly cost $55,000

The really daft thing is the people who pay that sort of money are typically in their 50's or 60's... the human ear degenerates from about 20, kids with iPods and cheap ear buds are getting a better audio experience.

Audiofools indeed!
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 18 April 2008, 14:01.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Kef, Mission, B&W all good but pricey.

Just make sure you get a separate amp with good connectivity (HDMI & optical) Pioneer, Sony, Denon etc.

Your best bet is to go to a large independent HiFi shop and listen to a few setups.

Tip: Leave you debit card at home so you don't make any rash decisions!

For TV’s if I was getting a very large screen I’d have gone for Plasma but as 37” was the max my room could realistically take I had to go for LCD.
    http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/pro...8_5875566.html was about £399 when i bought one in Jan. excellent bit of kit and upscales everything thats is run through it. 2 HDMI and handles all the HD sound. not many do that. runs great as 5.1 and sets up v easily.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Pinoeer Kuro without a doubt. Need to make sure you get the true 1920 * 1080 one though:

http://www.redentor.co.uk/pioneer-pd...98b59a36994b79

I don't believe Panasonic has ever been better than the real Kuro's.
    £3,243.00

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Pinoeer Kuro without a doubt. Need to make sure you get the true 1920 * 1080 one though:

http://www.redentor.co.uk/pioneer-pd...98b59a36994b79

I don't believe Panasonic has ever been better than the real Kuro's.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Ditto. By the way I have not got around to getting some decent 5.1 speakers. Tried but got no real defintive answers here

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...light=speakers

Any recommendations?
    Kef, Mission, B&W all good but pricey.

Just make sure you get a separate amp with good connectivity (HDMI & optical) Pioneer, Sony, Denon etc.

Your best bet is to go to a large independent HiFi shop and listen to a few setups.

Tip: Leave you debit card at home so you don't make any rash decisions!

For TV’s if I was getting a very large screen I’d have gone for Plasma but as 37” was the max my room could realistically take I had to go for LCD.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I bought What LCD & Plasma when I bought ours. I bought a LG LCD 32 inch one for the bedroom (it's quite a big room). I wasn't too fussed about this one as it won't be watched as often as the one downstairs. This one was about 500 but it is 6 months old now. The one I bought for the lounge was a sharp 42inch one as it scored highly on all the tests and was a 1080p one. It's LCD also and was about 950 6 months ago. It looks great when watching HD on it. Plasma is good for doing true black because LCD uses a big lamp inside. On the big screens plasma had the edge in terms of screen refresh, but that isn't the case now. I watch loads of football on it in HD and it's spot on. LCD use a lot less power than plasma and so give off less heat and they are a lot lighter which is important if you are thinking of putting them on the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    LCD. Sony
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Ditto. By the way I have not got around to getting some decent 5.1 speakers. Tried but got no real defintive answers here

Any recommendations?
    Nah to be honest, I got a denon home surround deal that's more than good enough for me a few years back.

I'd post on that forum (Under speakers) with your requirements and let the audiophiles sort you out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    A proper contractor would have just bought a bigger house to make the TV fit.
    Don't you live in your mum's spare room?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I got a size appropriate for the room it sits in, 37 was about the limit of what would look ok, the bigger sizes would just have been way too big.

Any recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I got a size appropriate for the room it sits in, 37 was about the limit of what would look ok, the bigger sizes would just have been way too big.
    A proper contractor would have just bought a bigger house to make the TV fit.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    smaller

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    That looks pretty decent. Sorry my instinctive reaction with all things sony is to be dismissive.

Mine is better though ;-)
    smaller

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    That looks pretty decent. Sorry my instinctive reaction with all things sony is to be dismissive.

Mine is better though ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X