• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working in Singapore"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by dude69 View Post
    It's worth pointing out, in this context, that crime levels in Singapore are stupidly low.

For instance:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/stats/stats2006_index.htm

946 robberies
    171 burglaries of private residencies
    900 vehicles stolen (647 of those were motorbikes)
    118 rapes

By contrast, there were over 60,000 burglaries of dwellings in London in the same period:

http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/to...=19&sub=0&v=36

So that's nearly 500 times fewer burglaries than London.

you say that, but I was robbed three times whilst I was there, once by a camera shop, once by a clothes shop and once by an Irish bar.

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    ok, i got the gig, so now i have a few q's which I thought I'd ask the panel while doing my own research..

Do I need a working Visa?
    Do I need any Injections etc.?
    Whats the best way to transfer money etc. (I'll be paid in GBP)?
    Any advice with fitting in with the locals?

Any advice in telling g'friend chef with minimum sulking as a result?
    "umm you know i mentioned i applied for that gig abroad, somewhere hot, well, um, i got it and i'll be gone for min 3 months and err it's Singapore, will be leaving in 10 days."

Chef
    Hey Chef nice one!

Duck when she slaps you.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Nice one chef.
    Can I come?

Take the gf for the first week, take her for cocktails to the Raffles hotel. Dinner too.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    ok, i got the gig, so now i have a few q's which I thought I'd ask the panel while doing my own research..

"umm you know i mentioned i applied for that gig abroad, somewhere hot, well, um, i got it and i'll be gone for min 3 months and err it's Singapore, will be leaving in 10 days."

Chef
    If I remember correctly yellow fever is needed and it really stings like a bastard. Most painful injection I ever remember having.

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Did a gig there a few years ago.
    Threaded's right about the heat, and it doesnt get much cooler at night btw. Jugs of Tiger beer are a must, but steer clear of any Irish bars, they are organised clip joints. The laws on chewy have been relaxed also.

I got approched in Orchard road by two beauties who were marvelling at my shoulders, most chinese men are not broad shouldered. They were rubbing me up and down and squeezing my muscles, I tell you chef I was sporting a boner. Then I noticed the adams apples.

Watch out for the ethnic rivalry between the Indians and the Chinese, they hate each other, and watch out for 'staring incidents'. I was reading the crime stats in the Straits times, murders were down, rapes were down, burglaries were stable, violence due to staring incidents was up 60%. WTF.

It's worth pointing out, in this context, that crime levels in Singapore are stupidly low.

For instance:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/stats/stats2006_index.htm

946 robberies
    171 burglaries of private residencies
    900 vehicles stolen (647 of those were motorbikes)
    118 rapes

By contrast, there were over 60,000 burglaries of dwellings in London in the same period:

http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/to...=19&sub=0&v=36

So that's nearly 500 times fewer burglaries than London.

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Don't worry about the mrs chef - isn't Singapore the city with the four floors of wh*res?
    Orchard Towers to be precise. Not as patron but I did grow up in Singapore.

It is bloody hot but prone to tipping it down for about 1-2 hrs and then clearing up again.

Eating is the national sport, don't be shy and get stuck in!

Injections, defiantly not. They used to warn you about the water coming to the UK!

Work visa, unsure can find out if you like, or have a quick chat with the embassy here, http://singapore.embassyhomepage.com/

There is a large expect scene and the locals are friendly. Having lived there for 18 years there is very little nonsense you will encounter. In fact I’d be surprised if you encountered any. The local transport is excellent and cabs are dirt cheap, (compared to the UK)

Tiger beer is certainly to be enjoyed by the gallon, but, as its hot be careful!!!!! Hangovers are tripled due to the heat and dehydration, We used to have a bottle of beer and a glass of coke at the same time. Helps a bit.

This may sound silly but bring a jumper/sweater for work. As everywhere is air-conditioned it can be bloody freezing in malls once you come in from the heat. More so in offices.

PM me for things to do etc as I recently made up a list for a few mates of mine who were heading and I took my gf there for the first time last September and so had a large list of things to do.

You lucky bar-steward!! enjoy
    Last edited by Swiss Tony; 17 April 2008, 13:46. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Don't worry about the mrs chef - isn't Singapore the city with the four floors of wh*res?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Watch out for the food, it is cheap and very good, you could end up worse than Churchill within only a few days.
    Chef, enjoy and well done!

Threaded, get f*cked and that'll be a first!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Chef
    Did a gig there a few years ago.
    Threaded's right about the heat, and it doesnt get much cooler at night btw. Jugs of Tiger beer are a must, but steer clear of any Irish bars, they are organised clip joints. The laws on chewy have been relaxed also.

I got approched in Orchard road by two beauties who were marvelling at my shoulders, most chinese men are not broad shouldered. They were rubbing me up and down and squeezing my muscles, I tell you chef I was sporting a boner. Then I noticed the adams apples.

Watch out for the ethnic rivalry between the Indians and the Chinese, they hate each other, and watch out for 'staring incidents'. I was reading the crime stats in the Straits times, murders were down, rapes were down, burglaries were stable, violence due to staring incidents was up 60%. WTF.

Basically young bruce lee lookalike thugs sit on street corners and stare at anyone who walks by. If you catch their eye its a direct challenge.

I was paid by cheque, three months late, withholding tax deducted. No injections required, cant remember about visa.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Best service I have used is called XE Trade

http://www.xe.com/fx/

Service is free, no charges except a very small commission. They transfer direct from aa GBP bank account into a native one. Meaning you need a native account in Singapore.

I've used this to send a lot of money to Canada, saved me alot of $$$ in the process.

It does take a week or more to setup, as they need references and signed documents (money laundering checks) but well worth it,

TM

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Remember that, generally, only the high ranking plod wear a uniform, all the rest are plain clothed and there are lots of them. If you notice people stopping walking when you do, they're probably just the plod making sure you're not going to be mugged, so don't fuss it.
    cobblers

Chewing gum is illegal and smuggling chewing gum is smuggling.
    Pharmacys sell sugar free chewing gum if you really want some

Singapore isn't the police state that some people will make out it is.

Since you're going by yourself that look out for KTV bars, they should help the evenings fly by

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Practice walking in the sun and then going straight into the office. Ensure, before you walk through the door, you can see somewhere to sit down suddenly. You'll only need to do this the first few days until you get used to it.

Carry packets of disposable tissues, you'll need them soon after you walk from outside into an office. Only for the first few days 'til you get used to it.

Get your hair cut.

Remember that, generally, only the high ranking plod wear a uniform, all the rest are plain clothed and there are lots of them. If you notice people stopping walking when you do, they're probably just the plod making sure you're not going to be mugged, so don't fuss it.

Chewing gum is illegal and smuggling chewing gum is smuggling.

You've got to go to the Orchid park, it is wonderful.

Watch out for the food, it is cheap and very good, you could end up worse than Churchill within only a few days.

Enjoy, it is a very interesting place.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Good work chef!!

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    thanks folks
    Yes, i'll definately be able to post here although it's GMT +8hrs (no daylight savign) so midday here is 7pm there. But it's min 26C - max 34C
    Plus 80 - 90% humidity while outside, they've got air conditioning doen to a fine art!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    thanks folks

I've been there once before but only for 6 days as a backpacker staying in a slightly dodgy hostel for £8 a day, so i know the layout (roughly) of the city.

I agree, the food is great, but i've never worked out there so working practices etc. I guess I'll learn by the seat of my pants..

Yes, i'll definately be able to post here although it's GMT +8hrs (no daylight savign) so midday here is 7pm there. But it's min 26C - max 34C

Leave a comment:

Working...
X