• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "There is no crisis. Buying your own home is a luxury, not a right"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    I never really understood why people automatically think rising house prices are a good thing. You don't go "Oh my car now costs twice what it did 5 years ago.... fantastic"
    Indeed, but you couldn't realise the equity on your car.

This is the reason why everyone is "desperate to get on the housing ladder" - it means with the flood of cheap money, you can borrow and go on your two annual holidays to Costa del Sol when before you couldn't.

The silly thing is, you could have gone on benefits and saved up £7000 for a holiday in Goa...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/historical.htm

IIRC data is from 1952 onwards, you can choose if you want inflation adjusted or not.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    I never really understood why people automatically think rising house prices are a good thing. You don't go "Oh my car now costs twice what it did 5 years ago.... fantastic"
    I think the idea is that they borrow more against the ever increasing worth of their house and fritter it away - thus making the economy look good.

Shame when the money has to be paid back - but can't people just go omn borrowing more and more forever? seems to have worked well over the last 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Er, yes they do - at 2.5% a year (on average since record began).
    Better than that, on average in the UK. Especially if by "since records began" you mean since building societies started publishing "house price indexes", i.e. 1970s. But my point was that this is abnormal, if you look wider and older. It is therefore not as much a given as some seem to think. I am not disputing the house price increases that have happened, just the contention that it is "always" so.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Not really. In many countries, including Britain until after WWII, you would expect to sell a house for pretty much what you paid for it. The housing market was stable.

Now it is unstable in the UK, and the instability is going completely unadressed because people like it. And describe uncontrolled inflation punctuated by ruinous busts as a "healthy" housing market!

The situation here is abnormal, not to say pathological. Yes one can gain by speculating on a single-commodity inflation, but is that good for the economy?

It is just a transfer of wealth from the young to the old; from those who work and earn, to those who own and do not earn. the young who have to pay more and more to "get on the housing ladder" smoke the same stuff and start to see the same visions.... but it's not really a ladder, it's a Ponzi pyramid.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Is that 2.5% absolute or relative to something?

Do you have a link for that? How much did prices rise in the time? How much did earnings rise?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    ... in the long-run houses always appreciate in value. ...
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Not really....

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    a 'so-called' rough area. I find it quite nice actually. The point I am making is that there is a third option, in addition to renting or mortgaging, you could scrimp and make-do, save then pay cash.

Even with your third option you must have been paying some rent to parents, or were you a squatter or camping in a field ?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    ...in the long-run houses always appreciate in value. ...
    Not really. In many countries, including Britain until after WWII, you would expect to sell a house for pretty much what you paid for it. The housing market was stable.

Now it is unstable in the UK, and the instability is going completely unadressed because people like it. And describe uncontrolled inflation punctuated by ruinous busts as a "healthy" housing market!

The situation here is abnormal, not to say pathological. Yes one can gain by speculating on a single-commodity inflation, but is that good for the economy?

It is just a transfer of wealth from the young to the old; from those who work and earn, to those who own and do not earn. the young who have to pay more and more to "get on the housing ladder" smoke the same stuff and start to see the same visions.... but it's not really a ladder, it's a Ponzi pyramid.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    And that is the fundamental problem with this country today. It cuts across far more than just the current housing issue.

And, just to keep it on topic, I bought my house to live in. I don't care how much I could save per year by renting or whatever. It's a home for me and my family. I could afford it so I bought it, with finance I could also afford.

There is no right to home ownership, just like there is no right to owning an Aston Martin. You have the right to buy what you can afford subject to the effort you put in to make something of your life.

Problem is, that's not the current thinking of our Government.

IMHO of course...

Fair point, well put!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    ...Far too many think that that all they have to do is have kids and visit the benefits office for housing and support, with no desire to work to improve their lot. Then they bring up their kids to have the same parasitic philosophy on life.
    And that is the fundamental problem with this country today. It cuts across far more than just the current housing issue.

And, just to keep it on topic, I bought my house to live in. I don't care how much I could save per year by renting or whatever. It's a home for me and my family. I could afford it so I bought it, with finance I could also afford.

There is no right to home ownership, just like there is no right to owning an Aston Martin. You have the right to buy what you can afford subject to the effort you put in to make something of your life.

Problem is, that's not the current thinking of our Government.

IMHO of course...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Quite the most odious piece I've read in a long time. In the far past people built their own shelter, nowadays this right has been removed and replaced with what: the right to have some smug git tell you it's a luxury.

Stabbin's to good for 'em.
    WCS!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    The point I am making is that there is a third option, in addition to renting or mortgaging, you could scrimp and make-do, save then pay cash.
    Then we are in agreement

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    So you lived in a craphole to scrape together enough to buy in a high crime area in Manchester and that works for you? Genius.

Personally I refuse to live in a craphole but maybe that's just me and the way I was brought up.
    a 'so-called' rough area. I find it quite nice actually. The point I am making is that there is a third option, in addition to renting or mortgaging, you could scrimp and make-do, save then pay cash.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I lived in a tulipe hole for eight years so I could buy this place
    So you lived in a craphole to scrape together enough to buy in a high crime area in Manchester and that works for you? Genius.

Personally I refuse to live in a craphole but maybe that's just me and the way I was brought up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X