• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting to Permie?"

Collapse

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    100 mile each way or return?

Mine is 60 each way, but, 7:30 to 3:30 swung it
    Sounds like absolute hell.

Also if you stayed contract Wilmsy you'd be able to get out of your negative equity a lot more quickly.

I think you're the proof of the theory that people make decisions first and then find a rationale for them afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    That acts upon contractors too, don't worry (IR35, accountants, etc.).
    Your living in a different world mate.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by bsnapool View Post
    Sorry 100 there and back. They would be flexible to... The commute drives u mad after a while.. it only took me 4 months. but suppose doing it three days a week not to bad.
    I am trying to propose a similar situation but I am only willing to do it 2 days a week (it's actually 140 miles and across the alps too :-)). 3 days a week I think it's quite hard to commute for a long distance.

Leave a comment:

• bsnapool
    replied
    Sorry 100 there and back. They would be flexible to... The commute drives u mad after a while.. it only took me 4 months. but suppose doing it three days a week not to bad.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I was willing to accept a similar situation you are in. Work is about 15 mins away. Another perm which hasd been offered to me is 100 mile a day comute but been offered working from home for 2 days...

Wish I was not offered both of them. puts u in a very difficult position!!
    100 mile each way or return?

Mine is 60 each way, but, 7:30 to 3:30 swung it

Leave a comment:

• bsnapool
    replied
    I was willing to accept a similar situation you are in. Work is about 15 mins away. Another perm which hasd been offered to me is 100 mile a day comute but been offered working from home for 2 days...

Wish I was not offered both of them. puts u in a very difficult position!!

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    No its not its no where near.
    What about the tax fairy?
    That acts upon contractors too, don't worry (IR35, accountants, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Most contracts are in the range of 400-500 quid(that makes between 80k to 110k a year depending on bench periods). A salary of 70-80k + bonus + benefit is almost equivalent in terms of available income.
    No its not its no where near.
    What about the tax fairy?

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Think I might have lost the plot but considering going back to permie for locality, decent salary etc etc. has anyone ever took the step and was the worse decision of there life?

Any comments appreciated
    It is move I am making. After 12 years contracting I have a permie offer for a company within 1 mile of home. When I take into account not paying Employer NI on top, the likelihood of travel expense should I take another contract, wear and tear on car, and likelihood of gaps between contracts then the permie offer is very comparable. I am lucky in the fact that the company is exceptionally close and paying way above average/local rates - in fact they upped the salary significantly to entice me in.

There are many parameters to take into account but for each of us they are different - these are just the ones that swayed my decision. Leaving contracting last week was not an option but this offer came in after a company downloaded my CV from a job site - it quickly changed as any financial loss was minimised by the company. I am just looking at it as a very long contract with a 1 month termination clause.

Leave a comment:

• bsnapool
    replied
    Been offered a position where i worked on a 4 month contract, they offered me an extension but took one closer to home. there are lots of contracts out there at the minute but i sense these will dry up soon but only time can answer that question i suppose. They have even said i can work from home two days a week, pay for a masters etc etc...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    they are looking for perms to replace backfill contractors
    heard that one before. Bet they've been looking for the past 5 years.

nah seriously, I hope it works out for you

tl

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Think I might have lost the plot but considering going back to permie for locality, decent salary etc etc. has anyone ever took the step and was the worse decision of there life?

Any comments appreciated
    I am doing just that, because it offers the alledged stability as opposed to hoping every 3 months - also, because they are looking for perms to replace backfill contractors. There is a large project, estimated for 3 years - my boss is very chilled, told me the tulipe to say to personnel and get skilled up, then head back out contracting once the work is done.

Bills to pay and a mortgage, so personally I am taking the permie job knowing I am enjoying the firm, and know what I am getting into. Money also very good for permie in mid 40's.

Think about the firm you are joining - also think about what your contracting options are.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• bsnapool
    replied
    That is a very good question!! a decent permie wage is probably less than half of what im on at the minute. I think my long term goal if i was to accept one of the permie position would to take advantage of training budget, become more skilled and go back contracting couple of yrs. But dont want to take it and then 1 month in relaise i have made the wrong decision!!! Would be gutted. unlike contracting the notice periods are a life time!!! Any suggestion?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Define a decent permie wage?
    Most contracts are in the range of 400-500 quid(that makes between 80k to 110k a year depending on bench periods). A salary of 70-80k + bonus + benefit is almost equivalent in terms of available income.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied

Any comments appreciated
    Hello,

I think it all depends on the environment. I have very bad contracts and good permie jobs and bad permie jobs and good contracts and so on...

Moneywise in the last years it hasn't be that different. Considering a more stable income earning 20-30% more a year but with the risk of earning less than 50% I consider it acceptable. It also depends on how you let yourself dragged in the office politics. The annoying thing as a permie is that you are expected to make up for all possible tasks and to cover the manager inadequacies and take up lots of managers' tasks yourself. It suits people with a wider range of skills who don't want just to dedicate to a few specific tasks. If you can look at it as a long term contract and you know you will be out of there in 2-3 years then you'll be fine. If you get dragged with all your feet then you either change or you'll collapse.

Good luck.
    Francko

Leave a comment:

Working...
X