• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working for the government"

Collapse

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    OK obviously you (ahem) "work for the Government". Otherwise why would you blatantly change the subject?
    I take it you're fairly new here. Do you have a favourite letter?

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by miffy View Post

Wasn't the carp newer model called the ITAL or something?

Thats a perfect car to abandon in a train station all day.
    Yes, he had a bright yellow one of them as well. Awful cars, both of them. But...very rarely broke down.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by miffy View Post
    I'll take my own camp bed...
    Not necessary, they are provided by the tax payer.

Just get a chit from your department head and you can check one out of the stationery department. You will need to bring your own pillow though.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I worked as a civil servant permie many moons ago - I've never spent so many afternoons in the pub and done so little work.

One time I even walked past some old badger's office and he was in there asleep on a camp bed
    That's sounds amazing.

I'm sold on this now. My next gig needs to be working for the government.

I'll take my own camp bed...

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    My dad used to have a Marina. It was purple.
    OK obviously you (ahem) "work for the Government". Otherwise why would you blatantly change the subject?

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

Wasn't the carp newer model called the ITAL or something?

Thats a perfect car to abandon in a train station all day.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    That must be for average Joe permie - I wonder what day it is for the likes of us...
    If it is by tax year - then today

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    I thought this would be a thread about spooks, as "working for the Government" is a euphemism used of themselves by MI5 agents (at least on telly, not sure about real life ..)

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    I thought this would be a thread about spooks, as "working for the Government" is a euphemism used of themselves by MI5 agents (at least on telly, not sure about real life ..)

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If public spending had only grown in line with inflation since then, we could have abolished income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax by now, leaving the taxpayer £200 billion better off.
    I wish I was that taxpayer.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They should also factor in Govt borrowing as deferred taxation.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I've worked on a government project in the past. They paid better than the private sector too.
    I worked as a civil servant permie many moons ago - I've never spent so many afternoons in the pub and done so little work.

One time I even walked past some old badger's office and he was in there asleep on a camp bed

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I've worked on a government project in the past. They paid better than the private sector too.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    That must be for average Joe permie - I wonder what day it is for the likes of us...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Working for the government

Working for the government

http://www.adamsmith.org/tax-freedom-day/

Tax Freedom Day 2008 falls on 2 June.

This means that for 155 days of the year, every penny earned by the average UK resident was taken to support government expenditures.

Government spending is set to reach £600 billion – £10,000 for person in the UK, and twice as much as in 1997.

If public spending had only grown in line with inflation since then, we could have abolished income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax by now, leaving the taxpayer £200 billion better off.

When you factor in government borrowing the picture is even worse – Tax Freedom Day does not come until June 14.

Have fun working for the government.

Working...
X