• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Equal opportunities survey"

Collapse

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    The 'Oirish' option is for you then m'dear.

Unless you're from Eire. I which case, can you vote Oirish anyway, just for
    the hell of it?
    A lot of Irish people have Viking or Norman ancestry. I once worked with a guy called Burke, who was well into Irish culture and proudly claimed descent from the high king Brian Boru himself, and all the usual stuff about English oppression through the ages.

He was gutted when I pointed out he was almost certainly descended from a Norman called William de Burgo, one of the biggest oppressors of the lot

Leave a comment:

• HYpno27
    replied
    British by birth

Spanish/English/Nordic by gene pool

Sarf London by nurture

Decent cove by nature

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied

Unless you're from Eire. I which case, can you vote Oirish anyway, just for the hell of it?
    I am from Eire, you numpty - where do you think I picked up this accent....

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
    You are Ambrosius Diarmuid Maconochie and I claim my 5 of whatever currency you deal in...

Not quite! This survey's just for you, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    The waters are a bit muddy - which is why I was interested to know which group people feel most closely aligned to - it's in the heart, I think. I mean - I was born in England, as were my parents, but my maternal grandmother's side is Irish, my paternal side Scottish, I have a Scottish Surname, an Irish middle name and a Christian name from ancient Rome. I'd identify myself therefore as British, leaning slightly towards Celtic-British.
    My ancestors were very likely Vikings or Scandinavian settlers.
    You are Ambrosius Diarmuid Maconochie and I claim my 5 of whatever currency you deal in...

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    No - I'm from Ireland - what are you going on about RH??

Unless you're from Eire. I which case, can you vote Oirish anyway, just for the hell of it?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    In my case (and I am not saying this for any reason except accuracy) research indicates zero heritage from anywhere other than England. Clearly going back further there must be Anglo Saxon etc
    The waters are a bit muddy - which is why I was interested to know which group people feel most closely aligned to - it's in the heart, I think. I mean - I was born in England, as were my parents, but my maternal grandmother's side is Irish, my paternal side Scottish, I have a Scottish Surname, an Irish middle name and a Christian name from ancient Rome. I'd identify myself therefore as British, leaning slightly towards Celtic-British.
    My ancestors were very likely Vikings or Scandinavian settlers.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe
    I was the product of a mixed marriage....my Mother was from Yorkshire and my Father from Lancashire.

I was born in a little town in Warwickshire so I can now speak Lancs, Yorks and Brummie. I'm now learning Scots so I can speak gibberish in most parts of the UK....
    Learning Welsh is definitely a step too far I think, so I don't think I'll go there.
    Dim Siarad Cymraeg?

Just two words you need to remember: Dim Arian...

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    It's ok - I have a DVD box set of Buffy for occasions like these, hang on a sec.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Evil Willow...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I'm feeling better already...

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    yeah RH, don't be embarrassed, it happens to all men occasionally.
    That's very kind...

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    It happens.
    Yes.

Tell me about it...

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    No - I'm from Ireland - what are you going on about RH??

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    It's ok - I have a DVD box set of Buffy for occasions like these, hang on a sec.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    People often say stuff like "ah well, we're all a mixture aren't we?" or "everyone's got a few Irish and Scottish ancestors".

In my case (and I am not saying this for any reason except accuracy) research indicates zero heritage from anywhere other than England. Clearly going back further there must be Anglo Saxon etc but we've all been English so far back to 16 something or other. It's not big or clever or anything, just what it is.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally Posted by realityhack
    (Be patient, it may take a mo to get it up)
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    It happens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X