• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Possibly a daft question"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I always believed that in most situations there were winners and losers.
    It ain't necessarily so.

Some games are zero-sum, but few bits of Real Life are.

Many situations have a part that is seen, and a part that is not seen. You could say that American subprime borrowers (i.e. Ninjas: No Income, No Job, No Assets) who got to live at least for a while in houses that they couldn't afford, have won something. American lenders who sold worthless "Asset-Backed" Commercial Paper have won. Other banks have won by having a competitor trashed for them. The Government expects to win by giving its baby special deals, then selling it off again at a price much better than what they cynically reduced NR to before confiscating it.

Lots of winners!
    Last edited by expat; 1 April 2008, 10:57.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Hate me, I converted my equity into cash...
    Hmmm... a tad smug perhaps....

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Hate me, I converted my equity into cash...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    merci.
    It's important to know who to hate
    Just my take on things.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Everyone from the cockney barrow boys who sold the mythical financial instruments in the first place and upwards.
    merci.
    It's important to know who to hate

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    ok , so you are giving me more losers

now give me the winners. The last time I got trickle down, it was thirty years ago in the Gwladys street end, down the back of my leg

Everyone from the cockney barrow boys who sold the mythical financial instruments in the first place and upwards.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

now give me the winners. The last time I got trickle down, it was thirty years ago in the Gwladys street end, down the back of my leg

It's just another Ponsi scheme, and the winners are those that put the money in, in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Some of the trickle down went there, but not that much in the great scheme of things.

Most of the money never really existed, and so has ceased to exist in its none existance so to speak.

The vast bulk of this non-existant money has gone to increase the numbers shown as the bottom line of the people who put the money in, in the first place. The disparity between the numbers and the actual value will be corrected later when they transfer real money into these accounts from your savings, pensions etc. via a bout of inflation.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you think about it, where has all the money lent gone?

It has gone to home owners who sold a bedsit above a kebab shop in Peckham and made enough money to retire to a 5 bed villa on the mediterranean seafront.
    Some of the trickle down went there, but not that much in the great scheme of things.

Most of the money never really existed, and so has ceased to exist in its none existance so to speak.

The vast bulk of this non-existant money has gone to increase the numbers shown as the bottom line of the people who put the money in, in the first place. The disparity between the numbers and the actual value will be corrected later when they transfer real money into these accounts from your savings, pensions etc. via a bout of inflation.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I always believed that in most situations there were winners and losers

so if the NR shareholders have lost out, if the NR borrowers might lose out, if the taxpayer might lose out, my question is, who stands to gain from all this ?(apart from that applegarth character, who would have been paid anyway)

If you think about it, where has all the money lent gone?

It has gone to home owners who sold a bedsit above a kebab shop in Peckham and made enough money to retire to a 5 bed villa on the mediterranean seafront.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    The people at the top with the money in the first place. It's called the trickle down effect, they trickle a little money down, and later they get a big wedge back in return.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    started a topic Possibly a daft question

Possibly a daft question

I always believed that in most situations there were winners and losers

so if the NR shareholders have lost out, if the NR borrowers might lose out, if the taxpayer might lose out, my question is, who stands to gain from all this ?(apart from that applegarth character, who would have been paid anyway)

Working...
X