• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lottery winner goes back to flipping burgers"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Gosh, you lot! He's gone to do something he enjoys. Sheet, if you had that much money, wouldn't you go out and find something you'd enjoy to do?

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I wonder how much interest it would earn just in the bank and if that's more than a year's salary at McD..
    1.3 million @ 4% net is 52k per annum.

I'm sure with that sum of money you could get a much better deal though.

Certainly more than an McJob

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Strange they didn't tell him that he better go back to work but it may be worth investing in skill/training so he could do a job he liked.
    That's what I don't understand either.

I wonder how much interest it would earn just in the bank and if that's more than a year's salary at McD..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I thought the Lotto mob provided financial guidance for what to do with the winnings?

Maybe they saw it was only a million and said he'd better get back to work.
    Strange they didn't tell him that he better go back to work but it may be worth investing in skill/training so he could do a job he liked.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I thought the Lotto mob provided financial guidance for what to do with the winnings?

Maybe they saw it was only a million and said he'd better get back to work.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by HRH View Post
    If I won the lotto I would do some form of work. Sure I'd have a year or so off to do what I want but after that you need some kind of routine in your life. A lot of people say they'd 'set up on their own' but thats a cop out and an excuse to get nothing done. If you are working for someone-even a charity you have a responsibility to get out of bed and not let people down. However flipping burgers in ChavDonalds would not be my personal choice.
    If I came into a mill I'd make damn sure I never worked for anyone else ever ever again. I'd get up when I felt like it and spend my time exactly as I choose.

Of course I'd do stuff and still 'work', but on entirely my own terms. I can think of plenty of better things to do that don't involve getting up before 9 am and travelling to some grey office every day

That's what I'm working toward doing anyway but I don't buy lottery tickets.

I think the mill is wasted on him if he's not even looking for a way to apply himself and learn to leverage it as best he can.

The whole 'I'll still work/it won't change a thing' arguement - although admirable - is a bit of a waste if he's decided to go back to the bottom of the food chain when he could be doing something much more useful.

Still it's his money and his life

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    and a bit of hard work never did anyone any harm.

Workaholism has in fact killed many people .

What a jerk ...
    Yes, but workaholism is not a bit of hard work is it?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    and a bit of hard work never did anyone any harm.

Workaholism has in fact killed many people .

What a jerk ...

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    the great unwashed
    They'll already be in Maccy D's...

HTH

RW

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Pittard says he's only young and a bit of hard work never did anyone any harm.
    I don't see why everybody is having a go at this guy, how many other people his age do you hear saying the above?

A bloody inspiration IMHO. Wheel him round all the local schools as an example for the great unwashed is what I say.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Yeah it's depressing how little you can do with a million these days.

I think it's the type of work he's settled for that's a bit uninspiring. Plenty of plan B's out there if you have a million to play with.
    That about sums it up for me too.
    He is only 25. I am sure he has invested in a house so no mortgage to worry about, but with world economics he can not rely on that sum supporting him and his family forever.

If he loves McDs so much why doesnt he invest his winnings in a franchise?
    As you said. There are better things to do when you have a spare mill.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Though not as depressing as this if the ticket holder finds it in a clearout after the deadline:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7313994.stm

Clock is ticking for £7m winner

The ticket was bought in Devon on 28 September 2007
    The Devon winner of a lottery prize of almost £7m has only a matter of hours to claim the cash.
    A total of £6,989,367 was won by someone in the EuroMillions Lottery drawn on 28 September 2007.

However, the unknown multi-millionaire has until 1730 GMT on Wednesday to claim the cash, or it will be donated to the lottery's Good Causes fund.

The winning EuroMillions numbers were 22, 30, 34, 35, 44; and the Lucky Star numbers were 4 and 5.

The winner matched the five numbers and one lucky star number.

A National Lottery spokesperson said: "We're urging everyone to make a final bid to check their old tickets again or look anywhere a missing ticket could be hiding."

The unclaimed prize is currently earning interest at a rate of £1,063 a day and the full 180-days' worth of interest will be in the region of £191,298.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Let's face it - £1.3 million isn't really that much money when you've got your whole life ahead of you. He's only 25, so could have a long time left, and wants to work.

What's so wrong with wanting to work these days?

Yeah it's depressing how little you can do with a million these days.

I think it's the type of work he's settled for that's a bit uninspiring. Plenty of plan B's out there if you have a million to play with.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
    DON'T!! get me started on these types of idiots

basically he could live more than comfortably on this nice wee win however he's decided to keep someone else out of a job. I'd take the money back off him.

These types of people can't cope with that sum of money what a waste.
    Let's face it - £1.3 million isn't really that much money when you've got your whole life ahead of you. He's only 25, so could have a long time left, and wants to work.

What's so wrong with wanting to work these days?

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Probably an immigrant. Then you'd be moaning about how they take jobs off UK workers...

CUK forum - license to moan!!

As long as there not taking citrix contracts I don't care who replaces him

Leave a comment:

Working...
X