• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Trade accounts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trade accounts"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by jonny7_2002 View Post
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question!!

As a limited company does anyone know if there are any implications on setting up a trade account with Topps Tiles and buying my wooden floor from them though the company?

1. Do I get any Tax relief?
    2. Will the tax man shoot me for any reason?
    3. Apart from the 25% discount on the trade account would it work out any cheaper than buying it as a 'normal person'?

Thanks for any replies.

Jonny Moron
    When I tried to set up an account with them they wanted confirmation that I had accounts with 2 other suppliers.

I just blagged the discount instead.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    WHS - I have a Makro card in the company name, but very rarely buy anything there for the company. I just pay out of my own pocket.
    yep, I have a Costco membership which my Co. pays for.

Leave a comment:

• jonny7_2002
    replied
    Trade account

My cousin has a trade account with them so i know they do them, i would imagine you have to go in to do it!

Wooden floors was just one of many things i plan to buy through trade accounts as i am looking to do up the house!

WOOD you beleive i have never done this before?

Jonny M

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    heh heh. Yes because ......

wait for it.....

they might go through my accounts lino by lino

geddit lino, line

igmc

Indeed. You are probably better off going to the pub and getting lacquered.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Is that because you might get 'floored' by the tax man?
    heh heh. Yes because ......

wait for it.....

they might go through my accounts lino by lino

geddit lino, line

igmc

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by jonny7_2002 View Post
    setting up a trade account with Topps Tiles
    Incidentally, Jonny M, do you have a linky for that? I had a quick squiz on their website but nothing obvious so I'm assuming you had to phone them up?

Leave a comment:

• crack_ho
    replied
    When the tax man commeth you will need to put your Tongue 'n Groove.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    What a plank!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you wooden want to touch this with a bargepole

geddit ? wooden,wouldn't

igmc

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    open the trade account in your co.'s name but pay in cash from your own pocket. That way you get the 25% discount but there is nothing going through your business account.
    WHS - I have a Makro card in the company name, but very rarely buy anything there for the company. I just pay out of my own pocket.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    you wooden want to touch this with a bargepole

geddit ? wooden,wouldn't

igmc

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    Are you f'n serious people?
    Deadly

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    To all those replies to Johny Moron

Are you f'n serious people?

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    open the trade account in your co.'s name but pay in cash from your own pocket. That way you get the 25% discount but there is nothing going through your business account.
    Ditto.

I'm currently upgrading central heating and kitting out 2 new bathrooms at home, so I setup a trade account in the ltdco name with a heating, plumbing etc. wholesaler.

Not used it yet but the idea being that I can source all the bits I need (eg new boiler) from there at lower cost than I could on the high street, and fortunately my builder is quite happy to go along with this too rather than creaming off a margin for himself.

Edit: If the suppliers do insist on payment via ltdco cheque / card etc. and its a smallish sum I guess one option you have is to put that transaction against your directors loan account and just pay the money back into ltdco from your personal account.
    Last edited by moorfield; 20 March 2008, 11:36.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    You company is an separate legal entity to you. What is your company going to do with a wooden floor?
    Put the filing cabinet on it!

Honestly. Wooden floor through the limited, whatever next.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X