• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fiona MacKeown should be questioned..."

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by where did my id go? View Post
    Actually, on the evidence, you should never leave them with relatives.

HTH

Quite wise, bearing in mind that Shannon, the girl that was recently abducted, was found with the uncle of her stepdad. What amazes me with that case is that he was already under suspicion for child abuse but the police never searched his place until 24 days after she was abducted, even though a member of the public, one of his neighbours, had phoned the crimeline to report his suspicions about the guy only a few days after the abduction.

That's total incompetence in my book!!

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    so you have no children then. interesting if you feel the same when you have kids.

no way would I leave mine with anyone. or on their own while I go out.
    Actually, on the evidence, you should never leave them with relatives.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    If bad luck comes in 3's - I wouldn't want to be one of the rest of her sprogs

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    I cannot see anyone who is blameless in this case - apart from maybe the victim who used bad judgement in her actions.

The "mother" has fewer maternal insticts than a sewer rat and I would immediately take the rest of her children away from her even though they're not the "scum of the earth" that a lot of single-parent children are.

The authorities tried to hush everything up and act as if nothing had happened until the mother kicked up a stink and now they want to eject her from their country and prevent her from ever returning. (Mind you, if I were the mother I wouldn't want to return to a country where the lives of individuals mean so little).

I read that she also left a son back in England while she went to India, and the son was killed only about a week or so before her daughter died. They were making funeral arrangements for him when the daughter was murdered. Bad luck or what ????

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I've never voted Labour.

Edit: Or did you mean people like her do? In that case, I do condemn her for that!
    People like her don't vote. They are too busy ripping off the state and the kiddies fathers/grandparents, and saying they are hippies.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Before Tony English butts in, let me repeat that a scenario where the randomly selected person has a non-negligible likelihood of not helping is automatically excluded by definition of the word "random." In that case the person who accepted would be part of a self-selecting group, which means they are not a random adult any more.
    And now I'll butt in again to mention that this self selecting group would obviously include the nutters who want access to your kids for all the wrong reasons.

look at it this way. if there were 1% of the population who wanted to abuse kids then in a sample of 10,000 people 100 would want to cause harm while 9900 would be classed a normal people. Of these normal people, 9000 refuse to look after a strangers kid - as the majority would. So this self selecting pool would contain the 900 normal strangers and the 100 nutter strangers. You now have a 1 in 10 chance of landing your kid with a nutter. The simple act of asking a stranger to look after your kid increases the chances of landing it with a nutter simply because the vast majority of normal people would refuse while the nutter ranks would always agree.

Obviously it's not 1%, but it makes the sums easier.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Blimey, do you have any concept of risk, or indeed any contact with nannies or teachers?
    My point wasn't that nannies and female teachers were dangerous, but that (if anything) a randomly selected female adult ought to be less dangerous. (In practice I think the differences in risk would be negligible.) Because I believe nannies and female teachers are not dangerous, I conclude that it is pretty safe to leave a child with a randomly selected adult female.

(I only restricted myself to female teachers and adults to make a fair comparison with nannies, who I assume are female.)

Before Tony English butts in, let me repeat that a scenario where the randomly selected person has a non-negligible likelihood of not helping is automatically excluded by definition of the word "random." In that case the person who accepted would be part of a self-selecting group, which means they are not a random adult any more.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 March 2008, 15:58.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They work for you.

(If you make them do work that is.)
    Modern Politicians are no longer "civil servants", they are self-serving!

Anyone with ambitions to be a politician should immediately be precluded from being one.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    And who allows the politicians?
    They work for you.

(If you make them do work that is.)

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I've never voted Labour.

Edit: Or did you mean people like her do? In that case, I do condemn her for that!

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    you are still making the assumption that every stranger would say yes to the prospect of looking after your kid - I'd agree that the risk would be low if this were the case but it simply is not.
    I agree with you in every example you have given, and you agree with me in the sort of scenario I'm imagining. So we're in complete agreement in all scenarios.

(Yes, I know that you don't think we are, but I'm giving up now.)

(Perhaps it would be fairer to say that you simply can't imagine the kind of scenario I'm talking about. To be fair, I was arguing in the abstract, so haven't particularly done so either.)

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Regarding her life on benefits - I don't blame her, if the system allows her to do it, I blame the politicians that create and maintain the system.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Fancy Me goading IR35 into a sucker trap like that eh!

Still, it livened things up for a while
    Well, let keep things lively then. Going all the way back to what the thread was originally about, I haven't read much about the case, but based on what I've seen, I think the outcome for Scarletts mother is far more bad luck than bad judgement.

I think some people are assuming options she may not have had. How easy is it to absolutely prevent a 15-year-old from taking drugs or drinking to much?

Perhaps the real failing was not brain-washing her against this sort of behaviour before she reached that age? How easy would that have been? Not a rhetorical question - I genuinely don't know.

I was quite an emotional basket-case at that age, If I hadn't been imprisoned in a boarding school I don't know what would have happened to me. (Probably not drink or drugs, but I might have gone off the rails in other ways.) On the other hand, if I wanted to be expelled, all I had to do was to be caught smoking, not even taking alcohol or illegal substances, so maybe I wasn't in as bad a way as I remember.

In one of the newspaper articles linked to at the start, the headmaster of the childrens school appears to have the same opinion as me. (I don't usually go for arguments for authority, but in this thead I need all the help I can get!)

Regarding her life on benefits - I don't blame her, if the system allows her to do it, I blame the politicians that create and maintain the system.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    For goodness sake, I've told you twice to exclude scenarios precisely like the one you are banging on about. Try think of a scenario where no civilised person would refuse to help.

Perhaps your car has crashed, you can't move, and a complete stranger with room for one passenger offers to take your child to the hospital? Does your fear of strangers outweigh your concern that your child may need urgent medical attention? (A bit contrived but the best I can do at a moments notice. And no you can't assume there are other options such as the accident is in Britain therefore it's reasonable to wait for an ambulance.)

This is one (admittedly far-fetched) example where an irrational fear of strangers would compromise rather than enhance your childs well-being.

I guess not allowing your child to visit friends after school would be a more subtle example.

Your argument simply doesn't work because you are still making the assumption that every stranger would say yes to the prospect of looking after your kid - I'd agree that the risk would be low if this were the case but it simply is not. If you are only going to focus in on the group that would say yes, then you have to exclude the bulk of the population. That leaves a greater concentration of nutters in your pool of strangers and a greater degree of risk to your kid.

A better example would be this. Your kid is walking home from school and it starts to rain. A car pulls up and is driven by somebody your kid does not know. Would you tell your kid to accept the lift to avoid getting wet.

Your friends example does not hold water as by definition they are not visiting strangers, they are visiting friends so a certain amount of their background is known.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    If anybody has any 16+ year old daughters by the way, I'm available for babysitting duties.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X