• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it cos I is white?"

Collapse

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Not new.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiculti

mul·ti·cul·ti
    Pronunciation: \ˈməl-tē-ˈkəl-tē\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1991

My bad, in my defence I would say that I am usually the last to know about any new trend etc going.......

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    I saw a great phrase coined by a comment to last weekends' Jeremy Clarkson column in the Times.

This person coined the phrase "multi-culti" so be one of the first to use in your street!.
    Not new.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiculti

mul·ti·cul·ti
    Pronunciation: \ˈməl-tē-ˈkəl-tē\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1991

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That happens everywhere.

Ever gone into a large shop in London and noticed all the staff are one ethnicity, and it's not do with the products they are selling.
    Hmmm. That got me thinking - there is absolutely no cultural diversity among the staff at my local Indian restaurant.

The Government should be doing something about this

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    When I was on the bench for 15 months prior to this contract I attended one of those "training courses" the DSS send people on.

They said that if you are disabled (and each application form has those "cultural diversity" questionnaireswhich includes the question - "do you consider yourself disabled") you are virually guaranteed to get an interview at least!
    That's interesting Kathy.

So is it sufficient to 'consider' oneself disabled nowadays?

I think I could probably qualify on those grounds.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a second-hand wheelchair off eBay, blacking-up, wearing drag and proclaiming myself a lesbian.

That will surely put me on the shortlist for almost any public sector job.

Who knows? I could end up being the Mayor of London. Failing that, I'd still get on Newsnight Review a couple of times a month.

This plan can't fail
    When I was on the bench for 15 months prior to this contract I attended one of those "training courses" the DSS send people on.

They said that if you are disabled (and each application form has those "cultural diversity" questionnaireswhich includes the question - "do you consider yourself disabled") you are virually guaranteed to get an interview at least!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I'm thinking of getting a second-hand wheelchair off eBay, blacking-up, wearing drag and proclaiming myself a lesbian.

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Nineteen Eighty-Four used to be a novel; it became an augury; then it was a manual; now it is a tick list. There doesn't seem to be much outstanding.
    Sage stuff...

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    I'm gonna wear a giant afro for my next interview.

Just to be certain that I'll get the gig.

Will feedback on the outcome...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I'm all for this.

If I ever find myself in an interview looking at 2 equally qualified people. One a white male and the other a woman of child bearing age I'll be wondering how the **** she slipped through the net at application stage.
    Your a contractor not a permie.

Therefore if a woman of child bearing age slips through it doesn't matter cos the client ain't paying maternity benefits.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I'm all for this.

If I ever find myself in an interview looking at 2 equally qualified people. One a white male and the other a woman of child bearing age I'll be wondering how the **** she slipped through the net at application stage.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I saw a great phrase coined by a comment to last weekends' Jeremy Clarkson column in the Times.

This person coined the phrase "multi-culti" so be one of the first to use in your street!.
    This has been used by the Germans for years - spelt "multi-kulti".
    Plagiarism!

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Oh! The crushing bloody irony of that statement.
    It's not irony, it's just truespeak.

Nineteen Eighty-Four used to be a novel; it became an augury; then it was a manual; now it is a tick list. There doesn't seem to be much outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm told this already happens in London, e.g. look at the staff of many councils. I'm told some are virtually closed shops.

Who knows? I could end up being the Mayor of London. Failing that, I'd still get on Newsnight Review a couple of times a month.

This plan can't fail

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm told this already happens in London, e.g. look at the staff of many councils. I'm told some are virtually closed shops.
    That happens everywhere.

Ever gone into a large shop in London and noticed all the staff are one ethnicity, and it's not do with the products they are selling.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Employers would be able to give jobs to women or ethnic minority candidates in preference to other applicants

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X