• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Phorm Petition

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phorm Petition"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I like Phorn - that will take lots of tapes to back the Internet up.

Milan.
    far too many capital letters and too much punctuation in there atw

milan

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I like Phorn - that will take lots of tapes to back the Internet up.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Petition has nearly 7000 signatures now, too.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    A report they comissioned says that they need to go further in protecting privacy:

Originally posted by BBC
    the interim privacy impact assessment report, written by Simon Davies and Gus Hosein, of 80/20 Thinking Ltd, said the company should go further.

It said: "Information from websites and queries regarding sexual content, political preferences, medical health, racial origin should be blocked from processing.

"Similarly, as profiles are developed Phorm should communicate openly whether profiles and channels will match information of this type, e.g. matching pharmaceuticals with web activity that searches for anti-depressants."

The report also called on the tool to disregard data collected from website addresses so that ISPs could not, in theory, learn about their customers' commercial preferences, such as which bank or insurance company they use.
    Linky.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Oh, here we are:

"Several security firms have confirmed (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rm_av_vendors/) plans to classify Phorm's cookies - both for opting in and opting out of Webwise - as adware."

"Phorm's plan to use cookies to exclude people who opt-out is illegal (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/04/phorm_ripa/)"

"Today the BBC reports (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7299875.stm) that Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the web, has spoken out against ISP ad targeting. He summed up public opposition to the system: "It's [web traffic] mine - you can't have it. If you want to use it for something, then you have to negotiate with me. I have to agree, I have to understand what I'm getting in return."

"Meanwhile, the Downing Street petition (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/) against Phorm has now garnered almost 5,000 signatures."

"You can follow all our reporting of Phorm over the last three weeks here."

Please excuse the cut&pasting from El Reg, just thought it would add some authority to the spat we had last week. It's not just about opinions, AtW.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Just about my favourite Famous Last Words.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I think it's different this time.
    Just about my favourite Famous Last Words.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Like it forced BT to can their Indian call centres and run a reasonable help line?
    I think it's different this time.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Done.

Have you been to BadPhorm? Hopefully they will update it with some new details soon.

It was also in the Guardian the other week - they have got their PR guys out early it seems. BBC website was quoting some privacy expert saying how good Phorm was for privacy

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Phorm is a brilliant conception. You take steps to stop spyware and adware on your computer, they just get your ISP to install it on theirs instead.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Pointless effort - Brown will say that it is the matter for private companies and that's the end of it.

Those guys will be brought down by bad publicity that will force ISPs to back out of this crap.
    Oh really? Like it forced BT to can their Indian call centres and run a reasonable help line? Ask any survivor of repeated 3-hour phone calls to Bangalore tellin them to reset their router and call the manufacturer for more help (with a BT line problem).

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    Sounds like Google to me.
    Google doesn't track every non-google page you browse, unless you're signed into the account, or you have the toolbar. You can always use a different search engine - for free.

Virgin media are thinking of implementing this to my IS Provision without my permission. I'm none too chuffed about this. I could always switch, sure. I may well do so.

Also - google doesn't install one of it's cookies when you browse to a.n.other site at random, the moment you open your browser.

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    No - I'm not on about them obtaining the data, it's what they do with it that counts. Selling on all my internet activity, tracking it all, storing it and building up a profile of me based on it, to be used to sell me stuff - is that not a little problematic?
    Sounds like Google to me.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    You alright then, resident Russian nutter?
    No - sudden deaths of my cute squirrels greatly upset me

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Weren't you going out for a fag?
    Been and come back

You alright then, resident Russian nutter?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X