• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rumour mill churning overtime in the City ..."

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes that is a possibility. The govt can't bail out every bank if they fall like dominoes. Very unlikely though.
    If a bank goes down, quite a few smaller ones will probably go too - Credit Default Swaps are often issued on banks as they are seen as "safe".

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There is one, here: http://tinyurl.com/yskzg4 (it's safe for work)
    Excellent AtW.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Don't know how it would work in practice but even slimy slippery Gordon and Co would struggle to not pay up. I have read NickGesque scenarios where if a big bank or two went down then the government would be in tulip creek and that the scheme is woefully underfunded !?
    Yes that is a possibility. The govt can't bail out every bank if they fall like dominoes. Very unlikely though.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Not sure that's the right icon ? Chuckle of the day !
    There is one, here: http://tinyurl.com/yskzg4 (it's safe for work)

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    And should a bank go up... does anyone have any ideas on how long it takes to get your money back? Or if you get interest while you wait?

Expect a good 5-10 years without interest I would imagine.

Ouch
    Don't know how it would work in practice but even slimy slippery Gordon and Co would struggle to not pay up. I have read NickGesque scenarios where if a big bank or two went down then the government would be in tulip creek and that the scheme is woefully underfunded !?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    Up to £35k should be safe. I am no financial expert though so if this is bulltulip then please explain...
    http://www.icesave.co.uk/financial-protection.html

Not sure I would trust 6 figures anywhere at the mo. Split it up:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...-savings#every
    ferret, I don't know what policy is, but it may be wise to delete any references to any financial institution in this thread, including quotes. I mean adverse comments BTW

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    I'd scale back to the government guarantee level, 30K, maybe a bit more post NR. Theoretically it is then safe as houses
    And should a bank go up... does anyone have any ideas on how long it takes to get your money back? Or if you get interest while you wait?

Expect a good 5-10 years without interest I would imagine.

Ouch

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Up to £35k should be safe. I am no financial expert though so if this is bulltulip then please explain...
    http://www.icesave.co.uk/financial-protection.html

Not sure I would trust 6 figures anywhere at the mo. Split it up:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...-savings#every

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I'd scale back to the government guarantee level, 30K, maybe a bit more post NR. Theoretically it is then safe as houses
    Good advice. Try to spread your capital around folks ...it ain't just Icelandic banks in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    And contract me to build them * arent in big trouble are they ? Ive got 6 figure sum with them, I knew there were some worries a few months back but nothing to bad.
    Last edited by ferret; 13 March 2008, 16:34. Reason: Name removed

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    And contract me to build them ICESAVE arent in big trouble are they ? Ive got 6 figure sum with them, I knew there were some worries a few months back but nothing to bad.
    Everything in iceland looks bad. Google them and kaupthingedge and make your own mind up

TM

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    As long as the city firms invest wisely in their risk systems it will be fine...

And contract me to build them * arent in big trouble are they ? Ive got 6 figure sum with them, I knew there were some worries a few months back but nothing to bad.
    Last edited by ferret; 13 March 2008, 16:34. Reason: Name removed

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    You're on good form today SB.

Lucky nobody can see the coffee I've slobbered down my dark dress laughing at your posts
    Why thank you marina, I do try.
    And then 10 minutes later when I get my breath back, I try again.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post

Lucky nobody can see the coffee I've slobbered down my dark dress laughing at your posts
    Don't worry, you get used to laughing at his posts after a while.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Don't worry about it, sg is probably just having his afternoon nap. It comes with age and will one day afflict us all. In the meantime just let the old codger have his snooze and be glad you cannot see him slobbering down his tweed jacket like a poacher's dog.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X