• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The great depression"

Collapse

• Nicky G
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Is it safely under the floor boards !? Your mates at New Liebour will be after it otherwise when everyone else is cleaned out. The problem with holding cash is we might have hyperinflation, it looks like that is the way the yanks are tackling it.

I don't think we want total financial wipeout, it might be a bit scary if the masses are out on their ar*e. I don't see how the welfare state would survive a 30s style depression.
    It won't, which is why New Lie are clamping down on incapacity benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Dish out prozac probably.
    Or bullets.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Who makes it ? Perhaps a depression proof share !?

Shares sliding again as we speak, tulip retail figures from the US, we are certainly going to see what a recession is like for the first time in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I don't see how the welfare state would survive a 30s style depression.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I want this to be a total financial wipeout. I have cash and gold and will clean up. Bring it on!!!
    Is it safely under the floor boards !? Your mates at New Liebour will be after it otherwise when everyone else is cleaned out. The problem with holding cash is we might have hyperinflation, it looks like that is the way the yanks are tackling it.

I don't think we want total financial wipeout, it might be a bit scary if the masses are out on their ar*e. I don't see how the welfare state would survive a 30s style depression.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I want this to be a total financial wipeout. I have cash and gold and will clean up. Bring it on!!!

At least you'll be able to use the cash as loo roll. In a total financial wipeout, money is worth somewhat less than blank paper.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I think a depression is in your head and a recession is on your head.
    What about repression?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    There's something quite satisfying about getting slagged off for being 'witty' by Atw and DP.

Must be doing something right.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by techno View Post
    Are we not just going to talk ourselves into a recession and make this a self fulfilling prophecy...?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    When interest rates hit zero and economy still does not respond. I reckon 2010.

As I have said repeatedly, it is the disparity between rich and poor that ultimately causes this.

Leave a comment:

• techno
    replied
    Are we not just going to talk ourselves into a recession and make this a self fulfilling prophecy...?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOmegaMan View Post
    Did anyone hear a squeak ?
    Yup, there goes another squirrel.

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    Did anyone hear a squeak ?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I always enjoy Snaw's witty and incisive comments.
    Me too. Pity there ain't many of those...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Depression looming? or will the Fed pull it off

Another bit of doom

The number of articles appearing with the words "the great depression" are increasing.

So what's going to happen?

Ask Nicky G.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X