• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Here we go again . . ."

Collapse

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Have you see an military ID card. Its not exactly easy to forge, its not a passport with a new photo laminated over the top of the old one.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. The uk has what. 300,000 ID card holders. In 2 years 3% of them lost them.

This is not the govt losing them this is squaddies getting pissed and leaving them in bars etc.
    Exactly right, but if it's that commonplace amongst people for whom security is an integral part of their lives, imagine the chaos when several million pi$$ed up irresponsible chavs are issued with them?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Whoever thought the following quote up ought to be taken out and shot -

Or haven't they been watching TV/movies for the last 40-odd years?
    Have you see an military ID card. Its not exactly easy to forge, its not a passport with a new photo laminated over the top of the old one.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. The uk has what. 300,000 ID card holders. In 2 years 3% of them lost them.

This is not the govt losing them this is squaddies getting pissed and leaving them in bars etc.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Barry George got stitched up for having a similar fetish. I suspect you will need a bit more storage space than he did for his stash of Jill Dando articles though.
    This is probably true, but I realised that there is a publication that does this for me - called Private Eye

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    A good scanner will measure the heat. Therefore, make sure said finger or eye is recently removed...

I'll be ok then, women often say I've got cold hands!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    make cuttings of government incompetence and store away for when....

Barry George got stitched up for having a similar fetish. I suspect you will need a bit more storage space than he did for his stash of Jill Dando articles though.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    They'll just cut off a finger and poke out an eye instead.
    A good scanner will measure the heat. Therefore, make sure said finger or eye is recently removed...

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Agreed, but it doesn't auger well for the much vaunted national ID card scheme.
    I think that once they start hitting the news again, all these instances of incompetence will be dragged up again

(Note to self......make cuttings of government incompetence and store away for when....)

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    In as much as people will lose them yes. They (el Gov) need to have a decent process to cover this - which they won't. If you think about the number of missing passports/NI numbers etc etc your right, it doesn't bode well.

But, the article is rubbish and makes no point...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    This proves there's a place for biometric scanner based security, simple ID cards are old technology.

I noticed in the budget a comment about using biometrics at airports and the like, so I'm sure the government's got it all in hand and before we know it proper ID cards will be required everywhere.

At least with biometrics the bad guys can't beat us up for a pin number. They'll just cut off a finger and poke out an eye instead.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Doesn't say how they went missing. I think the comment from Nobby sums it up nicely...

Mind you - I quite like the quote from Bert too:

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I came back into the country once on a military ID. Unfortunately, it belonged to a colleague who was female with a perm. Incidentally I'm a blurk without a perm)...

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Whoever thought the following quote up ought to be taken out and shot -

"They have photographic ID on them, so it would be difficult for them to be used by individuals they have not been assigned to."
    Or haven't they been watching TV/movies for the last 40-odd years?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Doesn't say how they went missing. I think the comment from Nobby sums it up nicely...

Mind you - I quite like the quote from Bert too:

"This is another example of the Government's scandalous disregard for the security of our citizens ..." How does that buffoon Gerald Howarth come to the conclusion that soldiers, sailors and airmen who lose or have their id cards stolen have anything to do with the government? Lads and lasses dropping their id card whilst in the the pub, on holiday, on operations etc...and its the governments fault? What a complete headline grabbing idiot. Apart from losing the plot, has he lost anything else...and blamed the government for it? If he's supposed to be a top tory, i'll be sticking with the idiots in power at the moment
    Last edited by ratewhore; 12 March 2008, 16:13.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    started a topic Here we go again . . .

Here we go again . . .

You couldn't keep making these up!

Working...
X