• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Budget today today

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Budget today today"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    3.19 From 1 April 2008 the Government will increase the VAT registration threshold in line with inflation from £64,000 to £67,000, maintaining the highest threshold in Europe and keeping around 6,000 small businesses out of the VAT system.

Including my plan b. Just.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    More info re tax simplification:

Building on the Budget 2007 reforms, the 2007 Pre-Budget Report launched a
    significant programme of tax simplification and announced three simplification reviews.
    Following discussions with business and tax professionals, Budget 2008 announces the initial
    outcomes of each review:
    VAT rules and administration: the Government will consult on simplifying the operation of the partial exemption regime and the capital goods scheme, and explore the need for business to seek permission from HMRC before taxing otherwise VAT-exempt supplies of land and property;
    anti-avoidance legislation: the Government will, as a first step, repeal certain outdated and complex anti-avoidance provisions on bond washing, employment securities and other transactions in securities; and
    CT rules for related companies: the Government will, as a first step in simplifying associated companies rules, modify the current rules relating to the small companies rate where a director or shareholder is separately in a partnership.

3.17 Further work will continue to address other priorities outlined by business. Budget 2008 announces a new simplification review, which will look at how to simplify CT calculations and returns for smaller companies.Updates on all four reviews will be announced at the 2008 Pre-Budget Report.

3.18 Budget 2008 announces over 20 further tax simplification measures.

Alongside Budget 2008, HMRC is publishing details on how it is improving services for small businesses and an update on progress against its administrative burdens reduction targets.

3.19 From 1 April 2008 the Government will increase the VAT registration threshold in line with inflation from £64,000 to £67,000, maintaining the highest threshold in Europe and keeping around 6,000 small businesses out of the VAT system.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Something about 30% of govt contracts available to small businesses ?

Translation: Come and work for us so we know who you are, and we'll make your taxes "simpler" for you.
    Yeah, right - Via the likes of EDS or Accenture, or some private sector intermediary, which the Government will instruct to ensure contractors are caught bang to rights by IR35.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    "We are going to tackle tax avoidance"....what the feck does that mean?...

...some of you are managing your affairs in a tax efficient way and we are missing out so we are going to move the goalposts and tax you anyway through some ill worded legislation that we can interperet any way that suits us?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    So his plan for 2008-2010 is to make them so tulip that they simply have to open to improve.

bear in mind the date of the next election...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by techno View Post
    Has he mentioned anything about income sh@fting yet...?
    Delayed until the Finance Bill 2009 and will not be enacted in April 2008.

Leave a comment:

• techno
    replied
    The chancellor is the Prime Minister's creature
    I only saw the first twenty minutes of the budget on TV and it looked as though he had been given the budget speech the night before. I can't believe how often he was tripping up over his words.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not quite - it doesn't come in until April 2009...

By which time it should buy a couple of litres of diesel.

litre.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    "I know he's minister for children but he doesn't have to behave like one"
    A bit rich considering the "yahhhh..." that the opposition bench followed that up with.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Top rebuttal by Cameron! He certainly thinks on his feet.

I thought he absolutely floored McBroon, although the BBC highlights will show otherwise.

Compare that to Clegg now - he looks like a right muppet...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    "The chancellor is the Prime Minister's creature...and I'd like to congratulate the Prime Minister, that during this act of ventriloquism, his lips hardly moved" - Nick Clegg.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post

Groan

sorry - feeling a bit silly today

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Something about 30% of govt contracts available to small businesses ?

Translation: Come and work for us so we know who you are, and we'll make your taxes "simpler" for you.

LOL, that is the funniest thing I've read on here

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Go Cameron!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X