• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "drink drive London trains etc"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    There are these great inventions called train timetables. They're quite recent I think... you can look up (in advance!) what times the trains depart and arrive. I think you can even see them on that internet thing.

HTH
    Good point Mr Robin.

Also, I hear that there are other great innovations called 'hotels' which are a bit like being at home without actually having to go there.

We truly live in an age of marvels!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I hate black cab drivers.....where ever you live in London unless it's less than 7 miles away they won't take you home at night. And they fought to stop other cab companies who would take you home being licensed ....

So you have to get the black cabs to take you to a 24 hour taxi shop 6.9 miles away? Sounds like a plan B to provide info where these taxi shops are.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    No NO NO.

Licensed mini cabs are your best option. Never get in a moody cab.

There was a plan to open the tube later (and start later the next day) on Friday and Saturday nights - did this happens?
    Nope.

Due to the way the tube was privatised and the large amount of maintenance needed it was found not to be a viable option at the moment. Even though they managed to get the unions on side. Instead they have made more buses run for 24 hours which is good unless you live on the outskirts of London or go out the other side of London from where you live.

I hate black cab drivers.....where ever you live in London unless it's less than 7 miles away they won't take you home at night. And they fought to stop other cab companies who would take you home being licensed ....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    We're stuck with the faqqers.
    Nothing to do with me, squire!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    No NO NO.

?
    I know, but when you've had a skin full and the last train is leaving in 15 mins, you tend to go against better judgement. Obviously not being a bird, my personal safety rarely comes into it on a night out.

There was a plan to open the tube later (and start later the next day) on Friday and Saturday nights - did this happens?
    Hope so. Not been in central london for over a year so I can't say.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    So lets bring back Maggie then
    I don't reckon she'd have stood much chance against them either, not like you could stockpile transport in the preparation for a long strike, and the pain to the public, not to mention cost too business would be too much.

We're stuck with the faqqers.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Blame the transport unions (The tibe/train drivers). They've got us by the balls in a vicelike grip.

Or the dumb taxi laws that say only licensed black cabs can pick up on the street (IN this day and age, with Satnav - who needs the bloody knowledge), and charge you a fiver just to sit down then rack up at an incredible pace thereafter!

There are plenty of night buses whizzing around of midnight hour. But they can get a bit rowdy (As in any British city late at night, a bus full of drunk blokes ain't that much fun).

So lets bring back Maggie then

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If you will live abroad (outside M25) then what do you expect. Next time stay in your own country.

you cant have it both ways- sheep and an easy ride home from civilisation

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    When I've been out in London for a drink (e.g. Leicester Square/Soho area) I am always getting caught out by the tube stations closing before midnight.

Usually the only option of getting back to King's Cross for the last train is an illegal cab as they seem to outnumber the black cabs considerably when the pubs/clubs are chucking out. Must be a bit nerve wracking for women as there must be some very dodgy people hoping to get lucky.

I think the reason the tube doesn't run overnight is that it isn't reliable enough and needs that down time to allow them to make repairs and give the system a rest.
    No NO NO.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Or find the nearest hotel and spend the night
    A sensible plan in itself, which I would have done had personal considerations not worked against it.

But for goodness' sake! Out in one of the world's great cities on a Saturday night, ready for home before midnight but it's too late, find a hotel ???

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I think the reason the tube doesn't run overnight is that it isn't reliable enough and needs that down time to allow them to make repairs and give the system a rest.
    Nah, it's because of the drivers not wanting to work nights. Why would they want to when they're on a about £40k per year for a 35 hour working week ...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    There are these great inventions called train timetables. They're quite recent I think... you can look up (in advance!) what times the trains depart and arrive. I think you can even see them on that internet thing.

HTH
    And that gets me home how exactly? Oh, by missing the end of the concert. Right.

I didn't say I missed the train because of not knowing the timetables. I said I decided to stay till the end of the concert because I might never see him again. Result: not possible to catch last train no matter how many of these timetable thingies I might have looked up in advance.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    New Liebours great transport policy vision in 1997 has worked then.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    When I've been out in London for a drink (e.g. Leicester Square/Soho area) I am always getting caught out by the tube stations closing before midnight.

Usually the only option of getting back to King's Cross for the last train is an illegal cab as they seem to outnumber the black cabs considerably when the pubs/clubs are chucking out. Must be a bit nerve wracking for women as there must be some very dodgy people hoping to get lucky.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Hmmm...if London is the capital of the known world (as another poster intimiated in an adjacent forum), how come all public transport seems to grind to halt after 12.00 am ?

Is it because Londoner's are too scared to go out after then ?

Seriously...it does seem a bit stupid, doesn't it.

Many a weekend's been ruined because of the "rush back to the train station" game.
    Blame the transport unions (The tibe/train drivers). They've got us by the balls in a vicelike grip.

Or the dumb taxi laws that say only licensed black cabs can pick up on the street (IN this day and age, with Satnav - who needs the bloody knowledge), and charge you a fiver just to sit down then rack up at an incredible pace thereafter!

There are plenty of night buses whizzing around of midnight hour. But they can get a bit rowdy (As in any British city late at night, a bus full of drunk blokes ain't that much fun).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X