• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: To be Polish

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "To be Polish"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong but is this based on any real sephology or is it just your opinion (albeit a popular and populist one)?
    Most civil servants and people who work for government organisations are in unions. The party the majority of unions support is Labour. Union magazines (ok the three I've seen) are always full of stuff on how wonderful Labour is. Most people vote according to what they are brainwashed with.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    I don't suppose the programme actually bothered to quote any statistics on unemployment in the area?

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/NR/...tter_Mar05.pdf

The claimant count unemployment rate for March 2005 in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough was 1.6%.

Peterborough itself has an unemployment rate of 2.6%.

Even allowing for those unemployed and claiming sickness benefits the unemployment rate is tiny.

The vast majority of British citizens in and around Peterborough are in fact in work. On the basis of actual statistics the characterisation of the English as lazy and workshy would seem to me to be wholly inaccurate.

I would, of course, shoot the unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If you conducted a poll not just on welfare recipients themselves (you are probably right in that they are unlikely to vote at all) but more importantly on the tens of thousands who work for the state in the welfare business you will find that these public sector workers are the bedrock of support for NL.

Spin some grey into that.
    I'm not saying you are wrong but is this based on any real sephology or is it just your opinion (albeit a popular and populist one)?

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I met a Polish guy on the bus last week
    none of this addresses the real point raised here.

What is a blue-chip business intelligence contractor doing on a bus?

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    ...the tens of thousands who work for the state in the welfare business you will find that these public sector workers are the bedrock of support for NL.
    I hate to say it of a pimp but he right you know...

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The chav refusing to pick squash may have a valid point. I am sure he was just a lazy chav and should have his benefits removed, but....
    Seasonal work is no good to the unemployed.
    They know that when the season is over they will be unemployed again and will then have to wait the statutory period before their full benefits are reinstated. They will have effectively lost money by working.
    The wait for income support is only 2 weeks, so I guess after a season picking squash you would be able to save enough to last that two weeks. Housing benefit is admittedly a littel long at around 4 weeks, but if you pay monthly then this isn't an issue.

BTDT.

NN

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    If that were true, are you saying they are floating voters? There was a massive increase in the welfare state under Thatcher and Major, were these voters voting conservative then and Labout now? Of course not, the underclass doesn't vote. Some of you guys can only operate in black and white, the real world is a little more complicated than that.
    The reason that there was an increase in the welfare state under Thatcher assuming your assertion is true is because a lot of people lost their jobs. This was the price we paid for sustaining loss making monopolies. If you conducted a poll not just on welfare recipients themselves (you are probably right in that they are unlikely to vote at all) but more importantly on the tens of thousands who work for the state in the welfare business you will find that these public sector workers are the bedrock of support for NL.

Spin some grey into that.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

He came home, spent a week dossing, and upon our insistence, went back to try and face the music like a man. After a week of hanging around, the Guards decided that as a trainee, he was allowed some leeway, and let him back in. 10 mins later, this new sergeant starts bullying him..so he goes AWOL again and has left.

So...back to £6.50 an hour in Tescos for this young man, who had a brilliant opportunity and threw it away (some of his own doing, admittedly)
    Perhaps if he stood up to his responsibilities he wouldn't have to work in Tescos.

When you join the forces your life belongs to them. Period. No room for emotion.

However, it does seem like the Sergeant was a bit of a knob.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    How very true.

A family member who was in training for the Welsh Guards told me that they had extra-curricular maths and english lessons for some of the lads, to help them with their communication skills. They also had 3 chaps from Somali who only knew the following words, spoken with an inane grin, "Yes, sergeant !".

Grenade practice was a barrel of laughs apparently.

Serg : Throw the grenade now !
    Pte : Yes Sergeant !

<stands there holding the grenade with the pin out before the Sergeant grabs it and chucks it over the wall>

Oh what fun eh ?

And btw, the family member left. He went Awol. They were promised leave on valentines day. Then it was cancelled. Unfortunately, the family member's father died 3 years previously and was buried on V day, and the family member had arranged to go visit mum and spend time with her and also his civvy girfriend.

When it was cancelled by a different Sergeant, he went ballistic and walked off camp.

He came home, spent a week dossing, and upon our insistence, went back to try and face the music like a man. After a week of hanging around, the Guards decided that as a trainee, he was allowed some leeway, and let him back in. 10 mins later, this new sergeant starts bullying him..so he goes AWOL again and has left.

Shame, the Army would have been a good career for him. He is 21, dyslexic, and a typical "kevin". However, he loves the Army, is very fit, and wanted to make his late dad proud. What he didn't expect was the unnecessary bullying. Oh and his whiny girlfriend who didn't like him being in the Army in the 1st place. Stupid moo. The rest of the family hate her guts now. She is a whiny, me me me, oh look a nice handbag, "meejah" student. That says enough I hope.

So...back to £6.50 an hour in Tescos for this young man, who had a brilliant opportunity and threw it away (some of his own doing, admittedly)

Perhaps milan can get him a position changing tapes somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Now we're doomed http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7282923.stm

If they leave who will pick our butternut squash?

No one, we'll import from Poland! Food prices will go up, green house gases up, and the chavs are happy...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    The Army is tolerant to a fair share of thick-as-a-brick types, but even they are having trouble finding youngsters who can read/write/think to an acceptable level.
    How very true.

A family member who was in training for the Welsh Guards told me that they had extra-curricular maths and english lessons for some of the lads, to help them with their communication skills. They also had 3 chaps from Somali who only knew the following words, spoken with an inane grin, "Yes, sergeant !".

Grenade practice was a barrel of laughs apparently.

Serg : Throw the grenade now !
    Pte : Yes Sergeant !

<stands there holding the grenade with the pin out before the Sergeant grabs it and chucks it over the wall>

Oh what fun eh ?

And btw, the family member left. He went Awol. They were promised leave on valentines day. Then it was cancelled. Unfortunately, the family member's father died 3 years previously and was buried on V day, and the family member had arranged to go visit mum and spend time with her and also his civvy girfriend.

When it was cancelled by a different Sergeant, he went ballistic and walked off camp.

Shame, the Army would have been a good career for him. He is 21, dyslexic, and a typical "kevin". However, he loves the Army, is very fit, and wanted to make his late dad proud. What he didn't expect was the unnecessary bullying. Oh and his whiny girlfriend who didn't like him being in the Army in the 1st place. Stupid moo. The rest of the family hate her guts now. She is a whiny, me me me, oh look a nice handbag, "meejah" student. That says enough I hope.

Last edited by Board Game Geek; 13 March 2008, 01:27.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Poles are as good as our chavs at claiming benefit. A friend of mine just cashed a benefits cheque for a Pole for 6 grands worth of child benefits even though his kids live in Poland.

The chav refusing to pick squash may have a valid point. I am sure he was just a lazy chav and should have his benefits removed, but....
    They know that when the season is over they will be unemployed again and will then have to wait the statutory period before their full benefits are reinstated. They will have effectively lost money by working.

Getting on your bike may be a good answer, but can the big cities stand the influx of people looking for work?
    Many of the unemployed could not earn enough to rent never mind own a place in London.
    Is brick making also a seasonal activity?

The work is out there if they look... there's always some work to be done and to be paid for.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    The Poles are as good as our chavs at claiming benefit. A friend of mine just cashed a benefits cheque for a Pole for 6 grands worth of child benefits even though his kids live in Poland.

Getting on your bike may be a good answer, but can the big cities stand the influx of people looking for work?
    Many of the unemployed could not earn enough to rent never mind own a place in London.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    The Benefit State created by Labour is a deliberate action so that Labour has a large and willing population base who will vote for them every time.

Labour do not care about the country. They care only about staying in power and creating a feeding frenzy for themselves. By creating a base of dependents they have effectively given themselves a serious headstart in each election.

If that were true, are you saying they are floating voters? There was a massive increase in the welfare state under Thatcher and Major, were these voters voting conservative then and Labout now? Of course not, the underclass doesn't vote. Some of you guys can only operate in black and white, the real world is a little more complicated than that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X