• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best emigration destination for early retirement...."

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Didn't some high ranking copper just top himself in Wales? Question is, was he suicidal before he drove over the border or after?
    Wouldn't you want to die somewhere decent?

He just couldn't bear the thought of dying in England.

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
    I would urge you to consider that Britain is probably the best place to be, as long as you are a non-dom.

Crime is low, Britain is a tax haven for non-doms and the climate (thanks to the 4x4) is improving every year. Inflation is low and so the cost of living is very competitive.

Our policies have fostered a Britain that is safe, cheap and accessible to all.

Get over here Gordon!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    If I was British I'd retire to Wales
    Didn't some high ranking copper just top himself in Wales? Question is, was he suicidal before he drove over the border or after?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I think some people emigarte for the wrong reasons, they are just running away from issues that will follow them. If you are a depressing tosser in the UK, you will be a depressing tosser in Aus.
    Give Sadguru a chance, he can change.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I can live with whinging about whingers.

Unless there some other way I don't know about of expressing an opinion on this without sounding like a whinger?
    No, I think most people would agree. Many of those desperate to emigrate are simply people with unhappy lives and they end up miserable somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    That is very true.

Bloody whingers. Lets all have a whinge about them.

I can live with whinging about whingers.

Unless there some other way I don't know about of expressing an opinion on this without sounding like a whinger?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I think some people emigarte for the wrong reasons, they are just running away from issues that will follow them. If you are a depressing tosser in the UK, you will be a depressing tosser in Aus.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    That's one of the reasons I tried hard to avoid just hanging out with expats when I lived in Aus, so many of them spend their whole time whinging about life there and missing home.

Obviously they're not all like that, but enough are to justify the reputation as whinging poms. Funny now I'm back, I see the brits who whinge about the UK in a whole different light (They'd complain no matter where they lived IMO).
    That is very true.

Bloody whingers. Lets all have a whinge about them.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I had a look on that site... it is no surprise Brit expats have a reputation as whnging gits. Those tossers are a bunch of depressed idiots.
    That's one of the reasons I tried hard to avoid just hanging out with expats when I lived in Aus, so many of them spend their whole time whinging about life there and missing home.

Obviously they're not all like that, but enough are to justify the reputation as whinging poms. Funny now I'm back, I see the brits who whinge about the UK in a whole different light (They'd complain no matter where they lived IMO).

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    I
    If I was British I'd retire to Wales

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Also see britishexpats.com or to read about the negative aspects of every other place on earth apart from the UK....
    I had a look on that site... it is no surprise Brit expats have a reputation as whnging gits. Those tossers are a bunch of depressed idiots.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    I refer to my previous comments on Brits emigrating to Oz...

"It's a bit quiet here"

Followed by...

"I miss my family/friends/English beer/football/M&S etc"

So if you don't mind the quiet life, have no family or friends or are attached to English culture then by all means emigrate to Oz! You'll be welcomed with open arms!

Also see britishexpats.com or to read about the negative aspects of every other place on earth apart from the UK....

If I was British I'd retire to Spain, France or Wales - somewhere cheaper and quiet but still a few hours away. Twenty hour flights and jetlag are no fun.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Western Canada springs to mind straight away. Similar but better IMO.
    That's good because it's one of the few places outside the EU that I could emigrate to (over 55 so NZ is out; Aus said Too Old 10 years ago). We haven't mentioned that but it is not necesarily easy to go and live somewhere legally. Of course you could do <183 days/year in 2 places, but e.g. NZ scupper that with visit rules of max 90 days in 180.

Australia has a retirement visa but I think I'd find it depressing to be re-assessed regularly, knowing that I am destined to be ejected once I get old and unhealthy. Logically I know it will come some day anyway and I might as well be where I want for a while first, but psychologically I think I'd see the end as soon as I started, and I can't live that way.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Definitely Britain. Only for one reason, when I'll retire the pound will be worth 0.01 euros and francs. Soooooo cheap!
    Probably

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What does the congregation think is best emigration destination taking into account:

-climate
    -property costs
    -cost of living
    -crime
    -general ease of life

I have not counted jobs availability, this is for quitting work entirely and living off investments etc.
    Definitely Britain. Only for one reason, when I'll retire the pound will be worth 0.01 euros and francs. Soooooo cheap!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X