• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oath of allegiance to the queen."

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Oh! are we free to choose where we pay our taxes too?
    Why ever not?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    We can remove the prime minister! This is sounding like a good idea.
    Yes, and replace it with a new EU President. Someone of the calibre of........Tony Blair.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    LG the state no longer matters, it's globalisation innit. Within Europe and pretty much the rest of the world, one is now free to choose where to spend ones tax money, and none of them ask for much more allegiance than that, so why should the UK have something more? It's anachronistic.
    Oh! are we free to choose where we pay our taxes too?

Leave a comment:

• HYpno27
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    LG the state no longer matters, it's globalisation innit. Within Europe and pretty much the rest of the world, one is now free to choose where to spend ones tax money, and none of them ask for much more allegiance than that, so why should the UK have something more? It's anachronistic.
    Indeed

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Yes, our armed forces and police should swear an oath to the committee in Brussels, and take orders only from Brussels.
    Pay our taxes and NIC to Brussels
    Remove the royal family and the prime minister, Burn the ballot boxes and place our lives and the security of Britain in their hands.

I totally agree!
    We can remove the prime minister! This is sounding like a good idea.

Oh you mean the position of prime minister rather than Gordo? hmmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Give it a rest.

This is all bollocks.

We are Europeans now and have been since the Maastricht Treaty.
    Yes, our armed forces and police should swear an oath to the committee in Brussels, and take orders only from Brussels.
    Pay our taxes and NIC to Brussels
    Remove the royal family and the prime minister, Burn the ballot boxes and place our lives and the security of Britain in their hands.

I totally agree!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Give it a rest.

This is all bollocks.

Germans

What they could not achieve in 2 world wars etcetc.

What is intersting is trying for monetary union before political union. Ireland/Spain may test this very soon.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Give it a rest.

This is all bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Sorry, I have been busy. It is hard enough keeping this conversation going with one person never mind four or five. I did ask that you try and extrapolate what I am saying to cover some of your questions then I can just agree or give my point of view instead of constantly having to defend minor points when it is such a big subject.
    I don't have time to explain all the rights and protections the state offers.
    You by accident of birth are British (I assume). That means that you are entitled to live in Britain and be protected by British law. You are entitled to a British passport and should some mishap befall you whilst abroad the British state is there to aid you. The right to education and a health service. The right to live in peace.
    You may argue that your taxes pay for much of it, but it is there regardless of your ability to pay.

I am saying that these rights seem to have become meaningless to people who seem to believe that they owe no allegiance to the state that provides them, so meaningless that most of them do not even realise they are there.

I do not necessarily agree with this oath and am not sure to whom it should be made if we insist on having one, but I do feel that some sectors of our society need reminding of what it is that gives them that society.

All I am hearing from you lot is that you all have rights because you are British. Yet you all seem opposed to the idea of any responsibilty to GB.

What happens if everybody decides the state does not matter?
    You may notice certain sectors of our society are already going that way.

Sorry, but that is all I have to say.
    I Do agree with the oath, and I believe that it should mean something in Law. All school leavers should be required to take this as a legally binding oath. any person that refuses the oath should be thereafter refused the support and succor of the state.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    You don't seriously think that teenagers that talk like that, would use that much punctuation, do you?

Y'naaarmean?
    Point taken! well spotted

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    LG

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by HYpno27 View Post
    Again - what rights and protections that come with citizenry? I wish to debate the specific. A number of us have raised valid counter points, and LG ol dude you keep saying the same thing without addressing ExPat, Rantor, me in any detail
    Sorry, I have been busy. It is hard enough keeping this conversation going with one person never mind four or five. I did ask that you try and extrapolate what I am saying to cover some of your questions then I can just agree or give my point of view instead of constantly having to defend minor points when it is such a big subject.
    I don't have time to explain all the rights and protections the state offers.
    You by accident of birth are British (I assume). That means that you are entitled to live in Britain and be protected by British law. You are entitled to a British passport and should some mishap befall you whilst abroad the British state is there to aid you. The right to education and a health service. The right to live in peace.
    You may argue that your taxes pay for much of it, but it is there regardless of your ability to pay.

I am saying that these rights seem to have become meaningless to people who seem to believe that they owe no allegiance to the state that provides them, so meaningless that most of them do not even realise they are there.

I do not necessarily agree with this oath and am not sure to whom it should be made if we insist on having one, but I do feel that some sectors of our society need reminding of what it is that gives them that society.

All I am hearing from you lot is that you all have rights because you are British. Yet you all seem opposed to the idea of any responsibilty to GB.

What happens if everybody decides the state does not matter?
    You may notice certain sectors of our society are already going that way.

Sorry, but that is all I have to say.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Did this ignorant dingbat even go to school ?

Like yeh! right, respec right, I axe you right like yeh right
    You don't seriously think that teenagers that talk like that, would use that much punctuation, do you?

Y'naaarmean?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    From another site:

SCHOOL leavers will be forced to swear allegiance to some stinking old cow even though they have never even met her or nothing.

The government has totally got this plan, right, to make teenagers go into this big room and say all these nice things about this totally minging old bird.

Then the teenagers, right, will have to say how great it is being British and all that, and totally promise not to behave like arseholes all the time.

But the teachers, right - get this - the teachers are totally saying it's all bollocks. They're saying 'no way, man, that's like total tulip'.
    They're saying that the teenagers shouldn't have to do nothing, if it's like totally against their feelings and tulip. And that's the teachers, right?
    It's all supposed to make the teenagers feel like they are all like totally grown up and serious like.
    It's like, 'look at me, I've got a job and I'm all dressed nice and I'm like totally the same as everyone else'.
    And get this, right, they also want to change the national anthem and that, and take out all that stuff about the Scottish. The Scottish right? Are they even English?

The whole thing is like totally controversial.
    Did this ignorant dingbat even go to school ?

Like yeh! right, respec right, I axe you right like yeh right

Leave a comment:

Working...
X