• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The future - back to living in straw huts"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Galloway is not the highlands

Probably a good job. Those straw houses wouldn't last long up there. The weather up there makes yesterdays 'storm' look like a gnats fart.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    no wonder it on'y cost 4k, it's tiny, what is, a studio house built in the highlands !!

Milan.
    you people.

Galloway is not the highlands, the nearest town is 160 miles away before you cross into the region and the furthest 360 miles.

In the highlands that would cost you at least £2
    Last edited by scooterscot; 10 March 2008, 20:51.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    no wonder it on'y cost 4k, it's tiny, what is, a studio house built in the highlands !!

Milan.
    I do believe that you are sadly out of touch with house prices in the Highlands. Most of the buyers are recent sellers of properties in SE England, so that does tend to determine the size of the demand and its bank; the number of houses for sale there relative to the population of SE Englanders who fancy retiring to the Highlands determines the supply. The resulting supply/demand intersection is not where you might expect it to be if you thought it was cheap just because there's no work there.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    NSFW http://eatliver.com/i.php?n=2690

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    No you don't - that was the plan of the farmer who couldn't get planning to build a house so he built it anyway and put a huge haystack around it so no-one could see it.

He now has to tear the house down - after living in it for a number of years.

I'd post a link if I could be arsed
    I think you got the order wrong (not entirely sure). But I seem to recall the farmer started by building the huge haystack, and then managed to build the castle by tunneling around inside the haystack without ever leaving any of the building visible from outside.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I could be arsed

Here

Interesting:
    a house that stands for four years without objection had a legal right to remain.
    With the general incompetence of government and councils 4 years should be easy as long as you keep the locals sweet so they don't report you. They probably only use google maps nowadays to identify new structures, so just make sure it's on the edge of a sensitive location such as a US air base!

I wonder what the outcome was then, seeing as it was due in feb?

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    No you don't - that was the plan of the farmer who couldn't get planning to build a house so he built it anyway and put a huge haystack around it so no-one could see it.

I could be arsed

Here

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I saw something like that on Grand Designs a couple of years ago.

Do you need planning permission to put a haystack in your field?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Sewage goes out the window then ?
    Ah! the good old days

Plague anyone?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    The house I live in currently has a straw roof and many of the walls are made from mud. It was built in 1600, so I'd suggest there's no'w't wrong with the materials.
    Agree.

Easy to work, durable and energy-efficient. Kept our ancestors sheltered for many thousands of years. A bit flammable roof-wise, but otherwise top notch.

Modern building materials offer only aesthetic advantages (to some), rather than practical ones.

If I could build my dream house, it would either be a mud/straw shell, wood, or a cast concrete shell. Can't decide which. You can keep your bricks!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Or in Milan's case "in" the window, where he then muddies it up and pastes it on this site!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Contractor in yellow rain fiasco

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    If you intend it to be a permanent structure, then yes, you do.
    How long does it need to be there to be classed as permanent? Nothing is really permanent anyway.

Maybe if it was built on wheels it would be exempt? That guy who builds vehicles out of sofas and other novelty items has missed a trick here.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I saw something like that on Grand Designs a couple of years ago.

Do you need planning permission to put a haystack in your field?
    If you intend it to be a permanent structure, then yes, you do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X