• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apple users: smug, stupid, or lightyears beyond any PC owner?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    IIRC Parallels is a mac only thing, and I'm using ESX Console Manager to play with the other platforms in the setup, so I'm kinda limited to VMWare.
    You can run parallels on other platforms, but IIRC it's still in Beta. If you've already got VMWare, I wouldn't bother.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    IIRC Parallels is a mac only thing, and I'm using ESX Console Manager to play with the other platforms in the setup, so I'm kinda limited to VMWare.
    Get a Mac... honestly.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Ah when the tough get going the losers get insulting, i like it
    Actually, I use Macs - exclusively now that VMWare Fusion runs Windows so well.

I just get fed up with the jerks who keep blabbing on about how great Macs are.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I don't think it's the same however I've no problem backing up my one virutal machine, I'm using Parallels and the Iomega software I got with this to back up no problem...

it's connected via a f800 cable though, backs up a 8gig image in 2 minutes!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Anyway, my previous post got me to thinking: if anyone thinks up a cute way to automatically backup virtual machines on a mac there'll be a beer or two in it for you.
    I don't think it's the same however I've no problem backing up my one virutal machine, I'm using Parallels and the Iomega software I got with this to back up no problem...

it's connected via a f800 cable though, backs up a 8gig image in 2 minutes!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

What I'm doing currently is that the virtual machines have fixed ip addresses, and a script that pings them, if they don't get a reply, then the script assumes the vm is not running and so can backup that ones files, and does a grandfather, father, son, arrangement with the files sets. Yeah, feels dirty.
    Dirty, and exactly how I'd do it too.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Erm, you're not allowed to run OS X in a virtualised environment. It's explicitly forbidden in the EULA.

Wouldn't time machine pick it up?
    Time machine expliclitly will not pick up vmware files, and if you force it, then the virtual machines will crash. And even if it did work, the way time machine operates means the backup disk will be full in a few days.

What I'm doing currently is that the virtual machines have fixed ip addresses, and a script that pings them, if they don't get a reply, then the script assumes the vm is not running and so can backup that ones files, and does a grandfather, father, son, arrangement with the files sets. Yeah, feels dirty.

Oh, BTW, I do ask and get specific permission to do some really odd stuff for my clients. "You may also install and use other copies of Mac OS X Server Software on the same Apple-label computer, provided that you acquire an individual and valid license from Apple for each of these other copies of Mac OS X Server Software".

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Anyway, my previous post got me to thinking: if anyone thinks up a cute way to automatically backup virtual machines on a mac there'll be a beer or two in it for you.
    Erm, you're not allowed to run OS X in a virtualised environment. It's explicitly forbidden in the EULA.

Wouldn't time machine pick it up?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Jeez,,,geek alert or what? Why would you just talk to your PC for 52 minutes???

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    ATW is this you?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HELrxL...eature=related

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Ah when the tough get going the losers get insulting, i like it

The truth is....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

or how to install vista?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

this is top notch..
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe...eature=related
    Last edited by scooterscot; 9 March 2008, 19:57.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    This is better

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    phew...
    Mostly they are shuffled around over a variety of linux boxes, some macs, and other assorted odd hardware. I like how you can, usually, just shift "entire machines" around to configure up a new virtual cluster. Wish VMWare on the Macs wasn't such a pain with back-ups though.

One client uses a cluster essentially based around Xen and Condor, which is really nice when everything works, but that isn't often, as that really is handcrafted stuff, various incarnations of SGI boxes, (the R-0000 series processors), Sun boxes (some even with 68000), if you've heard of it, they've probably got one, or access one of my antiques, or rent time on some other companies kit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X