• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Suspicious Garage

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Suspicious Garage"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'm thinking of having my car servicing shipped to India. Stick the car on a boat to Calcutta, and gang of MCSD qualified tyre fitters do all the work forra fiver.

Sorteed.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I just got 5 new tyres from BlackCircles and was very impressed - cheaper than my very cheap local supplier, much wider choice, buy them online and have them fitted locally. Highly recommended.
    Snap!

They are excellent. If I need some fitting at work, I use eTyres, they're pretty good as well. Very similar to blackcircles on price.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Tyres

I just got 5 new tyres from BlackCircles and was very impressed - cheaper than my very cheap local supplier, much wider choice, buy them online and have them fitted locally. Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• WotNxt
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "Kwik" being a misnomer in this case of course... I've never ever been anywhere slower...
    Some of you guys are obviously not behaving correctly when visiting Kwik Fit.

1. You need to stand and watch them - they are "kwik" so not a big deal
    2. Only ever have the work done that you went in for

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You can't get robbed quicker than by a qwik fit fitter.
    To be honest, my one and only experience at Kwik Fit was excellent. Had a flat, went in, bloke looked at it, took the tyre off, examined it, diagnosed a faulty valve and fitted a replacement, reinflated the tyre and put it back on. Replaced two missing valve caps. Was there for about 20 mins.

"How much do I owe you for that", says I?

"Ah, don't worry about it, mate", he says, "valves and caps don't cost much. Enjoy the rest of your day".

Can't ask for more than that.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I know somebody who had his car in at Kwik Fit and when his wife went in to pick it up they told her that the brakes were worn and needed the pads and discs replacing. It was having it's exhaust done at the time. She told her husband who went down to see them. He asked what they had done and how could tell that the brakes needed so much work given that the wheels were still on the car. The Kwik Fit guy said that they had taken the wheels off to have a good look at the brakes. He asked if they had any problems removing the wheels without having the key for his locking wheel nuts.

The last time I went there I had my exhaust replaced. On the M40 it lost its bolts between it and the manifold and dropped onto the road. I'll never use Kwik Fit
    Kwik fit are the worst, my parters car needed a silencer,a quick ring around for prices... Kwik fit £95 sir, the lowest Formula 1 autocentres were £26. How can Kwik Fit justify that price? They are also notorious for finding faults that don't exist

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How very true. I remember about 7 years ago I took a Golf GTI in that I had at the time (permie lease car). Needed four new tyres, I think they were 205's on 16" rims from memory. 650 notes I think they were carp pirelli ones.

2 years ago, I had 4 tyres on the 330 beemer on 18" rims. Less than 450 for Michelin pilot sport 2's.

It's no wonder the lease companies don't wanna pay for anything when you take your company shed in. They are robbing everyone blind.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    "Kwik" being a misnomer in this case of course... I've never ever been anywhere slower...
    You're right there. Probably too busy finding things wrong with your car.

I'd never take any of my cars there even if I was desperate.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    He asked if they had any problems removing the wheels without having the key for his locking wheel nuts.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I know somebody who had his car in at Kwik Fit and when his wife went in to pick it up they told her that the brakes were worn and needed the pads and discs replacing. It was having it's exhaust done at the time. She told her husband who went down to see them. He asked what they had done and how could tell that the brakes needed so much work given that the wheels were still on the car. The Kwik Fit guy said that they had taken the wheels off to have a good look at the brakes. He asked if they had any problems removing the wheels without having the key for his locking wheel nuts.

The last time I went there I had my exhaust replaced. On the M40 it lost its bolts between it and the manifold and dropped onto the road. I'll never use Kwik Fit

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
    I've been scammed with that one too at Kwikfit, we won't change the pads because the disks are scored, yea if you look at them with a frigging electron microscope they are!!!!
    Last time we used KwikFit was when away from home and the Missus took her old car in to get a tyre with a slow puncture replaced. They said the exhaust had a rust hole and should be replaced too.

She pointed out Jags have stainless steel exhausts - they don't rust.

KwikFit are liars.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    This is a depreciating asset , which means that I lease it and as the wife mostly drives it then it wont do enough miles to get an engine replaced.

RENISIS engines are extreemly reliable , the older rotary engines were high maintenance but the RX8 is a superb car , just very expensive to run. A recent trip from London to Birmingham gave me 19 MPG so cost a small fortune

Although this is a 1.3 engine it produces 231BHP so you cant compare with a standard piston engine.
    A merc SL 55 AMG does about 19 MPG but manages 500bhp and (de-restricted) tops 200 MPH.

Seems a very expensive way to go very slowly.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    This is a depreciating asset , which means that I lease it and as the wife mostly drives it then it wont do enough miles to get an engine replaced.

RENISIS engines are extreemly reliable , the older rotary engines were high maintenance but the RX8 is a superb car , just very expensive to run. A recent trip from London to Birmingham gave me 19 MPG so cost a small fortune

Although this is a 1.3 engine it produces 231BHP so you cant compare with a standard piston engine.

Jeez, I get more than 19 MPG from my 10 year old 4x4...not much more though..

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Mazda dealer in tyre scam

They brought it back last night and I called the missus , she said it was too dark so would check in the morning.

Called her about 20 mins ago and she says that there are some very worn spots on the back tyres , that were not there before they took the car away.

Think they are the same tyres but the guy that picked it up has been giving it a road test , Clarkson style , so could now be illegal.

Leave a comment:

• WotNxt
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Personally, I found the exact opposite.

I got "rip off" free service from a main dealer (albeit at a slightly higher cost), until one day I decided to go to one of the "national chains".

They promptly decided that my only-just-replaced front disks were worn and needed replacing. I told them that if that was the case I would be taking them back to the dealer that fitted them under the warrently and would they kindly let me have the necessary info to support this claim. Unsurprisingly, they decided that they were OK after all.

Went back to the main dealer again.

tim
    LOL, and now they have learned not to try it on with a first time customer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X