• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So how does HSBC do it?"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    HSBC are doing very poorly to only do £6bln more than RBS. They are a considerably larger operation.
    Maybe HSBC are doing crap?

HSBC profit £12.1
    RBS £10.3billion
    Barclays £7billion
    HBOS £5.4billion
    Lloyds £4billion

Also, profits posted in 2007 also show a similar gap between all the main players so I cant see HSBC being able to outperform their competitors by such a large margin.

Perhaps HSBC has something to fear now RBS is a much bigger beast to compete against?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by HRH View Post
    care to elaborate?
    53Deg 29'20.43" N
    01Deg 29'20.55" W

Have fun with the fireworks.

Leave a comment:

• HRH
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I don't know how they do it, but I do know where!

From a big bunker, just outside Sheffield!

care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I don't know how they do it, but I do know where!

From a big bunker, just outside Sheffield!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    HSBC's profit IS $20billion already...unless of course you mean £20billion???

Now, hold on though...do you really believe HSBC's profits this year without the write downs would be £20billion?

Which would be £6billion more than their nearest rivals (RBS)?

Somehow I dont think so.

So, what is it then? A bit of creative accounting going on or what?

Mailman
    HSBC are doing very poorly to only do £6bln more than RBS. They are a considerably larger operation.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    $/£ confusion stems from your original post

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    without the bad debt write off the profit would have been $20 billion
    HSBC's profit IS $20billion already...unless of course you mean £20billion???

Now, hold on though...do you really believe HSBC's profits this year without the write downs would be £20billion?

Which would be £6billion more than their nearest rivals (RBS)?

Somehow I dont think so.

So, what is it then? A bit of creative accounting going on or what?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• HRH
    replied
    Banks and their staff should wear masks,after all Dick Turpin had the decency to do that! If our society was not awash with thieving feral youths Id get paid in cash and stash it under my floor boards.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Cheap Indians. I had to leave before I committed a pre-meditated act.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    HSBC: All your money are belong to us.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    without the bad debt write off the profit would have been $20 billion

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    started a topic So how does HSBC do it?

So how does HSBC do it?

They write down £8billion (or was it $$$?) of bad debt YET they still post a profit of £12billion...how does that one work?

Creative accountants?

Mailman

Working...
X