• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Mobile Contractor's lodging lifestyle/options."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    Can you show me the law that prevents me to have 1 month termination notice to the tenant ? Of course you can't. I have stayed with accomodationlondon.com . They have 2 weeks termination notice. yes 2.
    I suggest you read the CAB pages and Shelter pages on the internet. They are not hard to find. Then you can google the relevant legislation they mention, after all you are not a newbie so we shouldn't be doing your basic research for you.

Basically you can put anything you like in a tenancy contract or not give one out at all, but if you come across:
    1. A professionally bad tenant,
    2. A tenant who looks like they don't know their legal rights i.e. someone whose just come from aboard but suddenly works out what they are,
    then they can screw you.

Even if the tenant doesn't screw you the letting agency easily can. Hint- read the recent news story on Foxtons and the OFT properly.

BTW there is a legal difference between being a lodger,a subtenant and a tenant. But you can obviously find that out yourself.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    The law never bothered geezers like Rachman or Van Hoogstraten - how come they got away with it?
    They bribed the right people.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I am white. And WTF do you mean ? I have been 10 years in IT and know perhaps three times what u know.
    You mean it's taken 10 years, but you've finally found the optimum angle for headset comfort? Or you've figured out a quicker way to reset a password?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    The law never bothered geezers like Rachman or Van Hoogstraten - how come they got away with it?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Thank you sooo much for taking the heat off me fella

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    The Muppet was questioning my professionalism. I needed to defend.
    Thank you sooo much for taking the heat off me fella

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah he obviously doesn't know about organisations like Shelter, CAB, local councils and law centres who give tenants lots of free advice and will help them take him to court and what advice the police will give him when he tries to enforce his dodgy contract without going through the right process......
    Don't get clever on me on laws protecting tenants. I have spent 4 months now ( 2 courts ) trying to recover 606 pounds from a dodgy let agent. I have spoken to many agencies and have ended up in many blocked streets. I have his phone number , name and place he rents out - that doesnt seem to be enough in the UK to catch a criminal. The advice I got from the court is - you need his bank account / physical address for us to do something. Do "your own research".

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    He thinks that if he puts a clause into this contract about Landlord having right to break contract early then it will actually stand up in court

Can you show me the law that prevents me to have 1 month termination notice to the tenant ? Of course you can't. I have stayed with accomodationlondon.com . They have 2 weeks termination notice. yes 2.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    He thinks that if he puts a clause into this contract about Landlord having right to break contract early then it will actually stand up in court
    Yeah he obviously doesn't know about organisations like Shelter, CAB, local councils and law centres who give tenants lots of free advice and will help them take him to court and what advice the police will give him when he tries to enforce his dodgy contract without going through the right process......

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
    An Assured Shorthold Tenancy at inception must start with a minimum 6 month term, and you cannot remove the tenant during this period, unless there are grounds for it. (I think you need to issue a Section 25 notice).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am white. And WTF do you mean ? I have been 10 years in IT and know perhaps three times what u know.
    Not all 'Whites' are 'English'

Leave a comment:

• minsky1
    replied
    You really haven't got to grips with this buy to let lark have you .....

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy at inception must start with a minimum 6 month term, and you cannot remove the tenant during this period, unless there are grounds for it. (I think you need to issue a Section 25 notice).

Regardless, you will have to get a court order to evict within the first 6 months (any anytime thereafter, if the tenant is unwilling to comply with posession).

A while since I did it, but the last tenant I had moved out because of ill health --- her boyfriend almost killed her while the rozzers were busy kicking the back door in.

Would have been mildly amusing, if it werent for the fact it was my property .......

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I use a motorhome.....£50 a week

Leave a comment:

• Paula
    replied
    Many women would go weak at the knees to know a man with an Audi a3 is in the area. Free lodgings and lashings of how's your father should be on offer I shouldn't wonder.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Solution 5:
    Just move to London, possibly in an area very well connected to most, like Clapham Junction for example, where you have a near 100% chance to find one contract after the other.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X