• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bathroom quote...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bathroom quote..."

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Scary. Quoted £2,500 per week, 2 weeks work.

Just for a 6 foot by 6 foot bathroom!
    Changing the tiles, swapping just bath, sink and loo.

Need another quote I think.....
    Moving stuff around?
    Shower over bath?
    Floor tiling?
    Mosaic tiles?
    Lighting change?
    Do you have another toilet in the house?

N,N,N,N,N,Y = I'll do it for £3,500

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You just can't get anyone to do those lovely wiped solder joints on the lead pipes any more...
    Welding them isn't that hard either, just stick the pipes together, heat them up and it sucks the solder in, job done. I admit that I probably leave a little bit more solder on the pipe than a professional plumber, but then I do it once in a blue moon. I seriously consider jacking in the IT and becoming a plumber/gas installer some times. nice simple work that doesn't require that much in the way of thinking and pays well too.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Give Diver a call. He could do a little job like that one-handed.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Get a nice Pole to do it, they work hard and are cheap.

Alternatively do what I did, DIY.

Get large tiles and you don't have to do as much grouting, plumbing is like lego these days with push fit joints, overall it's not that hard a job. Also when you do it yourself you are more likely to do a better job as you care that it is all in properly. Most tradesmen will bodge it a bit behind the scenes and just make sure that the finish looks nice anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Bathroom quote:

"How the f$ck did I curl that one out".
    (Flubster, 6am this morning)

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Get 2 or 3 quotes. Also any personal recommendations are worth it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    When I got my bathroom done in 2005, I paid about £3500 all in. But the bloke couldn't plaster for toffee and he didn't get a part-P certified electrician to do the lights. I'm no sparky but I know damn well he didn't do it properly - lights fuse blew recently and only the lights in the bathroom stayed on, hmm....

I think you rather get what you pay for to a certain extent. Make sure you get reliable recommendations for whoever you use and try and see some examples of their work.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Thats way to expensive, my plumber charges £225 labour and thats London, and he is the best plumber Ive ever dealt with.
    Yeah but have you seen your back ?

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Thats way to expensive, my plumber charges £225 labour and thats London, and he is the best plumber Ive ever dealt with.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    That is the advantage of comming from eastern europe . I will ring / fly /accomodate a group of 5 professional workers to UK and back and still will pay 1k in expenses.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by miffy View Post
    I had mine done for 2K all in. They did everything including new downlights, replastering, paint, tiled the floor and new extractor fan as well.

Took them a one week (two sweaty blokes).

I'd always ask around to see if someone can recommend anybody.

Sounds expensive, then again if you're having a gold toilet...
    Mine is wall to wall tiles, maybe that may account for some of the expense (especially ripping out the old ones).

Would be happy with £2k!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Yes, labour only!

I am to provide the tiles, bathroom suite etc.....

They may chuck in the grout mind you!
    wow! that is amazing.

I pay a really really good builder £200 per day - he project manages too and gets lots of cheap materials.

ordinary blokes are £150 per day.

that is London prices.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    .. They may chuck in the grout mind you!
    Yes, that's probably how they'll try and get it roughly between the tiles

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    I had mine done for 2K all in. They did everything including new downlights, replastering, paint, tiled the floor and new extractor fan as well.

Took them a one week (two sweaty blokes).

I'd always ask around to see if someone can recommend anybody.

Sounds expensive, then again if you're having a gold toilet...

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is that labour only?
    Yes, labour only!

I am to provide the tiles, bathroom suite etc.....

They may chuck in the grout mind you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X