• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Car depreciation

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car depreciation"

Collapse

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    Or an Audi A3
    Yeah get a Yugo , fat girl friend and a permie job. Enjoy life.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    So would I but this is all hypothetical - I was asking how much the guy actually paid.
    Hairy muff.

But perhaps he did order the car and wait.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I lose a spectacular amount of cash on every car I buy it seems. It is an unfortunate 'gift' that I appear to have.

Cars are not good for my bank balance, but I do like a nice motor.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Nothing if you're willing to order the car and wait.

If someone offers me £20k over the purchase price I'll snatch their hand off!
    So would I but this is all hypothetical - I was asking how much the guy actually paid.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 26 February 2008, 16:51. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

My new Alpina costs the same amount as my AMG did 5 years ago and with all the extras and is practically the same as a comparable 335i which its based on, but better.
    Er.... all pretty meaningless comparisons in terms of depreciation, surely.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I once sold a car for £500 more than I bought it for after a year and 10k miles.
    I once sold a car for 9 quid than I bought it for. It cost me 3 quid and Isold it for 12 to the scräppy.

My new Alpina costs the same amount as my AMG did 5 years ago and with all the extras and is practically the same as a comparable 335i which its based on, but better.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I once sold a car for £500 more than I bought it for after a year and 10k miles. But that was when you could import cars from the EC for 1,000s less than the UK price, the euro was about 1.8 to the £ at the time

Probably looking at 8k depreciation on my current car over 3 years

I've come to the conclusion that if the car is over 30k it's better to lease and bung the money in the bank. Otherwise it's usually cheaper to buy

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    hmmm - but how much over list had he paid in the first place?
    Nothing if you're willing to order the car and wait.

If someone offers me £20k over the purchase price I'll snatch their hand off!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I worked with a contractor who bought a brand new 911, kept it for a few months and sold it back to the dealer at list price, as they had a load of mugs willing to pay over list price to jump the queue.
    hmmm - but how much over list had he paid in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Herein lies the 'Porsche's don't depreciate much' myth. Because of the cost involved people want the security of buying from a dealer, this makes private sales hard, and hence the dealer is able to buy the car back under market value and sell on at a premium. I'm sure this happens with many other top marques too.
    Taken together with the fact that pretty much all Porsche buyers have paid thousands for options that they'll never see back and aren't factored into the calcs.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Herein lies the 'Porsche's don't depreciate much' myth. Because of the cost involved people want the security of buying from a dealer, this makes private sales hard, and hence the dealer is able to buy the car back under market value and sell on at a premium. I'm sure this happens with many other top marques too.
    I worked with a contractor who bought a brand new 911, kept it for a few months and sold it back to the dealer at list price, as they had a load of mugs willing to pay over list price to jump the queue.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    While there is a good 2nd-hand market for BMW/Merc/Lexus motors (at least in London), you'll find that most prices are artificial and inflated by the authorised dealers whose interests lie obviously in keeping prices high.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Had a long weekend in Rome and in all the hair raising taxi rides, the only seriously dangerous moment was caused by Mr 3 series, who just like here, pushed it just that bit further and relied on everyone else not to ram him (one day, one day!)

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Saw a classic case of BMW driving yesterday.
    Narrow street with cars parked on the right hand side (from my direction of travel), there were 3-4 cars coming in the other direction so i stopped before the parked cars to let them past as they had got there first.
    Next thing i know, some plonker in a BMW 318 roars past me from behind, finds himself face to face with the oncoming cars and so, without stopping, has to mount the pavement to pass them.
    I aplaude ye, owner of what is clearly an ultimate driving machine
    Dodgy Agent, is that you?

Leave a comment:

• shelby68
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Saw a classic case of BMW driving yesterday.
    Narrow street with cars parked on the right hand side (from my direction of travel), there were 3-4 cars coming in the other direction so i stopped before the parked cars to let them past as they had got there first.
    Next thing i know, some plonker in a BMW 318 roars past me from behind, finds himself face to face with the oncoming cars and so, without stopping, has to mount the pavement to pass them.
    I aplaude ye, owner of what is clearly an ultimate driving machine
    how come?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X