• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Repossession by the Peoples' Bank"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Re-mortgage with no job, then tell the lender they'd have to wait 9 months for their first payment anyway? This is exactly why ISMI fails - no bank would buy that (9 missed payments?). How many people do you think have savings to see them through 7 or 8 mortgage payments (not counting contractors, but average person earning an average or lower wage)? NL knew it would save them shedloads when they increased the qualifying term from 3 months to 9 months, at the start of their rule.

All it takes is a car accident or illness that keeps you out of work for a while - could happen to absolutely anyone and it does happen, every day of every week.
    ISMI recipients average wages 20% run into arrears, lower wages 80% run into arrears.

This figures are regarded as encouraging (for what I wonder ).

However, the social policy is that people with mortgages should insure them against these sorts of things (never mind the often prohibitive cost and the fact that they rarely pay out).

I'm not against this in principal, I don't see why society (i.e. me) should fund the incautious or irresponsible. Equally I don;t see why tenants should be treated more favourably.

The problem is that the people who really suffer are those who do try and be responsible. As zeity said it's designed that way - and it truly is.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    I stand corrected.

So a re mortgage to interest only would be the only option, given that there was enough equity in the property to make the lender interested.
    shocking
    Re-mortgage with no job, then tell the lender they'd have to wait 9 months for their first payment anyway? This is exactly why ISMI fails - no bank would buy that (9 missed payments?). How many people do you think have savings to see them through 7 or 8 mortgage payments (not counting contractors, but average person earning an average or lower wage)? NL knew it would save them shedloads when they increased the qualifying term from 3 months to 9 months, at the start of their rule.

All it takes is a car accident or illness that keeps you out of work for a while - could happen to absolutely anyone and it does happen, every day of every week.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Guess where the computers are sited in our wunnerful new PFI council building...

Guess why the street it's located on is named "Water Street"

They obviously bought some smarmy sales guy's pitch of water cooling at no extra cost.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Housing benefit only applies to tenants. Interest on mortgages is called ISMI and doesn't kick in for 39 weeks - I think this is still capped at the interest on 125,000 capital.

I agree with the general sentiment though, but it's not easy for that many people to get themselves in the postion where they can survive on 50 quid a week. If you do happen to have a chunk stashed with the intent of tiding you over until ISMI kick in that doesn't work. since once you move off UB it's means tested, so you have to spend that rather than getting any other benefit.

The system fails anybody who tries to be responsible.
    I stand corrected.

So a re mortgage to interest only would be the only option, given that there was enough equity in the property to make the lender interested.
    shocking

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I really think NL is trying to give the Tories all the bullets they could ever want. First you have the Tories raise the issue of taxing non-doms which Darling nicked and which he has been watering down ever since. Then a run on the bank. Now we have the treasurey appointing a non dom guy to run it who himself appoints another as his number 2. How they managed to neatly tie 2 of Darlings problems up into one neat bundle is pretty good even for this lot

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I don't have any mortgages on my properties

There is no reason to lose your home if you are out of work. our taxes pay for the governments housing benefits handout, that pays the interest on your mortgage while you are unemployed, it is up to you to renegotiate an interest only or extended mortgage that you can afford to cover.

Alternately, you take out insurance to cover the eventuality.
    Housing benefit only applies to tenants. Interest on mortgages is called ISMI and doesn't kick in for 39 weeks - I think this is still capped at the interest on 125,000 capital.

I agree with the general sentiment though, but it's not easy for that many people to get themselves in the postion where they can survive on 50 quid a week. If you do happen to have a chunk stashed with the intent of tiding you over until ISMI kick in that doesn't work. since once you move off UB it's means tested, so you have to spend that rather than getting any other benefit.

The system fails anybody who tries to be responsible.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    With their acuity I'm surprised they noticed any difference.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Glad I don't work in the basement at GCHQ. they were underwater in the floods
    With their acuity I'm surprised they noticed any difference.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I'm just waiting for all these cheap properties to flood the market

Should be loads by year end, as the government tries to offload the NR loanbook by raising mortgage rates.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Glad I don't work in the basement at GCHQ. they were underwater in the floods

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    If I told you, I would have to kill you
    New one or old one?

p.s. your avatar looks disturbingly like Evan Davies. It's not nice.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Do you really work at GCHQ?
    If I told you, I would have to kill you

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Do you really work at GCHQ?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I don't have a mortgage either. No property!

I'm free to roam the world, I just choose not to for the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Me neither.

Hey! Let's pull up the ladder Jack

Leave a comment:

Working...
X