• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm sorry - I just don't get this..."

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's the exception rather than the rule - my two permie jobs have been one month notice. Orange had a three month notice period for people above a certain grade, IIRC when I was consulting there.

If it's unreasonable, you can walk at any time without notice - I left my last permie job without giving the month notice. They got two and a half weeks, which we compromised at to make nice.

If you start making a pest of yourself or have access to anything sensitive they soon forget the notice period, or offer garden leave.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I can understand the minimum term following training - but I'd baulk at a de facto 6 or 3 month termination period.
    It's the exception rather than the rule - my two permie jobs have been one month notice. Orange had a three month notice period for people above a certain grade, IIRC when I was consulting there.

If it's unreasonable, you can walk at any time without notice - I left my last permie job without giving the month notice. They got two and a half weeks, which we compromised at to make nice.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    It's working for Xen and he needs his daily kiss?
    (And I still reckon it's Xen after another snog).

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    There's also the 6 months or longer notice periods to watch out for, which must make going back to contracting a bit more difficult to arrange!
    I can understand the minimum term following training - but I'd baulk at a de facto 6 or 3 month termination period.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Don't know if they have a minimum term on permie contracts - never been a permie. If so it would make my decision easier.
    I think they try to tie you in when offering training and other courses, saying if you leave before a certain period after the training you have to pay them back for the extortionate costs of it.

There's also the 6 months or longer notice periods to watch out for, which must make going back to contracting a bit more difficult to arrange!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Would you have to commit to being there for say longer than 2 years?

If not, hell I've had contracts longer than that, so permiedom should be looked at in that perspective. Like a long term contract only different.
    Don't know if they have a minimum term on permie contracts - never been a permie. If so it would make my decision easier.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    ITBH - the abject dread I feel at the prospect of going permie is telling me more than anything else - it's 99% likely I'll stay contracting unless they offer me truly silly money. The 1% is the rate, and the prospect of a healthy training budget - would be nice to up-skill for free and then go back to contracting. If it's all empty promises then I'd be gone in a trice.

Would you have to commit to being there for say longer than 2 years?

If not, hell I've had contracts longer than that, so permiedom should be looked at in that perspective. Like a long term contract only different.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    How would they know what your net income is ?

They don't know what you expenses are do they ?

Wait and see what they offer, and then add another another chunk on top and tell them you will think about it. Also mention that there will be costs involved in closing your company and if they want you they will need to pay this also.

When will they be making the offer ?
    I worked out my projected net based on my current rate, added a chunk for good measure and did just that - said I'd consider the options if faced with a formal offer. Not thought about the co closing costs - cheers for that.

TBH - the abject dread I feel at the prospect of going permie is telling me more than anything else - it's 99% likely I'll stay contracting unless they offer me truly silly money. The 1% is the rate, and the prospect of a healthy training budget - would be nice to up-skill for free and then go back to contracting. If it's all empty promises then I'd be gone in a trice.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    She just happened to be in London that day for work. No, she's not coming to the Northern do...away snowboarding.
    Boo - she was funny.

And she bought me alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    And yet, you brought your sister to the last one!

Is she coming to the next do?
    She just happened to be in London that day for work. No, she's not coming to the Northern do...away snowboarding.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Like **** I am.

Seriously....in the list of bad ideas taking your other half to the CUK do has to be up there. I want her to go a few more months before finding out I am a complete muppet.
    And yet, you brought your sister to the last one!

Is she coming to the next do?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    You haven't murdered her in the back of your rig already have you?

She's probably already grasped that when you insist on only talking to her from behind the sofa with a sock on your hand. The novelty of living with an 'eccentric' will soon wear off, so you may as well edge your bets and delete all posts referring to yourself as no longer single.
    Nah, I think it'll be car crash funny when I go off the rails and announce that I am single again. Expect that announcement sometime next week. I'm not a commitment person.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Like **** I am.

Seriously....in the list of bad ideas taking your other half to the CUK do has to be up there. I want her to go a few more months before finding out I am a complete muppet.

She's probably already grasped that when you insist on only talking to her from behind the sofa with a sock on your hand. The novelty of living with an 'eccentric' will soon wear off, so you may as well edge your bets and delete all posts referring to yourself as no longer single.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Like **** I am.
    You haven't murdered her in the back of your rig already have you?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    You taking her to the northern CUK do???
    Like **** I am.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X