• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Norwich Union

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Norwich Union"

Collapse

• administrator
    replied
    I think this thread has had its time and should be left to rest in peace

Ling was funny but agree with the mods, please don't bring her back again! Paddy - as for the banning being wrong please PM me if you honestly feel this needs discussion, happy to hear your point of view.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    you said her name ...

That's up there with saying "Candy man" three times, or posting a message linking to Ling's Cars.

We're all doomed.

[link to Ling's Cars website removed by moderator who wants an easy life]

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The only relevant bit was the last five words.
    You are thinking straight for once DP

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Well actually it is not. It is about one single employer dominating the workplace. NU are by far and away the largest Financial services company in Norwich. these sort of companies become victims of their dominance. OK they get a free run at all of the local population's brightest (which I grant is not many as most locals are related to each other).
    However because there are no competitor employers within commuting distance the workers tend to embed themselves into a culture of entitlement (to their jobs) protectionism and nepotism. In London or other big cities there is a constant churn of workers which is healthy for the workers themselves and the employers (and of course recruitment agents )
    The only relevant bit was the last five words.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Oh, yes it is!
    Well actually it is not. It is about one single employer dominating the workplace. NU are by far and away the largest Financial services company in Norwich. these sort of companies become victims of their dominance. OK they get a free run at all of the local population's brightest (which I grant is not many as most locals are related to each other).
    However because there are no competitor employers within commuting distance the workers tend to embed themselves into a culture of entitlement (to their jobs) protectionism and nepotism. In London or other big cities there is a constant churn of workers which is healthy for the workers themselves and the employers (and of course recruitment agents )

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    I've noticed that over the last couple of years that they've gone down the "employed consultant" method for many of their contractors through their PSL agencies. Permie wages, contractor short-falls. The agents trying to con people into these roles must be fed up of people laughing at them. I've asked them politely to never call me again.

The atrocious reputation they have would make me turn it down even at top-end London rates.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Oi used ter live in Nahridge.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    you said her name ...
    WHS

Ban Paddy!!!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I did a stint in Norfolk about 10 years back. Never ever ever again. And never ever ever again would be too soon.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I didn’t get the contract but the contract was still being advertised on Jobserve for well over a month afterwards.
    Count yourself lucky - I did 11 months on contract there, loved the city, hated the travel and found the natives to be somewhat provincial in outlook (wonder why)

Travelodge overlooking the bus station memories come flooding back

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    BTW. Lucy should be re-instated. The Ban was unfair.
    you said her name ...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    They insisted on interviewing me face to face for a PM role. Their questions were all about “How would you go about… bla bla bla” . I got fed up of answering and I replied. “Yes, I know how I would go about that however, I don’t give information away for free. If I get the contract then I will tell you”. I didn’t get the contract but the contract was still being advertised on Jobserve for well over a month afterwards.

BTW. Lucy should be re-instated. The Ban was unfair.
    Last edited by Paddy; 9 October 2011, 16:56.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    The actuaries run the show at NU/Aviva. And as anyone who knows one will tell you, the average actuary has no clue about how to run a business or how to implement an IT programme - but they think they do, which is rather dangerous. They also tend to be a bit on the arrogant side.

Leave a comment:

• AussieDigger
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Oh dear.

Apparently, they are desperate to attract permies, and have a new website jointhegrownups.co.uk, I wonder how much they paid some masturbating teenager for that one?

The biggest problem with NU is the dead wood, they can get as many new permies as they want, inevitably they get undermined by the choronologically promoted hopeless ethically bankrupt dead wood. Most cannot run projects and have no training in Prince2 etc, most have 'friends' in high places and will get rid of anyone who challenges them, many started straight out of school and have worked nowhere else. Good people might start working there, but they don't stay.

I contracted there for a PM who's father-in-law was on the board, interestingly the PM seemed to know what was going on before anyone else and got contracts etc signed just before freezes were announced. So much for fiduciary.

I wonder what the shareholders would think of the cost to the company of staff being forced to re-apply their jobs every couple of years. Most of the people I know who work there have applied (for the roles they currently do) over five times! What kind of insanity is going on here?

I knew of other contractors being paid 2.5 times the market rate because their pimp was also working on the project and was a friend of one of the directors, the director moved on, the pimp and the overpaid contractors still remain, in a 100M programme that has delivered about 10% of what the shareholders were promised. Efficiency.

The local newspaper seems to never properly report on or investigate what goes on. NU seem to hold Norwich hostage, they have a gentleman's agreement with Marsh Insurance, they will never employ each other's staff... I can't help wondering if NU did have their headquarters in London how long their disgraceful behaviour would last.

From what I hear, Marsh are a bunch of plunkers. A mate of mine got royally verbally abused by one of their PM's (contractor I think) and MI didn't' give a toss. But they walked another higher level guy for doing the same thing to business people. But when it comes to the PM abusing / assaulting his own team members? Seems thats okay. Seems they are one for contractors to avoid if you don't' want the *** kicked out of you....

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Wendy - what do you think the website should be called instead?
    jointheoutsourcingmoneygrabbers.co.uk

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X