• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "XP twice as fast as Vista"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    This morning I downloaded

Thanks for reminding me. Just magicked the latest episode of Lost onto my PC. I was inspired by Paul Daniels when he had an Atari 800 in the 80s.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    This morning I downloaded hooky version of OS X for x86 and set it up on a spare PC I had lying around. Now I've got a shiny new Mac to play with (if I knew what to do with it).

No problem getting and installing drivers for network, video and sound, kinda slick, maybe I've been missing out on something all these years.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    and here's me thinking that the purpose of an operating system is to make your machine work. I can be such a plonker sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    OS X better than the lot of them...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by miffy View Post
    It's because you're filthy rich DP.

The mansion in Swindon is well within your grasp.

And so is the trawler net he keeps getting stuck in.

That's what happens when you buy a newbuild house on a flood-plain.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    It's because you're filthy rich DP.

The mansion in Swindon is well within your grasp.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by miffy View Post
    Hey DP's back, you've had a few days away from the board haven't you?

How does it feel?
    Good.

I've been counting my money. These days it takes a long time.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Hey DP's back, you've had a few days away from the board haven't you?

How does it feel?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Don't blame Microsoft, blame the chip manufacturers whom seem incapable of creating a low cost PC with 400 TB of RAM, 1024 core CPU's running at 500 GHz and Petabyte Flash HDD's.

Idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I think many people have now woken up to M$ strategy of software progression. All their latest products don't do a lot that much better or efficiently than the previous version. Some things are simply worse, like that ribbon she-ite on the latest version of Office.
    I would have to say that it's actually quite good once you get used to it. no doubt I'm now going to get flamed

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    ... not forgetting good old MS-DOS, and CPM.

Bet those would be really quick.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    OS/2 1.3 Faster than the lot of 'em!!!

Oh, OS/2 how I miss you!

Churchill - In "Poet and didn't know it" mode!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Are M$ doing the cut down version of Vista they did (or were going to do) with XP for the 3rd world?

I bet that one flies, and at a fraction of the price, if not free!

I think M$ shot themselves in the foot by developing their new operating systems using their own bloated dev tools. They should have stuck to C++ instead of believing their own hype about C#, which is just a wrapper for their .Net carp. Hence developing in C# or VB.net makes very little difference to the overall solution, where C++ used to wipe the floor with VB. Is it M$ dumbing down or my understanding of it?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It is.

HTH.

And 95 is quicker still.

HTH HTH...
    OS/2 1.3 Faster than the lot of 'em!!!

Oh, OS/2 how I miss you!

Churchill - In "Poet and didn't know it" mode!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    My new laptop, bought mid 07, came preinstalled with vista and ran like a 3 legged dog running through treacle.

Quick install of XP and it flies...
    Besides, if you want all that Aero stuff, which I think is vastly overrated, there's third-party add-ons to make XP look more like Vista, but without the massive performance hit.

I await news that M$ have bought the rights to it and the next 'update' for Vista will be XP in drag.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    My new laptop, bought mid 07, came preinstalled with vista and ran like a 3 legged dog running through treacle.

Quick install of XP and it flies...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X