• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tomtom holder

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tomtom holder"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Did not know that!
    As members of the fora know, I'm keen, for certain reasons, to push TomTom products. So I've just been on the blower to the lady in charge of writing that big sheet of instructions. You know the one, it sits right below the lid when you open the box, and is the first thing you lay your sweaty hands on. Anyway I was enquiring as to whether it could be made clearer. Unfortunately her response will not pass through the tulip filter.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    whats all this tomtom gadget lark about? for gods sake man (and woman), we're supposed to be contractors here FFS

get either a decent car with sat nav included or if you must drive round in a bangered up old passat AND need help avoiding the traffic get a decent phone that you can install tomtom navigator 6 on it.. job done, no fuss, no extra gadgets clogging up your glove box. An even better idea, get a contract where you can work from home, no tomtom needed then..

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I currently only use my TomTom XL on exceptional occasions, but when they bring out their High Definition Traffic service this year I will switch to using it for every journey.
    You'll need a new machine for HD traffic, I think.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I currently only use my TomTom XL on exceptional occasions, but when they bring out their High Definition Traffic service this year I will switch to using it for every journey.

Had I had this a couple of weeks ago when the A40 on the way home was completely shut by an accident that occurred 15 minutes before I left work, I wouldn't have spent four hours travelling the 30 miles to home.

Similarly, when my wife insisted we try to go to our usual supermarket rather than the nearest one last Saturday, even though I had strong reason to suspect we would be thwarted by traffic, I wouldn't have had to wait until we were stuck in traffic in the approach to the closed tunnel before convincing her to give up.

When the other night I went to pick up my wife from work and found half the City roads shut for resurfacing or jammed by traffic trying to find a route through, HD traffic would have forewarned and rescued me.

My prerequisites list for my next car now includes having Satnav with HD traffic built in. TomTom have said they will license their service to car manufacturers.
    How does the HD traffic service differ from the normal blue-toothed traffic reports you can receive?

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    F* horrible things - why do people who drive the same route to and from their permanent place of work every day (Wilmslow) need the sodding things???

Discuss.

Had I had this a couple of weeks ago when the A40 on the way home was completely shut by an accident that occurred 15 minutes before I left work, I wouldn't have spent four hours travelling the 30 miles to home.

Similarly, when my wife insisted we try to go to our usual supermarket rather than the nearest one last Saturday, even though I had strong reason to suspect we would be thwarted by traffic, I wouldn't have had to wait until we were stuck in traffic in the approach to the closed tunnel before convincing her to give up.

When the other night I went to pick up my wife from work and found half the City roads shut for resurfacing or jammed by traffic trying to find a route through, HD traffic would have forewarned and rescued me.

My prerequisites list for my next car now includes having Satnav with HD traffic built in. TomTom have said they will license their service to car manufacturers.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 7 February 2008, 17:14.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I have 2 holders as my first TomTom520 exploded in my hands rather than tell me where I wanted to go. So I took it back but 'forgot' to give all the bits in with it.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Hi, I recently ordered tomtom holder for my tomtom 500... you can get them from tomtom website (costs 40 squieds) but I got mine from ebay, cost 20 squids !!

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Are there any good aftermarket holders for the 520? Maybe a lever type that you place on the windscreen then pull the lever with?
    Have you considered a fixed brodit proclip and mount?

I got mine from these guys... linky

Just had a look and they do a mount for the 520.

I had one for the tomtom in my old beemer and it was great, no drilling and removes without a trace. Current car has factory sat nav although I've kept the nav unit incase I ever have to endure a rental/courtesy car.

Beats sticking it to your windscreen everytime you get in the car.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Mine is affectingly known as Marie. She has fairly up to date maps but is hopeless at plotting even the most basic route. Add to that the fact that she spends most of the time moaning about something and nothing and offering nothing in the way of help I really don't know why I have her in the car. Of and she is far too big for the glove box and will not sit in the boot either.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    F* horrible things - why do people who drive the same route to and from their permanent place of work every day (Wilmslow) need the sodding things???

Discuss.
    Well mine is also an MP3 player and holds most of my music so I dont have to listen to tulipe radio progs. It is also a blue tooth link to my moby and is therefore a hands free kit. It also reads out texts. With the FM transmitter mount it then outputs all sound via my car stereo receiver.
    Nice.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Discuss.
    Because it gives the latest traffic problems and helps plan a route around them.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Every morning when I wake up and think about the day ahead, I've started to smile to myself as think how my life could be much worse.

Wilmmssslooooww!!!
    <canned laughter/>

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    If I had a tom tom or similar I'd be more interested in getting an accessory to attach it to somewhere other than the windscreen.

The thieving scrotes look out for the marks left on the windscreen, knowing there's a good chance of it being hidden under the seat or in the glovebox.

My brother had a tom tom stolen from his work van a while ago. Apparently his work had been telling him it had a tracker chip in it so they knew where he was. Funny how it failed to track it once stolen. The NSA must have turned off their satellite to go and sell some more water filters instead.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by Chantho View Post
    Any relation to NoddyNoddy Holder?
    My sister went to school with his daughter.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    evostick

Leave a comment:

Working...
X