• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ska

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ska"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Ok, ok, I got the point, christ people, that's what test releases are for - I am just glad Leonardo da Vinchi is not alive now, you'd critisise him to death
    Vinci

criticise

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Ok, ok, I got the point, christ people, that's what test releases are for - I am just glad Leonardo da Vinchi is not alive now, you'd critisise him to death

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    Well done on making your dream reality.

HOWEVER, some constuctive feedback which you'll hopefully accept in the manner it is intended to be received.

The frontend of the site is amateurish to say the least. As DimPrawn points out, humour and photos of you molesting squirrels isn't going to help me, as a business, make the decision to part with hard cash. And before you say that this is an early version, remember that first impressions count!

Nobody (except geeks) cares what's under the bonnet and how wonderfully efficient the code behind is. People want slick UIs and usability.

You do need someone to look at the language as well; it reads almost like the English used in a phishing scam - TBH I'd be terrified to put a URL in just in case my website was bombed.

As I said; my first impressions and the feedback is in no way meant to be malicious.

That's exactly what I'm saying too.

It's important to have well written English on any site that aims to part people and money.

Don't spend time here, spend time getting the website up to a high standard.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Spelling mistakes - fair play, will be fixed thanks.

Picture - not sure I should remove it. Maybe I will move it to another site.

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Well done on making your dream reality.

HOWEVER, some constuctive feedback which you'll hopefully accept in the manner it is intended to be received.

The frontend of the site is amateurish to say the least. As DimPrawn points out, humour and photos of you molesting squirrels isn't going to help me, as a business, make the decision to part with hard cash. And before you say that this is an early version, remember that first impressions count!

Nobody (except geeks) cares what's under the bonnet and how wonderfully efficient the code behind is. People want slick UIs and usability.

You do need someone to look at the language as well; it reads almost like the English used in a phishing scam - TBH I'd be terrified to put a URL in just in case my website was bombed.

As I said; my first impressions and the feedback is in no way meant to be malicious.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    If you're serious

OK, if this is a serious attempt to make money then I suggest (1) fixing some of the silly spelling mistakes, (2) lose the awful picture

2. Have a system that will allow ourselves to improve out relevancy algorithms ...

3. Achieve a financial position that will allow us to mount attack on the leadering search engines ...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    Don't think I'm an "SEO Type" but I can see some real use for the information I've already gleaned for the couple of sites I've put in there. It found many backlinks to a page on one of my sites that didn't exist anymore! Got that sorted now.

I've passed the link on to a few friends who are quite clued up on SEO.

Will there always be a 'free' subscription with more on offer if you pay or will it be paid subscription only?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlG View Post
    "Wee bot" - sounded more like a child's name for genitalia to me

I changed it now, will update in a couple of hours...

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    "Wee bot" - sounded more like a child's name for genitalia to me

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlG View Post
    "Don't forget our deal - you have agreed to allow our wee bot to crawl your site, we took your word for it! "
    That's scottish word, isn't it? "wee" == "small"

I might change it then, it's second comment on it

Leave a comment:

• ControlG
    replied
    Looks good

There is, however, a after a site has been successfully added. Sorry if someone else already brought this to your attention.

"Don't forget our deal - you have agreed to allow our wee bot to crawl your site, we took your word for it! "

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Presumably the kind of analysis/reports output from your engine can’t be provided by analysing results returned from the existing search engines
    Existing search engines don't want this sort of analysis to happen because it would shed a light on how they rank sites. They usually provide a fraction of backlinks, often intentionally of low value because making people understand how sites are ranked is not exactly helping their business model of making money on ads.

Indeed, there is a need to increase level of reports, that's what I will be doing this and following months - however people should bear in mind that the best current service of this kind is Google webmaster tools, and even at current level they show less information and less urls even for your own sites, they don't show you that for competitor sites

I had the idea a while ago, about time I started working on SKA.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Presumably the kind of analysis/reports output from your engine can’t be provided by analysing results returned from the existing search engines (who cares if it takes seconds instead of milliseconds for this kind of analysis/reporting?), since that kind of project could have been done in days/week rather than years (been there, got the T-shirt), so I guess it must provide a more sophisticated level of service than can be achieved by doing it in other ways.

That said, there’s potentially loadsa wonga to be made with search engines and you indicate that you have interested parties. Where did you get the idea?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    get a decent copywriter, web designer and business head to manage majesticseo.com
    No I can't afford that right now, and as far as web design is concerned I think it is sufficiently good. Your suggestion is not appropriate right now so much that I am not even laughing at it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    All right, look, this is still work in progress and most of time had to be spent on database, this is the key product, not jokes or anything else, without key product there is no sale: right now people can use free reports to see value of data and this is what I want them to do and in March I will have payable options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X