• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Patio Heaters

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Patio Heaters"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    precisely.

Even if the TV used 1kW, if still wouldn't be a very good (outside space) heater.

My guess is that he was using the mis-use of statistics that usually used here. I.e: he was referring to the heater for one hour and the TV for one year.

tim
    It was "based on normal patterns of use" i.e. TV on 24/365, patio heater one chilly spring evening.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    My new TV uses 1W on standby.

A 1/4 watt patio heater wouldn't use much gas would it.
    precisely.

Even if the TV used 1kW, if still wouldn't be a very good (outside space) heater.

My guess is that he was using the mis-use of statistics that usually used here. I.e: he was referring to the heater for one hour and the TV for one year.

tim

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

Maybe it was measured over the course of a millennium.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    I want to know what the "doctor" who said that "4 patio heaters only create as much extra green house gas as ONE TV on standby", got his doctorate in.

It obviously wasn't a science subject, as that statement obviously doesn't stand a sanity check for one second.

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I want to know what the "doctor" who said that "4 patio heaters only create as much extra green house gas as ONE TV on standby", got his doctorate in.

It obviously wasn't a science subject, as that statement obviously doesn't stand a sanity check for one second.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Chantho View Post
    So they are going to be expat-io heaters? IGMC

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    If we were allowed more 7 litre V8 4x4's on the road, we wouldn't need fliping patio heaters.

Strange how we're supposedly increasing pollution, yet there aren't many chimneys billowing smoke anymore.

That's what happens when you don't pay any attention to history at school, you leave yourself open to a mugging.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Around the same time their terraced house became a cottage or townhouse.

My favourite housing type is the "linked detached", also known as a semi.

Mock Tudor

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I hate patio heaters. If it's too cold to go outside, don't go outside! And when did everybody's "back yard" become a "patio" anyway?

Around the same time their terraced house became a cottage or townhouse.

My favourite housing type is the "linked detached", also known as a semi.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    EU to ban them. Because they are not energy efficient? But they are: if you want heat on your patio, they are a great way to do it.

Anyway, now that we have been driven outside the pubs to smoke, they are a necessity. Though my partner insists that if patio heaters are banned too, she will just wear a fur coat.
    If we were allowed more 7 litre V8 4x4's on the road, we wouldn't need fecking patio heaters.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I hate patio heaters. If it's too cold to go outside, don't go outside! And when did everybody's "back yard" become a "patio" anyway?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post

You are ATW and I claim my £5 (using which I'll buy some ammunition to annihilate some moe grey squrrel interlopers).
    Wrong, I've never been to ruskieland, though I did have rusks as a baby. Do they still do them? They were great. Might chuck out the Rich Tea and try to dip them in my mug instead.

You don't need any ammo to kill off squirrels. Just let them chew on your nuts. It's like giving chocolate to dogs. That's why squirrels take the nuts and bury them in their own little land-fill sites.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    So can you use a patio heater to cook a grey squirrel or not?
    Dunno, but they're great for making ginger mingers out of 'ordinary' folk.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    So can you use a patio heater to cook a grey squirrel or not?

I quite like the idea that the heater is used by smokers.

Smoked squirrel could be a good plan B. As a bonus we can go for EU protection of smoked squirrel meaning that they won't be able to ban patio heaters.

As an aside, if it's cold enough to need a heater, it's not a patio. Patios should be left in Spain where they can be fitted with patio coolers.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Sheesh kebabs, Gordon Ramsey would have his work cut out with you.

FYI Red quirrels are so delicate you have to eat them raw otherwise the meat just liquifies, whereas the greys take two days of hard boiling just to loosen their fur.
    They can't be as delicate as quail's eggs or stuff like that ....and truffles..and ...and...whatever.

You are ATW and I claim my £5 (using which I'll buy some ammunition to annihilate some moe grey squrrel interlopers).

Gordon Ramsay?....pshaw, can't stand him!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X