• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Sad Tale of an Abused Land Rover"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    I can't suck like I used to in the 70's

Originally posted by miffy View Post
    You wanna rephrase that?

Have to agree with EO, I'm amazed theft of fuel from cars isn't rife at the moment.
    Syphon! I meant Syphon

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    You wanna rephrase that?

Have to agree with EO, I'm amazed theft of fuel from cars isn't rife at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I've been expecting an increased number of fuel thefts from vehicles.
    It was quite the big thing in the last fuel crisis , '76 ish

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I've been expecting an increased number of fuel thefts from vehicles.
    It was quite the big thing in the last fuel crisis , '76 ish

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scrap-Metal%2F...07241026a24719

Yours in this pile xen?

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    sorry to hear this xen.

Unfortunatley this is quite common these days. Normally it is dealerships that get hit with them taking 10+ in one go. You should report it to both the Police and the insurance co.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Scrap is big money at the moment and unfortunately your car is easy to get underneath. I've even heard of thefts from scapyards recently

Buy the cat online as suggested and get an independent to fit it

on my banger, kwik fit wanted £250 for a cat. I bought one online for £60 and a local garage fitted it for £50. The mark up on exhausts at kwik fit et al is stupid. Having said that formula 1 autocentres tend to be much cheaper than anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Chantho View Post
    I had to buy a new system, including cat, recently. I guess I should have asked to take away the old one and collected £100 for it rather than letting the garage keep it.
    Both my Range Rovers have 3 Cats fitted each.

Unfortunately I can't crawl under the R8 as it's too low.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    On Friday evening I got off at my stop and made the short walk to where my car was parked at the station. To my surprise I found that the exhaust was hanging off underneath the car. The car is a 2004 Land Rover Freelander TD4, so whilst far from the most reliable things out there, it was still a shock to see it in an undriveable state. Fast forward to Saturday - I got the car taken to the local garage and they popped it up on the ramp, where the full extent of what had happened was revealed…

Some cowardly, scumbag, thievin' gits had forcibly removed the catalytic converter. Gone. A huge gap in the exhaust system where the cat used to be. It seems to have been sawed off at each end - the front being right up against the turbo. On discovering what had happened, you could say I was a little non-plussed.

Garage have just called and quoted £555 as pretty much a full exhaust system is needed. Nice.

I haven't reported it to the police, but am considering it as I am thinking of contacting my insurance company to see what they say. Of greater concern is the fact that people are willing to do this during the day and the fact that when I get my car back I don't want this to happen again. Garage chap said they have had 4 in this year where the same thing had happened - 4x4s and a Honda of some sort. What is up with people?

I had held off on changing the car due to keeping as much moolah in the bank as possible at the moment. However, I may soon be in the market for a nice motor that has a hard-to-steal cat on it!

I had to buy a new system, including cat, recently. I guess I should have asked to take away the old one and collected £100 for it rather than letting the garage keep it.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Get an RX400h, no-one can understand what all the silver shiny bits are, never mind steal them...

My neighbour has one and it is indeed very silver and very shiny!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Get an RX400h, no-one can understand what all the silver shiny bits are, never mind steal them...

Yeah, hopefully the theiving scumbags will cut through a high tension cable thus frying themselves in the process...

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    One morning we were puzzled to see the wife's limo's bumpers missing.

£1000 each 2nd hand they were. It doesn't help they snipped a shedload of wires to remove them (it's where the indicators and fog lights reside).

(Actually, the motor looked better without them!)

Edit: Oh, and a wing mirror back cover last summer. £60.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    spare wheels that are stored on the outside of the vehicle are easy targets too. we had ours taken a couple of years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Report it to the police. They probably wont do much but will become aware of the problem.
    You're right, TLG. Done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X