• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SocGen trader loses $7bn on index futures"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    'FRIENDS of rogue trader Jerome Kerviel last night blamed his $7 billion losses on unbearable levels of stress brought on by a punishing 30 hour week.

Kerviel was known to start work as early as nine in the morning and still be at his desk at five or even five-thirty, often with just an hour and a half for lunch.

One colleague said: 'He was, how you say, une workaholique. I have a family and a mistress so I would leave the office at around 2pm at the latest, if I wasn't on strike. But Jerome was tied to that desk. One day I came back to the office at 3pm because I had forgotten my stupid little hat, and there he was, fast asleep on the photocopier. At first I assumed he had been having sex with it, but then I remembered he'd been working for almost six hours'.

As the losses mounted, Kerviel tried to conceal his bad trades by covering them with an intense red wine sauce, later switching to delicate pastry horns. At one point he managed to dispose of dozens of transactions by hiding them inside vol-au-vent cases and staging a fake reception.

Last night a spokesman for Sócíété Générálé denied that Kerviel was overworked'.
    WTF???

stress doing a 30 hour week??? Worked a whole 6 hours ???

lazy ******* permine french ****** scum bastards!!!

They'll be striking next....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    'FRIENDS of rogue trader Jerome Kerviel last night blamed his $7 billion losses on unbearable levels of stress brought on by a punishing 30 hour week.

Kerviel was known to start work as early as nine in the morning and still be at his desk at five or even five-thirty, often with just an hour and a half for lunch.

One colleague said: 'He was, how you say, une workaholique. I have a family and a mistress so I would leave the office at around 2pm at the latest, if I wasn't on strike. But Jerome was tied to that desk. One day I came back to the office at 3pm because I had forgotten my stupid little hat, and there he was, fast asleep on the photocopier. At first I assumed he had been having sex with it, but then I remembered he'd been working for almost six hours'.

As the losses mounted, Kerviel tried to conceal his bad trades by covering them with an intense red wine sauce, later switching to delicate pastry horns. At one point he managed to dispose of dozens of transactions by hiding them inside vol-au-vent cases and staging a fake reception.

Last night a spokesman for Sócíété Générálé denied that Kerviel was overworked'.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Oh dear, someone (Guy Newbury's mate, presumably) is having a laugh...

This was the entry a little while ago
    some mate

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by FT.COM
    The bank said it had no more exposure to the trader’s positions, which were identified and analysed on January 19 and 20 – just before stock markets crashed unexpectedly around the world on January 21.
    It would be a laugh if he had a massive short position and they closed it out just before the market went south.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    even that would be wrong as his losses were 4.9billion

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Not sure its 700.1 billion though
    Oh dear, someone (Guy Newbury's mate, presumably) is having a laugh...

This was the entry a little while ago

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    wiki has been edited!!!!

this is what i c now...

Guy Newbury) US$700.1 billion United Kingdom Barclays ABB
    This is what was earlier :-

Undisclosed US$7.1 billion France Societe Generale Equity futures 2008

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    wiki has been edited!!!!

this is what i c now...

Guy Newbury) US$700.1 billion United Kingdom Barclays ABB

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    straight in @ #1, loss pickers..

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    straight in @ #1, loss pickers..

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And finally it makes it to the BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7206270.stm

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trading_losses

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic SocGen trader loses $7bn on index futures

SocGen trader loses $7bn on index futures

So that is an extra $7bn floating round the square mile.

I hear rumours that fraud is involved - another Nick Leeson? I thought that was impossible these days?

Working...
X