• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Paris

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paris"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Plus if you capture it on film you can make a mint in the process

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    I would suggest a quick stay in the Hilton. Many people have done it and the general consensus is that it was good fun if nothing else. Would also give you bragging rights with your freinds if you're into that sort of thing...

Plus if you capture it on film you can make a mint in the process

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I stayed at the Hotel Cluney while working in Paris a few years back. It's about 200 metres South of Notre Dame, and was a very nice, friendly hotel, in an area full of bars and restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    You didn't ask for restaurants, but I'm definately going back to 'La Brasserie LIPP' at some point.

Also another one, named after a woman's name begining with M I think. Damn, can't remember what but I remember where it is - off of a road from the Arc de Triomphe.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    I'm going to Paris for Easter and a few days, can anyone please suggest which district to stay in, I get very confused...

Thanks
    L
    I would suggest a quick stay in the Hilton. Many people have done it and the general consensus is that it was good fun if nothing else. Would also give you bragging rights with your freinds if you're into that sort of thing...

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Rue de Lappe. Good nightlife down that way.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    But Monsieur, it is French....
    As much of a pain in the arse it is to be a non French speaker in Paris I do admire their stubborn attitude towards foreigners.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    The Francilienne ... too many poorly signposted intersections and overall lack of directional signposting ..
    But Monsieur, it is French....

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    The Francilienne? Not jammed like the M25 though.
    - looking at it some more I believe it is the A86 -M25 is Ok as long as you know when to use it The A86 is mostly precast concrete sections (the noisy type) too many poorly signposted intersections and overall lack of directional signposting .. suppose it's OK if you're a local but I see it as a hideous game the French play with tourists
    Last edited by Troll; 21 January 2008, 11:27.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Be warned there are two metro stations called "Charles de Gaulle"... one is the airport and the other isn't.

In fact it couldn’t be much further from the airport…
    "Aeroport Charles de Gaulle" on the RER; "Charles de Gaulle Etoile" on the Metro, at the Arc de Triomphe.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I often drive by CdG on the way up from the Med... shame Paris doesn't have a proper M25esque ring road
    The Francilienne (A104)? Not jammed like the M25 though.

If you want something closer in, but not as close as the Peripherique, there is the A86 (on the E side).
    Last edited by expat; 21 January 2008, 10:50.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Be warned there are two metro stations called "Charles de Gaulle"... one is the airport and the other isn't.

I often drive by CdG on the way up from the Med... shame Paris doesn't have a proper M25esque ring road

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Which are the areas best avoided ?
    All the others

OK, 10 & 18-20 are immigrant areas, more fun if you are a resident but less on beaten track for a tourist (it's where I went for Patak's). 12 is old dockland: some rough areas, some done-up e.g. Bercy stadium.

13 is Chinatown but also lots of social housing, and railway yards for E/SE.

15 is normal inexpensive (relatively!) housing, OK but of no interest to a tourist. A couple of repertory cinemas, and the Metro lost property office.

16 is Belgravia. 17 see 15.

Espere que ceci t'aide....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X