• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: work in denmark

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "work in denmark"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    woohoo - threaded has discovered babel fish
    The joke is that it is not really possible to make a Danish translator, at a top level there are three languages: spoken, written and right dansk. If you try and write a translator for either of these it will either be ridiculed, or not work.

Reasons for this is essentially no two danes actually speak the same language. For example start in Esbjerg and move across the country to Bonholm and the number of genders in the language changes from 1 to 3. Same sort of thing happens with verb conjugations. Even some words change translation: potato for example translates differently on Jylland to Sjælland.

An old fisherman from Newcastle can have a conversation, no problem, with his counterpart from Esbjerg, but just a few miles inland talking to a youngster, not a hope.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Aummba katumba bamwamba bii bii! *

* Sorry I wanted to show off my language knowledge too.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post

http://www.tranexp.com

It's not free, and it's just as crap.

This is a sample Swedish to English that it produced:

We have nots had time with that attend to all defects on olds exposed term. Therefore requires wes additional register term. Wes will wonder Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday attend to remaining apartments. For that quickly poll away defects requires wes come in in all apartments. Wes am arriving therefore, if yous nots is housewife, that autumn in with head keys. Sheep wes do not enter head down keys, all that you will reserve other term, inform ourselves this. Wes assumes otherwise that wes sheep autumn in with head keys. Wes am arriving also in allegory apartments, left a distributor as ring up to if husband had multi than a television apparatus.

It's fixable if translating into your own language, e.g sheep autumn started off as får gå which can translate as "may walk" and then the sentence makes much more sense, but you are never going to be able to fix the other direction.

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Get out of telecoms. It is a mugs game. So many bluffers in it the rates are really through the floor.
    How? (I do embedded product development BTW so my skills are easily transferable. But in the last 10 years I can count on the finges of one hand the number of times that an application for a job outside telecomms has resulted in an interview, and never in an offer).

Tim

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Babelfish gengiver ikke dansk lille skiderek.

If you do find somewhere that can do it I'd really like to know actually.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Babelfish gengiver ikke dansk lille skiderek.

If you do find somewhere that can do it I'd really like to know actually.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Discovered it?

Nah mate, he wrote it!

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    <insert name of large telecomms company>.
    Get out of telecoms. It is a mugs game. So many bluffers in it the rates are really through the floor.

Sheet, I know a company whose whole business model is to bluff unsuspecting investors into mobile/telecoms portals, then they get part-time students to 'write' the code.

They are so bad even Voda turned them down...

threaded in "telecoms is a mugs game" mode.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Ja, mit hus er mange år gamlet. Det var gamelt da Charles X Gustav af Sverige og Kong Fredierik III af Danmark mødtes i min have til forhandling om traktat Taastrup.
    This crossed 'o' and 'a' with a ball on top of it looks pretty cute. I always thought English needed more letters like 'i'.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I stedet for at gaa igang med at faa lavet nyt koekken i starten af 2006 flyttede jeg hele familien til mellemoesten. Nu er det en eller anden lejer der hygger sig med at lave mad i et halvgammelt koekken :-)

Og projektforsinkelser er det der giver os guldure, ikke sandt :-)
    Ja, mit hus er mange år gamlet. Det var gamelt da Charles X Gustav af Sverige og Kong Fredierik III af Danmark mødtes i min have til forhandling om traktat Taastrup.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto View Post
    Sorry mate, swinging is with other couples only.
    You could try dogging!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I have learned to embrace low expectations and be happy.

Mit tag er af strå, så jeg behover en tækkemand. Jeg fandt en tækkemand, og han sagde han vill komme den femte juni. Han kom igår så kun et halvt år forsinket. Det er bedre end mange projekter jeg arbjder på...
    I stedet for at gaa igang med at faa lavet nyt koekken i starten af 2006 flyttede jeg hele familien til mellemoesten. Nu er det en eller anden lejer der hygger sig med at lave mad i et halvgammelt koekken :-)

Og projektforsinkelser er det der giver os guldure, ikke sandt :-)

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Mit tag er af strå, så jeg behover en tækkemand. Jeg fandt en tækkemand, og han sagde han vill komme den femte juni. Han kom igår så kun et halvt år forsinket. Det er bedre end mange projekter jeg arbjder på...
    Sorry mate, swinging is with other couples only.
    You could try dogging!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    The secret to the Danish happiness has been found.

They have extremely low expectations for the future.

Then when they go through a year without getting fired, divorced, beheaded and boiled they are extremely happy.

I think that is not the right way of achieving happiness.

That is one of the reasons I left that miserable country.
    I have learned to embrace low expectations and be happy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X