• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Demand for IT Contractors going off a cliff"

Collapse

• MrRobin
    replied
    See. Look again. Was just the January lull that happens every year.

I'm going to trademark my own saying...

It'll be fine™

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d...S.d/index.html
    Last edited by MrRobin; 4 February 2008, 09:44. Reason: Added link

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I got to say lads, doesn't look good does it.

Time to batten down the hatches and step up a gear and do a good job, hopefully being the last one to get kicked out and appreciating what you have.

All the best,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    So... which agency is going to go bust first?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Is it a compulsion with numbers... like trainspotting?
    No. Researching the market. I do a full extract of Jobserve into a database and work out what skills are being asked for to determine what training I want, what areas and so on.

When I came across Jobstats I was a bit narked!

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Looking at hourly rates:

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/Rates.html

It looks like we never even got back to the rates offered in 2000 (£68 for the top 10% of earners and coincidentally was my rate in 2000-2002) in nominal terms, never mind real terms.

£68 is about £95 in today's money. Kind of depressing in a way that I reached my peak earnings at the age of 26 and it's all down hill from now on.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    If you want to know if a hard rains a gonna fall -

Take a look at restaurants in your locale - are they busy or do you see a lot of empty tables - that - for the past few recessions in the UK was always the most predictable early warning sign.
    There was maybe 1 less car at the McDonalds drive through? Should we be worried?

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Yep

I have seen all the restaurants and bars in London full of Eastern Europeans spending their hard earned cash-not!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    If you want to know if a hard rains a gonna fall -

Take a look at restaurants in your locale - are they busy or do you see a lot of empty tables - that - for the past few recessions in the UK was always the most predictable early warning sign.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    I have been keeping a log of stats from Jobserve for myself since 2000. Specifically, the number of IT roles in the UK per day.
    Is it a compulsion with numbers... like trainspotting?

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Glad I'm ion the Northwest for once, not anywhere near as scary as London

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Wrong time of the year

Worst possible time (and not just because of the recent credit freeze). Busiest time is Apr-Jun, quietest Jan-Mar.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Debt looks fairly safe, and good rates. I think I'm going to get into debt:

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d...T.d/index.html

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Good to see some things are consistent

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d...X.d/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Dust off your Plan B's everyone

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Demand for workers falling off so what does the government do?

Yup, you guessed - increase the supply. Link: BBC

I'm glad I'm out the game these days. (Own co., not on the bench)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X