• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best location to live for UK contractors"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Tis indeed a nice part o the world!
    Indeed it is.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

tulipehole dump
    Well yes but commercial land prices are almost second only to Heathrow. Well they were when I looked last year.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I live in Leicestershire
    Tis indeed a nice part o the world!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I live in the "golden traingle" that is formed by the M1, M6, M69.

tulipehole dump

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I live in Leicestershire, there must be other places that would be more convenient on paper, but I can't stand the South of England (except as a place to work, when forced)

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Doncaster
    That's where my last contract was. The massive place next to J6 M18 you partly have me to thank for.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Doncaster

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I do logistics. I live in the "golden traingle" that is formed by the M1, M6, M69.

Current role is a trek though. Only took it as it would have meant the same Client on my CV twice with a years gap (another project), same team, differnet project. Looks good etc.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by LJames75 View Post
    When I lived in Longbridge on the outskirts of Birmingham, I used to get up at 04:30 travel by bus to New Street Station.

Then catch the train to Oxford, then change to Didcot, and do a Linford down the steps under the subway, and up the steps to the other platform to catch the train to Swindon.

Then I would catch the free bus outside the station to work.

Then I would do the same journey back. At the time it cost me £97 a week.

A few weeks later the London Bombings occured, and I found out by chance that there was a train from Swindon to Cheltenham. (at the time nationalrail.co.uk didn't list this route) so I changed at Cheltenham, for New St and then travelled back up the line to Longbridge.

Of where I then did the new route there and back each day until the end of my contract.

When I moved home to Nottingham, I used to travel by train to Derby, change at Derby for New Street, then change for Walsall then catch a bus out to a place called Brownhills. Did that everyday for 3 months.

Then I used to travel from Nottingam to Luton everyday for £120 a week train fare. 1hr 30 mins in total.

I now travel from Nottingham to Birmingham everyday, 1hr 30 mins travel for £70 a week.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Leave a comment:

• LJames75
    replied
    When I lived in Longbridge on the outskirts of Birmingham, I used to get up at 04:30 travel by bus to New Street Station.

Then catch the train to Oxford, then change to Didcot, and do a Linford down the steps under the subway, and up the steps to the other platform to catch the train to Swindon.

Then I would catch the free bus outside the station to work.

Then I would do the same journey back. At the time it cost me £97 a week.

A few weeks later the London Bombings occured, and I found out by chance that there was a train from Swindon to Cheltenham. (at the time nationalrail.co.uk didn't list this route) so I changed at Cheltenham, for New St and then travelled back up the line to Longbridge.

Of where I then did the new route there and back each day until the end of my contract.

When I moved home to Nottingham, I used to travel by train to Derby, change at Derby for New Street, then change for Walsall then catch a bus out to a place called Brownhills. Did that everyday for 3 months.

Then I used to travel from Nottingam to Luton everyday for £120 a week train fare. 1hr 30 mins in total.

I now travel from Nottingham to Birmingham everyday, 1hr 30 mins travel for £70 a week.

Leave a comment:

• Squatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
    I live in Milton Keynes, great range of property and not overly inflated house prices, fairly central and good road and rail links.

Currently commuting to slough 3 days a week
    Milton Keynes to Slough.. ever tempted to top yourself?

I think the Reading area is best. Just avoid Oxford Road - drugs, pimps, prossies etc.. unless that suits you.

Leave a comment:

• Signo_cypher
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    milton keynes is for people who like going round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round roundabouts

makes me dizzy
    I know... the roundabouts are very stange for anyone not used to them but they do work, in size MK is the size of birmingham but with only a population of around 250k, it takes around 20-30 minutes to drive from one side of MK to the other, and thats in heavy morning traffic.

Like I say I am currently working is Slough at present, what a hole, the traffic is god awful (probably the worst drivers I have encountered yet). Sorry if anyone here actually lives in slough, but why would you? besides the low flying 747's dont add to the attractiveness.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    milton keynes is for people who like going round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round roundabouts

makes me dizzy

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Milton Keynes yet :-)

Leave a comment:

• Signo_cypher
    replied
    Commute

I live in Milton Keynes, great range of property and not overly inflated house prices, fairly central and good road and rail links.

Currently commuting to slough 3 days a week

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    I'm in Cheltenham. Working mostly in Financial Services its about an hours commute from Birmingham, Bristol and Swindon, with all their banks, B.Socs and insurance companies, not to mention the ones in Gloucester, Stratford and Cheltenham itself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X