• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone interested in Cricket politics"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It is not proven that Singh actually called Symonds a monkey. Also the umpires should go because they committed a whole series of poor decisions during the match to both sides (the Indians got the worse of it). The reason the Aussies are being slated by their own is that they themselves have dished it out for years, including racist abuse, so they are not happy at the sight of Ponting complaining.
    The judgement to ban him was taken by an independent referee brought in for this purpose, he believed Ponting and Symonds, why would they lie. When Lehman got done for racist sledging he was banned.

You can't sack umpires mid series for bad decisions, he's the most experienced umpire on the circuit with 100+ tests so no idiot, you'd have none left within 2 years. It is money talking and a very slippery slope for cricket.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    The reason the Aussies are being slated by their own is that they themselves have dished it out for years, including racist abuse, so they are not happy at the sight of Ponting complaining.
    They are in a bit of a no-win situation though as sweeping racism under the carpet is not an option either.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    The thing that annoys me is the spineless ICC decision to remove Steve Bucknor from the 3rd test to try and appease India. A sign of India's growing importance to cricket finances and totally out of order. I would normally be anti Aussie but in this case it sounds like Ponting did the right thing. Symonds was getting racially abused by the crowd and when one of the Indian players joined in the captain stepped in as he should. I can't see why Ponting and Symonds should lie and would very much doubt they did. I think the main problem is that India lost in embarrasing circumstances, Australia celebrated as they do and India spat the dummy.
    It is not proven that Singh actually called Symonds a monkey. Also the umpires should go because they committed a whole series of poor decisions during the match to both sides (the Indians got the worse of it). The reason the Aussies are being slated by their own is that they themselves have dished it out for years, including racist abuse, so they are not happy at the sight of Ponting complaining.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    The thing that annoys me is the spineless ICC decision to remove Steve Bucknor from the 3rd test to try and appease India. A sign of India's growing importance to cricket finances and totally out of order. I would normally be anti Aussie but in this case it sounds like Ponting did the right thing. Symonds was getting racially abused by the crowd and when one of the Indian players joined in the captain stepped in as he should. I can't see why Ponting and Symonds should lie and would very much doubt they did. I think the main problem is that India lost in embarrasing circumstances, Australia celebrated as they do and India spat the dummy.
    If none of the officials heard the insult and no microphones picked it up I would say banning is not an option. That would set a precident where anybody could claim they were insulted and get somebody banned with no burden of proof.

It's all way OTT anyway, I call my little boy a monkey quite a bit and i've not yet been done for racially abusing him....

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeGregan View Post
    Aussies are the worst sledgers by far, the whole thing has made them look stupid and hypocritical.

Interestingly many aussies seem to feel the same way:
    http://www.smh.com.au/polls/sport/results.html
    I saw that too on TV, and it shows confidence humility and maturity from the aussies that Indian supporters would do well to learn from.

As a pom I would have prefferred a bit more post world cup whingeing instead of your highly dignified acceptance of being beaten. Something the kiwis need to learn

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    Aussies are the worst sledgers by far, the whole thing has made them look stupid and hypocritical.

Interestingly many aussies seem to feel the same way:
    http://www.smh.com.au/polls/sport/results.html

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I don't agree. NZ have always had one or two world class players - Lance Cairns for one. Jacob Oram is pretty damn good as well. I reckon it will be close.
    I think Chris Cairns was better (actually played them both when they played for a club in NZ)

Currently NZ has 3 players that England fans will enjoy watching. Jacob Oram, Daniel Vettori and Brendan McCallum.

I am picking Strauss to have an absolute blinder. He has signed to play for a NZ province until the tour starts, so not only will he have plenty of match practice, he will be used to NZ pitches... and thats a big factor. Not to mnetion I think he more than enough talent to smash NZ's pop gun attack (except Vettori (Bond has retired))

If you are a betting man... put a few quid on Strauss....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    it seems that no one can validate for certain as to whether Singh actually called Symonds a monkey, which if upheld would mean that the game would go on and cricket would return to being the rather dull game that it is.
    Indeed - that's part of the problem.

Symonds says yes, and Ponting made the complaint.

Singh says no, as does Tendulkar who was at the crease at the time.

Umpires didn't hear anything, nor did any microphones.

My gut feeling says that Singh is innocent, or certainly there's not enough evidence to ban him.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I am quietly confident NZ will prove to be more sh*te, you underestimate out ability to be completely rubbish. Although playing at home will help alot.
    I don't agree. NZ have always had one or two world class players - Lance Cairns for one. Jacob Oram is pretty damn good as well. I reckon it will be close.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I am looking forward to a true competitive series between two sh*te test teams NZ v England

may the best sh*te team win
    I am quietly confident NZ will prove to be more sh*te, you underestimate out ability to be completely rubbish. Although playing at home will help alot.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    There's a difference between sledging and racism. Racism is racism, no matter who it comes from.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    it seems that no one can validate for certain as to whether Singh actually called Symonds a monkey, which if upheld would mean that the game would go on and cricket would return to being the rather dull game that it is.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I cant decide who I support. Seems like 2 bullies bashing each other for the right to be the biggest ass clowns.
    It is a difficult one I agree. Both sides are guilty of wrong doing.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I cant decide who I support. Seems like 2 bullies bashing each other for the right to be the biggest ass clowns.
    I am looking forward to a true competitive series between two sh*te test teams NZ v England

may the best sh*te team win

Leave a comment:

Working...
X