• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Book Recommendations"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    ghostwritten by david mitchell.

actually, anything by david mitchell.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by scaramanga View Post
    Relating to the tight gits thread, I refuse to pay for shipping from Amazon. I currently want to buy something which costs £8 and need to spend a few quid more in order to qualify for the free shipping.

So has anyone read anything decent lately that they'd care to recommend? I don't mind going well over the minimum spend, just refuse to pay 3 quid or whatever it will be to ship something costing less than £15.
    So you have spent £7, which including postage would be a total of £10. But you are going to spend £15 to get free postage to save money..... You're losing £5!!!

You just fell for their cunning plan to get you to spend more money!!!

You must be female

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know - Ranulph Fiennes.....

Just ordered it on Amazon as it looks an interesting read...

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by robnjc View Post
    Agent ZigZag by Ben McIntyre - the true story of a womanising bank robber turned enemy agent turned double agent, & the only Brit to win the Iron Cross in WW2. If it had been made up you would not believe it.
    Halfway through. Excellent so far.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    just finished The Time Travellers Wife
    even though its a romance and written by an American woman it is a fantastic book

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by robnjc View Post
    I read it for the gardening tips
    (c) Barry Cryer
    Did you hear Playboy are doing a magazine aimed at married men? It has the same centerfold in each month

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    How about a magazine ? (NSFW)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playboy-Redh...462930&sr=8-11

For the articles of course.
    I read it for the gardening tips
    (c) Barry Cryer

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The sequel is "Flatterland" but I've not read it.
    Sorry... Flatterland is what I meant. Keep getting Spaceland (a spin off I guess) as recommendation in my Amazon list, which is why I got confused.

First half is pants, don't know about the second half.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    I love Flatland! Have read it several times, tis easy reading but makes your imagination go wild.

Tried readind Spaceland afterwards but it was mostly tripe.
    The sequel is "Flatterland" but I've not read it.

Leave a comment:

• markinbrussels
    replied
    Imperial Life in the Emerald City.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I'll add Flatland to the list, which is simple / easy reading but entertaining.
    I love Flatland! Have read it several times, tis easy reading but makes your imagination go wild.

Tried readind Spaceland afterwards but it was mostly tripe.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Any of the Postsecret books are good if you want an insight into other people's lives. Some of the things in there are a bit weird, and there are a number of heart-wrenching and though provoking snippets too.

Made me think about things, which doesn't happen very often.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    For you IT geeks out there:

"The Soul of a New Machine" by Tracy Kidder. Reads like a thriller.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Sebastian Barry - A long long way.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    The Dice Man - luke rhinehart "A psychiatrist, disillusioned with life, decides to live his life by the dice. This means choosing some options, throwing a pair of dice and doing exactly what they say! The lead character creates what is effectively a new religion, all based around the dice." Brilliant book

Driving over lemons - Chris Stewart "one time drummer of Genesis on a whim ups and leaves Uk to set up sheepshearing farm in southern spain, arrives to find a wreck of a hut of a building, no water or electricity, wifey is none too impressed and realises he knows nothing about rearing or shearing sheep and doesnt speak spanish. Funny easy reading book thats makes you seriously consider doing something similar even if only it means your out of this IR35, taxed on everything country called England.

Mr Nice - Howard Marks - true story of the rise and fall of a drug baron who got away with loads and at one point even gets the FBI to import his drugs for him unknowingly.
    Dice Man is a love it or loathe it book - I detested it, but know people who rave about it.

Driving over Lemons is good, though - almost made me move to Spain.

I'll add Flatland to the list, which is simple / easy reading but entertaining.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X