• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Selling tat on ebay"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Down the pub one lunchtime, I witnessed a couple of farmers arguing over a bill from one to the other. It took them a good half hour to come to an agreement.

When they'd left we asked the landlord what it was about, he told us that they couldn't agree about ten pence on a bill of nearly a thousand quid. When we expressed surprise, the landlord's comment was that they had become millionaires by being careful with their brass.

'nuff said.
    Yup, I've heard a few similar stories to this over the years.
    I guess it shows some people don't change when they come into money.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I can't believe there are IT contractors talking about making the odd £20 quid here or there from tat. I thought we were meant to be rich!
    Down the pub one lunchtime, I witnessed a couple of farmers arguing over a bill from one to the other. It took them a good half hour to come to an agreement.

When they'd left we asked the landlord what it was about, he told us that they couldn't agree about ten pence on a bill of nearly a thousand quid. When we expressed surprise, the landlord's comment was that they had become millionaires by being careful with their brass.

'nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm a big fan of freecycle myself.
    Same here - my sister introduced me to it and i've been a fan of it ever since.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Some of the P&P figures are getting stupid. Like £50+ for P&P for something that weighs 1 kg.

eBay is for mugs.
    I bought a very nice Portmeirion mug* off eBay a while back at a fair price. I can highly recommend it for this purpose.

* As a gift for someone else, before you start.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Some of the P&P figures are getting stupid. Like £50+ for P&P for something that weighs 1 kg.

eBay is for mugs.
    It certainly is. Saw a digital photo frame on eBay just before Christmas for £19.99 and thought that's not bad. Then I noticed the £29.99 P&P. Daresay some mugs are taken in though and "Buy Now" before they notice.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Yeah, I sold some car bumpers a few years ago (don't ask) and got a good price for them.

For me, it's not about the money but to see if anyone wants it. If not, it goes to the tip.

A permie I once worked with used to go to car boot sales to buy tat which was then re-sold on eBay.

Oh, and apparently, eBay are now coming down on sellers who charge un-realistic prices for P&P.

eBay is for mugs.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    I recently got 50 quid for a pair of knackered old tyres (well I wouldn't use them) that I was going to chuck in the tip but decided to put on fleabay at the last minute...

Local chap saw them, came over, offered me the buy it now price for cash so I only ended up paying the listing fee when I cancelled the auction early..

There's money in tat I tell ya....

And don't forget to charge a little bit extra in your P&P costs for added profit
    Yeah, I sold some car bumpers a few years ago (don't ask) and got a good price for them.

For me, it's not about the money but to see if anyone wants it. If not, it goes to the tip.

A permie I once worked with used to go to car boot sales to buy tat which was then re-sold on eBay.

Oh, and apparently, eBay are now coming down on sellers who charge un-realistic prices for P&P.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    I recently got 50 quid for a pair of knackered old tyres (well I wouldn't use them) that I was going to chuck in the tip but decided to put on fleabay at the last minute...

Local chap saw them, came over, offered me the buy it now price for cash so I only ended up paying the listing fee when I cancelled the auction early..

There's money in tat I tell ya....

And don't forget to charge a little bit extra in your P&P costs for added profit

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Been busy I'm afraid. Moved on to Plan C. ie. Keeping a job for more than a year. Hey i even managed a review and a pay increase!!!!
    Oh how the mighty have fallen....

Review ??? Pay Increase ???

Permie hell my friend, permie hell....

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    and you are????
    Well, I'm definately not Granville.

Having worked in Bracko for a while, the fact you had a shop there stuck in my memory at the time!

Apologies for the "failed" bit. Not quite sure if that was how it ended!

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Who's MF?
    Need you ask?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    The (failed) Arkwright of Bracknell.

HTH
    and you are????

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Talking about ebay and tat, whatever happened to MF ???
    Been busy I'm afraid. Moved on to Plan C. ie. Keeping a job for more than a year. Hey i even managed a review and a pay increase!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If only I knew what 4x4 to buy.

Bloody newbies!
    Oi! I resemble that remark

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If only I knew what 4x4 to buy.