• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NHS Dental services ?"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyW View Post
    who
    whom

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    There are some still out there - NHS direct website will give you a list of local dentists and whether they are taking NHS patients.

My private one will treat my girls under NHS if I stay private, so that's why I'm with them.
    Useful info. Thanks. That's http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/find/results/ if anyone is interested.

My clinic is listed there but the page doesn't mention anything about NHS treatments, and neither do the rest of the clinics it lists for my area. My dentist didn't offer NHS treatment to me some years ago when I joined, but I think he does it for some patients.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I didn't think there were any NHS ones left.
    There are some still out there - NHS direct website will give you a list of local dentists and whether they are taking NHS patients.

My private one will treat my girls under NHS if I stay private, so that's why I'm with them.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    The fact that there is at least one is far from bad, dude.

Leave a comment:

• RandyW
    replied
    Eh?

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    who

Leave a comment:

• RandyW
    replied
    Well , to be honest , I don't know any ITs except one which is far from bad
    who

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Especially their IT contractors...
    Well , to be honest , I don't know any ITs except one which is far from bad

Leave a comment:

• RandyW
    replied
    That is why most eastern European migrants are "low-skilled" - they have nothing to lose and simply leave their homes.
    Especially their IT contractors...

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    How hard can dentistry be? For all but a minority of procedures, surely it isn't exactly rocket science Many's the time when I have wanted for the tools to polish my own teeth for example. How hard can even doing a filling be? Judging by the article I quoted, I'm not alone, with people even attempting quite major jobs - on themselves. I once removed a mole that was bugging me, with a pair of wire cutters.

Generally eastern European candidates ( with some exceptions ) are not good candidates for professional/higher(ish) expertise work. The problem is with the language and cultural/experience. Good dentists ( or other eastern professionals ) will be older and not willing to migrate. That is why most eastern European migrants are "low-skilled" - they have nothing to lose and simply leave their homes.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Eastern european Dentists that will be coming for the money in the UK are not ones u want to fix your teeth. Not until at leaset they have worked 3 - 4 years here..
    How hard can dentistry be? For all but a minority of procedures, surely it isn't exactly rocket science Many's the time when I have wanted for the tools to polish my own teeth for example. How hard can even doing a filling be? Judging by the article I quoted, I'm not alone, with people even attempting quite major jobs - on themselves. I once removed a mole that was bugging me, with a pair of wire cutters.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    My dentists in Canada were all pretty good and private. Though I hardly think that because you are private it instantly makes you a great dentist. The ones I had were all average and fixed up all my bad filling and such pretty good, though some repeated trips were necessary to fine tune the filling...she didn't tell me these new fangled white ones actually are painful for a while after...

Anyway, have just recently gone to NHS dentist here and she was good, but I'm used to having my teeth scaled and polished each checkup. She didn't d that so I had to complain to the practise, now I get it done each time. I just had a post-crown put in and the work was done to a high standard - have had no issues so far with it.

As for fees, as mentioned there are three bands. But you can get an exemption if you are on a certain level of tax-credits. look into that.

I found my dentist by sheer luck. Had an emergency - phoned NHS direct they made an emergency appointment with them. While there I made an appointment for a checkup. The practise I go to is entirely NHS so there was no pressure to change to private.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Like GPs, Dentists have it a little too good. Let's hope schemes like the following will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consume...in_page_id=512
    Eastern european Dentists that will be coming for the money in the UK are not ones u want to fix your teeth. Not until at leaset they have worked 3 - 4 years here..

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Like GPs, Dentists have it a little too good. Let's hope schemes like the following will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consume...in_page_id=512

Couple offer Eastern Europe dentists on the cheap
    Two entrepreneurs are to recruit 1,000 dentists from Eastern Europe to help solve the crisis in Health Service provision. They plan to set up a national chain charging the same or less than NHS clinics...The Wilsons aim to build seven 24-hour centres near motorway junctions with patients expected to drive.The first, employing 150 dentists, will open just off the M20 near Maidstone, Kent...Their dentists will be offered free housing but given salaries in line with what they would earn back in Eastern Europe.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Now that I am private (gave up looking for NHS), the dentist recommends visits to the hygenist every 3 months - and she is almost as expensive as the dentist himself (£30 for 10 minutes). I never went that often even as a kid. And most of that 10 minutes is the hygenist talking garbage and pretending to be a dentist. There is big bucks in dentistry at the moment it seems and I dread the day when I need anymajor work done.
    The hygenist that I see every three months is more expensive than the dentist that I see once a year.

But since tea, coffee, red wine and cigarette smoke are what are usually in my mouth my teeth do get quite badly stained.

I have been with private dentists for years. I didn't think there were any NHS ones left.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X