• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Crisis may make 1929 look a 'walk in the park'"

Collapse

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah.

So it was deja vu again again again then?
    This time around yes

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Again?
    yes - and it's eerily similar to the last one, or was it the one before?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Oddly enough, historically speaking, Goldman Sachs being lauded for particularly clever trades and making a huge profit is invariably a prelude to a severe crash.

Remember you read it here first.
    Heard this before about Golman Sachs going public before 1929 crash. Their share issue in 2002(exactly which year?) was supposed to bring on the 4 horsemen of apocolypse. Never happened...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Oddly enough, historically speaking, Goldman Sachs being lauded for particularly clever trades and making a huge profit is invariably a prelude to a severe crash.

Remember you read it here first.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    LOTR online flopped quite badly.

I'm sensing deja-vu here..

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Online games battle for top spot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7156078.stm

Challenges to the dominance of World of Warcraft over online games and gamers look set to emerge in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Anyway, WoW must be awesome, but I purposefully don't play these games since Dark Age of Camelot which was brilliant but too time consuming - you have to login every day or you fall back in Exp behind your buddies who will move on to kill bigger monsters that you can possibly handle.

WoW == too much time consumed, I play games only casually nowadays.
    You should try Everquest (1 not 2) - there is the biggest time sink I have ever seen. You can get from lvl 1-70 in WoW in about the same time it takes to set up a raid in EQ..

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I bought a lounge suite from them 3 years ago. Has also lasted very well but don't think thats down to the brilliance of dfs.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I was dissapointed by their range when I last looked (a couple of years ago) & I've no idea how durable their products are either, but at those prices I suppose you can afford to treat them as throw-aways after a couple of years.

Any comment on quality?
    The electric chairs have lasted very well - but of course one range will vary from another range.

Personally I always buy cheapish. Went to my builder's house the other day - he had paid £100 for a top of range microwave last year and now it is broken. I paid £25 3 years ago and its still going strong.

I hate the idea of throwing things away after a few years - both environmentally and cos I am tight!

We also have an IKEA sofa bed - which is very good. I have a very bad back so am very sensitive to my chairs. I need lots of support.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I bought 2 electric recliners 2 years ago - they were ace. Took the mother-out-law there to get similar - but will deliver to North Wales.

Maybe it is just our local branch that is good? BTW it is Sidcup.
    I was dissapointed by their range when I last looked (a couple of years ago) & I've no idea how durable their products are either, but at those prices I suppose you can afford to treat them as throw-aways after a couple of years.

Any comment on quality?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    whadya think about DFS?
    I bought 2 electric recliners 2 years ago - they were ace. Took the mother-out-law there to get similar - but will deliver to North Wales.

Maybe it is just our local branch that is good? BTW it is Sidcup.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Go back to playing with your beloved vermin
    :-)
    Just got back and having a nice meal

Anyway, WoW must be awesome, but I purposefully don't play these games since Dark Age of Camelot which was brilliant but too time consuming - you have to login every day or you fall back in Exp behind your buddies who will move on to kill bigger monsters that you can possibly handle.

WoW == too much time consumed, I play games only casually nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    1) recession hits hard

2) people cut down on unnecessary expenditure (this means everything apart from food, booze, morgage)
    £8.99 a month ? That's hardly a major expenditure

3) WoW loses players - lots of them: they will be too busy looking for work IRL rather than for gold there
    There are now 9 million players. You completely underestimate how many play wow and keep Blizzard cash rich.

4) Blizzard reduces expenditure on the game and finally shuts down servers
    Again, WOW is a cash cow, it ain't gonna happen.

There you have it - you heard it here first!
    Go back to playing with your beloved vermin :-)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    And this affects me in World of Warcraft how exactly ?
    Ok, just for you:

1) recession hits hard
    2) people cut down on unnecessary expenditure (this means everything apart from food, booze, morgage)
    3) WoW loses players - lots of them: they will be too busy looking for work IRL rather than for gold there
    4) Blizzard reduces expenditure on the game and finally shuts down servers

There you have it - you heard it here first!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    And this affects me in World of Warcraft how exactly ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X