• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ex-CIA agent: We used torture and it worked"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Doesn't matter if he got life sentence in proper court - torturing people is becoming scum like nazies and communists.
    You mentioned the 'N' people first. You lose. Damn.

That means the pro-torturers get to win.

If you want to be like them then fair enough - I would support law that would allow to torture people who, like you, advocate torture.
    Oh! So YOU are a pro-torturer. Phew! What a relief.

It's OK folks, the anti-torturers have won the argument. Torturing is officially bad.

At least we can move on now.
    Last edited by BrowneIssue; 14 December 2007, 17:34. Reason: Trypo

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    apology

inconvenience
    Now now, this guy is so braindead that picking on his poor spelling is really beyond the point.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    go to jail for a very long time = out in 24 months with an apoligy for any inconvenienced caused

Mailman
    apology

inconvenience

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    go to jail for a very long time = out in 24 months with an apoligy for any inconvenienced caused
    Doesn't matter if he got life sentence in proper court - torturing people is becoming scum like nazies and communists. If you want to be like them then fair enough - I would support law that would allow to torture people who, like you, advocate torture.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Only court can make a decision that someone is a terrorist. Should this decision be ever made that person would go to jail for a very long time.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I'm talking about a scenario in the UK in which a terrorist commits an atrocity, there is no room for doubt, so it's pointless going to trial, and prior to the execution (he's going to die anyway), there may be some information that may be useful through torture.
    So instead of executing the Brazilian on the underground, they should have tortured him to death instead.

Excellent plan. Well done.

Go study some history.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Strangely, a remarkably effective technique against terrorists.
    Only court can make a decision that someone is a terrorist. Should this decision be ever made that person would go to jail for a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Well, the simple answer is to not torture them then.

Arrest then, give them a jolly good ticking off, and send them on their way.

I'm sure that will work.
    Strangely, a remarkably effective technique against terrorists.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    They don't tell you everything - they say what they do, but they don't say the words being said while this is done - these words are far more important from torture point of view then actual action, that's why they erased those tapes.
    Yep, they also did what they call a "lite" version. The real version includes putting clingfilm round the face, cutting a small hole and pouring the water in...now that is mean.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Not sure if it has been posted but here is a link to watwerboarding in practice. It looks grim.
    They don't tell you everything - they say what they do, but they don't say the words being said while this is done - these words are far more important from torture point of view then actual action, that's why they erased those tapes.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Not sure if it has been posted but here is a link to watwerboarding in practice. It looks grim.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    We could argue about this ad infinitum. I think it's suffice to say that you and I aren't going to agree about these things anytime soon...
    Fair do's....

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Ask no questions hear no lies. they know what you want, not what you want to hear.
    ask no questions. when they start to talk, leave the room and ignore them, start again later.
    same again.
    and again.
    and again
    and again.
    Then don't touch them, just sit and listen. they will tell you everything, and they will tell you the truth.

Extraction 101

Should be used as a matter of course, on Drug dealers, Pedophiles & Terrorists

Just for the hell of it

Leave a comment:

• RandyW
    replied
    Yes.

Torture operates on many levels; physical, psychological, and to varying degrees ; subtle, mild, moderate, extreme, lethal.

I'm not advocating torture for personal sadistic pleasure. I haven't specified what level of torture either. So don't assume anything.

But there is a time and place for everything, in differing degrees. Don't write off torture without understanding the varying levels and applications.

Believe you me, if there was an easier way, then I'd be all for it.

My greatest hope is that one day, there will be a device that sits painlessly on a person's head, linked to a monitor. When asked a question such as "Where were you on the night of the 15th" and the subject answers "At me mum's", the subconcious blows the gaff and shows the suspect stabbing 89 year old Ethel in the Kitchen.

That would be completely painless and not involve torture but allow for rapid conviction and summary justice. Who could argue with that ? Suspects cannot lie anymore and you always get the truth.

But back to reality, yes, torture comes in varying degrees and with different levels of effect.

To be honest, "torture" is such a medieval term, (when it usually was a barbaric and lethal process).

I think the term "cooerced cooperation" is more acceptable, as it covers the gamut of techniques, and doesn't necessarily mean "lethal or barbaric".

I was talking in the case of Terrorist Bob were it is pointless having a trial, since there is undeniable proof from CCTV, the media, and even Terrorist Bob says on TV "Yeah, it was me, he he".

OFC, such a situation would never arise, because terrorists are not stupid. I just wanted to create an extreme case and see at what point people would say "Hmmm...ok..in that case I concede" or whether they were rigid and inflexible in their thinking. Rigid and inflexible will not defeat the fluid dynamics of terrorism.

You seem to labour under the misapprehension that if we were to meet their force with equal or greater force of our own, then they would hate us even more ?

Wake up for pity's sake won't you ?

They hate us and all that we stand for with a burning passion. It is not possible for them to hate us even more, because they are at the apex of their hate. Do you not comprehend the sort of people who we are dealing with here ? Do you live in La-La land ? Does everything look pink in your world through your rose-coloured spectacles ?

I wish I lived in your world. I really do.

But we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto, and our way of life is under threat. It's too late to finger point and find out who started it. The decision is clear. We either protect our life, or we do not. We either meet force with force, or we do not. We either continue to exist, or we do not.

Laws that are inviolate do not support a populace.
    They paralyse and strangle it.
    We could argue about this ad infinitum. I think it's suffice to say that you and I aren't going to agree about these things anytime soon...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Are you saying that sometimes it's OK to torture people and other times it isn't?
    Yes.

Torture operates on many levels; physical, psychological, and to varying degrees ; subtle, mild, moderate, extreme, lethal.

I'm not advocating torture for personal sadistic pleasure. I haven't specified what level of torture either. So don't assume anything.

But there is a time and place for everything, in differing degrees. Don't write off torture without understanding the varying levels and applications.

Believe you me, if there was an easier way, then I'd be all for it.

My greatest hope is that one day, there will be a device that sits painlessly on a person's head, linked to a monitor. When asked a question such as "Where were you on the night of the 15th" and the subject answers "At me mum's", the subconcious blows the gaff and shows the suspect stabbing 89 year old Ethel in the Kitchen.

That would be completely painless and not involve torture but allow for rapid conviction and summary justice. Who could argue with that ? Suspects cannot lie anymore and you always get the truth.

But back to reality, yes, torture comes in varying degrees and with different levels of effect.

To be honest, "torture" is such a medieval term, (when it usually was a barbaric and lethal process).

I think the term "cooerced cooperation" is more acceptable, as it covers the gamut of techniques, and doesn't necessarily mean "lethal or barbaric".

You're saying that because I don't agree with torturing then executing people without a trial as you advocate that I may as well be working with terrorists?
    I was talking in the case of Terrorist Bob were it is pointless having a trial, since there is undeniable proof from CCTV, the media, and even Terrorist Bob says on TV "Yeah, it was me, he he".

OFC, such a situation would never arise, because terrorists are not stupid. I just wanted to create an extreme case and see at what point people would say "Hmmm...ok..in that case I concede" or whether they were rigid and inflexible in their thinking. Rigid and inflexible will not defeat the fluid dynamics of terrorism.

As for there not being a level playing field, I'm glad it isn't level. I wouldn't want to live in a country where the playing field was level - We start behaving like terrorists we become just as bad as they are and they have even more motivation to hate us.
    You seem to labour under the misapprehension that if we were to meet their force with equal or greater force of our own, then they would hate us even more ?

Wake up for pity's sake won't you ?

They hate us and all that we stand for with a burning passion. It is not possible for them to hate us even more, because they are at the apex of their hate. Do you not comprehend the sort of people who we are dealing with here ? Do you live in La-La land ? Does everything look pink in your world through your rose-coloured spectacles ?

I wish I lived in your world. I really do.

But we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto, and our way of life is under threat. It's too late to finger point and find out who started it. The decision is clear. We either protect our life, or we do not. We either meet force with force, or we do not. We either continue to exist, or we do not.

Laws that are inviolate do not support a populace.
    They paralyse and strangle it.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 12 December 2007, 22:33.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X